Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

I am a madman and I would like to achieve triple boot (Mac Os 9 / Mac Os X / Linux) on my iMac 2001 500Mhz.

Is this pure madness or it is achievable?
Any guides / suggestions / caveats?

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Totally achievable. My PowerBook g4 with osx leopard, ubuntu remix, and void linux.

20200701_200001.jpg

Just hold alt/option key at power up to select which to boot.

Cheers

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Thanks for the help guys!

My os9 and osx are already installed in the same partition...

What should I do?
Simply shrink it a bit and install with automatic partitioning in the free space?

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hi all!

I am finally ready to install.
I followed instructions on mintppc website but when I get to the partition moment it says that everything is done for me.

I don't like this so I hit "back" and it got stuck.

Am I doing something wrong?

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
After a bit of fiddling I did a normal Debian install.
Is it possible to install mintppc manually, are there scripts / commands?

ltpitt

macrumors regular
Feb 18, 2020
Hello Jeroen!

After the successful Debian install grub starts with weird colors (but I guess that is OK), I start Linux and...
Black screen forever.

k24a1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
louisville, KY
is GREAT. however i have issues when turning down brightness (absolutely chugs, i think i2c-dev or KMS may have something to do with it), trying to get network-manager on here (doesn't want to appear and probably gives up), and GPU acceleration probably not being all too great, even with firmware-linux-nonfree installed. unsure if this is still under active development at all, but i'd like to get some help. if else i might just need to try void again lol

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Since it's Debian it is still maintained by debian-ports. The remix was basically an alternate method to get it installed. The chugging happens because pbbuttonsd is flaky in debian 10/sid and ubuntu16 (it works perfect on ubuntu12). It's the daemon that enables the media keys for volume/brightness. Not much you can do other than disable it once you set your desired brightness so that it quits eating cpu. If network-manager doesn't work for you try wicd (and/or wicd-gtk). That's what worked for me.

Cheers

k24a1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
louisville, KY
network-manager works fine now. guess i had to restart after installing network-manager-gnome or something to get the UI to work. does void have any issues with pbbuttonsd? i'm considering trying that next and giving openBSD/netBSD another chance possibly.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Yep, it'll have same issue with pbbuttonsd. I think it boils down to the newer kernels messing with it somehow. The same version of pbbuttonsd works flawlessly under ubuntu12 using the 3.x kernel. Ubuntu16 uses the 4.x kernel and Void uses the 4.x or 5.x kernel and they have issues with pbbuttonsd as well.

Cheers

k24a1

macrumors regular
Mar 1, 2019
louisville, KY
The same version of pbbuttonsd works flawlessly under ubuntu12 using the 3.x kernel.
thanks, might give that a whirl again. do you know if otter-browser is available for ubuntu12? that might work better with some sites since it runs on the webkit engine iirc

ShiggyMiyamoto

macrumors 6502a
Mar 29, 2004
Just outside Boston, MA.

wicknix! What's up dude? You were helping me in #voidlinux-ppc on iRC earlier this week, and I am forever grateful, but since you made a Debian Sid and Lubuntu remix would you be able to do the same with Void? I can't get it to boot no matter what I do.

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
Honestly, i'm really only fluent with Debian based stuff. Void was, and still is, very foreign to me. Originally when the powerpc port of void was released it would boot on my powerbook, but not my mac minis or G5's. Once they spun newer iso's i was finally able to boot on the other machines. My G5's however did not like the 5.x kernel at all, and i had to use the 4.x kernel instead to get a stable system. I can only suggest trying the void xfce.iso, as that's what worked for me. The only time i used the void rootfs tarballs was for chroot environments inside of ubuntu 12 to play around with. Not sure what else you can try. PowerPC Linux can be finicky on different hardware. I'd suggest maybe trying Adelie if you want to start with a minimal install and install only what you want. The Debian netinstall.iso or remix.iso would also do the same. Otherwise i'm not sure what else to suggest for your machine.

Cheers

dr.zeissler

macrumors member
Oct 1, 2018
Hi there. I am a retro gamer. I am not interested in browsing the web, using actual programs.
I am only interested in playing some (old) games and watching demos/intros. My target-systems are:

G4-Mini (1.25..1.5/R9200) + LaCie USB or FW-Speakers
G4-Imac (700/GF2mx) + AppleProSpeaker
G4-Cube (450/R128pro) + AppleProSpeaker
G3-B+W (500Mhz Upgrade Radeon PCI + Voodoo2)

What (retro) Linux does install and offers me 3D acceleration and sound output on the specific hardware out of the box (see above)?

Thx
Doc

Last edited:

galgot

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2015
EDIT: Forgot the "apt-mark hold linux-image-4.15.0-2-powerpc64" before any upgrade :/
Upgrading now :)

Hi,
I installed on a iMac G5 1.8Ghz. all when fine until I
apt update && apt upgrade
it updated until it stopped with an error about the keyring.
Still managed to install wget, and get a newer keyring here :
installed it, but now
apt update && apt upgrade
gives me :
**** Seccomp prevented execution of sys call 0000000403 on architecture powerpc ****
E: Method http as died unexpectedly
E: Sub-process http returned an error code (31)
Any idea how to solve that ?

Edit: reverted back to the 2019.11.05 keyring. Still get the same error when updating or trying to install something.
Funny thing, it agreed to install wget after the first errors... but now no joy .

Last edited:

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
G5, dual core, Radeon 9600 XT, 4 GB RAM, separate, top bay 200GB HD

You all are doing better than I am. The Debian/Mint Remix installed and booted to a black screen. One error, Failure to Load Kernel Module, and Black, Blank Dead screen. This has been the response by Debian 8, 9, 10 installs including trying netinstalls. Can’t even access a terminal.

I have not tried the “old” boot choice, I also added radeon.agpmode=-1, I haven’t tried radeon.modeset=0.

I have never been able to find a straight answer for what ”failure to load kernel module” problem is actually addressing (WiFi, GPU, wrong phase of the moon?), maybe it’s that 5.4 vs 4.x kernel thing.

MacMav

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
Yaaaaaaaaa, NO. So I tried “old” with the radeon kicker and I ended up at tty1. Same “failed to Load Kernel Module”. Blank screen, etc etc etc.

Regrouping
MacMav

wicknix

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 4, 2017
Wisconsin, USA
This may sound odd, but.... do you have dual dvi out? If so try switching to the other port. Its fixed blank screen issues for others in the past. Worth a shot. The early kernel module message shouldn't be important as later in the boot stage they get loaded again. Your G5 must be like mine. Picky. It won't boot 5.x kernels 9 out of 10 times. The 4.x kernels boot without issue. In the last 2 years of testing only Ubuntu and Void (with 4.4 kernel) are stable on it. Everything else fails to boot, or boots then crashes shortly after. No issues with my single 1.6ghz G5 or other G4 machines. Those run anything you toss at them. The dual 2ghz G5 on the other hand, not so much.

Cheers

MacMaverick855

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2021
Marion, IA
The video card has a port for the 27” Apple Cinema Display and a DVI port on the same card. I do have access to one monitor with a DVI cord. I’ll give it a shot.

My attempt to load Debian is in an effort to get the WiFi card going. I think you were the one who told me Debian 10 might work with my BCM4306 Rev 3 card.

And I agree with you as far as taking anything we throw at the G4s, I have two machines running 16.04 right now, although one of them is hung up on an update install. I may have to try to undo that and leave it alone.

Thanks,
MacMav

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.