Definitely wait until WWDC to buy a new MacBook Pro

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
2,495
3,664
Jamaica
It is looking more likely a new MacBook Pro (Mid 2017) will be launching at WWDC 2017. Users can expect to see the addition of the Intel Kabylake processor. Part of what took so long was due to suitable part not being ready. Now they are and todays launch of a revised Surface Pro (2017) with the 7 th generation Intel processor is another sign it will also be coming to Apple.

We all know Apple has kind of suffered from Intel's technological pain points over the past couple of years. But, according industry analyst, part of this fast update cycle (9 months after the 2016 MacBook Pro with Kabylake), is another sign of Apple's commitment to the Mac.

There is not much else known about the update apart from possible support for up to 32 GBs of RAM (although industry analyst say this is desktop class RAM). With performance and battery life critical to Apple notebooks, it most likely will be low power DDR3.

Computer World has a good synopsis of what to expect:
http://computerworld.com/article/31...s-kaby-lake-macbook-upgrades-coming-soon.html

Bottom line, if you want to get the best bang for your bucks, wait a month or two. Sometimes, announcements doesn't mean same day or next week availability. If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model.

Do take into account, if Apple announces these new Kabylake processors at WWDC, they might not be available until the end of June. Thats more than a week without a new computer, if you decide to return it and wait. So, if you can wait or struggle through June with what you, you can save yourself the convenience and have a new MacBook Pro to unbox. Of course, custom models with faster parts (CPU, more RAM, more powerful GPU) will likely push it out to probably a couple months.

So, take these logistics into account when making your purchase. If your work is critical, then, you might have to make the sacrifice and go with the 2016 model and sell it later. Just accept the reality, its gonna be devalued.
 

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
1,579
575
Do you think the older 2016 model will be cheaper after WWDC announcement? My MBA 2011 is so slow doing any sort of photo processing, I'm in a market for MBP 15". I see BH Photo already has $200 off one particular model I wanted.
 

conkr2507

macrumors newbie
May 22, 2017
4
0
Is it possible that the 13" MBP get a dedicated GPU at the WWDC update ?
 
Last edited:

SirithX

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2007
415
110
San Francisco
Do you think the older 2016 model will be cheaper after WWDC announcement? My MBA 2011 is so slow doing any sort of photo processing, I'm in a market for MBP 15". I see BH Photo already has $200 off one particular model I wanted.
I am betting that there will be... I'm very tempted right now to buy a used 2015 model but assuming the new machines are available sometime relatively soon, then we should also expect a lot of used machines to enter the market as people plan their upgrades.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TripleMoxy

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
2,495
3,664
Jamaica
Do you think the older 2016 model will be cheaper after WWDC announcement? My MBA 2011 is so slow doing any sort of photo processing, I'm in a market for MBP 15". I see BH Photo already has $200 off one particular model I wanted.
Anything in the Pro line from 2015 or later will be way faster than your 2011 MacBook Air. 2015, 2016 Or 2017, you are gonna see a dramatic difference in SSD I/O, RAM and the retina display. So go for it.
[doublepost=1495561339][/doublepost]
Is it possible that the 13" MBP get a dedicated GPU at the WWDC update ?
Thermal constraints would suggest no. If you want a discrete GPU, you will still have to look to a 15 inch model.
 

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
1,579
575
Anything in the Pro line from 2015 or later will be way faster than your 2011 MacBook Air. 2015, 2016 Or 2017, you are gonna see a dramatic difference in SSD I/O, RAM and the retina display. So go for it.
[doublepost=1495561339][/doublepost]
Thermal constraints would suggest no. If you want a discrete GPU, you will still have to look to a 15 inch model.
Yeah I'm itching to pull the trigger but two more weeks wait for WWDC wouldn't hurt either.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Patcell

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
2,495
3,664
Jamaica
Yeah I'm itching to pull the trigger but two more weeks wait for WWDC wouldn't hurt either.
Just remember, there is a possibility it won't be same day availability. Could be a couple weeks wait. Then again, Kabylake could pretty much be like a drop in upgrade making the wait just a week.
 

Guda.FL

macrumors 6502
Sep 23, 2015
334
398
It might be a good time before the wwdc hits - to sell the late 16 pro for those who are not thrilled about it. Maybe get a better price?
 

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
1,373
122
The Kaby Lake chips used in the new Surface Pro are likely not the ones Apple is waiting on for the 2017 MacBook Pro refresh. The new SP uses the 15w Kaby Lake chips, but the 13" MBP (with the exception of the esc key edition) use the 28w chips. Chips like the 7267U that are destined for the 13" MBP have not appeared in the wild yet, which is a pretty good sign that Apple won't be releasing updates any time soon. 28w Skylake chips started showing up in other PCs about 6 months before Apple released the 2016 MBP, but the Kaby Lake timeline could be shorter since it's not a complete redesign.

A refresh is coming, so if you can wait, then at least wait until WWDC to see if anything is announced. Don't be disappointed if it's not though.
 

maflynn

Moderator
Staff member
May 3, 2009
66,940
33,924
Boston
It is looking more likely a new MacBook Pro (Mid 2017)
How so?

I've not seen any compelling news stories that it will happen, only conjecture. While I'm not disagreeing with you that we may see something. I think people are convincing themselves this is a done deal and its not. There's been nothing (AFAIK) from apple to give us any indication that we'll definitely see a MBP refresh. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do see it, but I don't think its a case of it becoming more likely.
 

Mefisto

macrumors 65816
Mar 9, 2015
1,340
1,644
Finland
How so?

I've not seen any compelling news stories that it will happen, only conjecture. While I'm not disagreeing with you that we may see something. I think people are convincing themselves this is a done deal and its not. There's been nothing (AFAIK) from apple to give us any indication that we'll definitely see a MBP refresh. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do see it, but I don't think its a case of it becoming more likely.
My sentiments exactly.

So far this looks like another case of some users building up their expectations based on nothing concrete, really, and in the process setting themselves up for disappointment. Which will, naturally, be voiced vehemently during the keynote and the months that follow it.

But let's see what happens, I'm more than happy with being proven wrong. The wait is almost over.
 
  • Like
Reactions: dyn and Rina11

BenTrovato

macrumors 68030
Jun 29, 2012
2,933
2,011
Canada
If I was Apple I'm not sure I would do a new MBP. What's the point? What GPU would they go with? Improving Touchbar after only a few months on the market would be a horrible move. All this for Kaby Lake?

Apple needs to sell iOS 11 hard to get prepared for the 1k iPhone 8. They need new tablets and iMacs. Rolling a MBP into this doesn't make sense to me, but then again anything is possible.
 
  • Like
Reactions: Rina11

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
10,301
8,172
Here(-ish)
It is looking more likely a new MacBook Pro (Mid 2017) will be launching at WWDC 2017. Users can expect to see the addition of the Intel Kabylake processor. Part of what took so long was due to suitable part not being ready. Now they are and todays launch of a revised Surface Pro (2017) with the 7 th generation Intel processor is another sign it will also be coming to Apple.

We all know Apple has kind of suffered from Intel's technological pain points over the past couple of years. But, according industry analyst, part of this fast update cycle (9 months after the 2016 MacBook Pro with Kabylake), is another sign of Apple's commitment to the Mac.

There is not much else known about the update apart from possible support for up to 32 GBs of RAM (although industry analyst say this is desktop class RAM). With performance and battery life critical to Apple notebooks, it most likely will be low power DDR3.

Computer World has a good synopsis of what to expect:
http://computerworld.com/article/31...s-kaby-lake-macbook-upgrades-coming-soon.html

Bottom line, if you want to get the best bang for your bucks, wait a month or two. Sometimes, announcements doesn't mean same day or next week availability. If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model.

Do take into account, if Apple announces these new Kabylake processors at WWDC, they might not be available until the end of June. Thats more than a week without a new computer, if you decide to return it and wait. So, if you can wait or struggle through June with what you, you can save yourself the convenience and have a new MacBook Pro to unbox. Of course, custom models with faster parts (CPU, more RAM, more powerful GPU) will likely push it out to probably a couple months.

So, take these logistics into account when making your purchase. If your work is critical, then, you might have to make the sacrifice and go with the 2016 model and sell it later. Just accept the reality, its gonna be devalued.
So pretty much what was discussed here then:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/05/16/new-macbooks-coming-at-wwdc/
 

aevan

macrumors 68040
Feb 5, 2015
3,333
4,427
Serbia
So, take these logistics into account when making your purchase. If your work is critical, then, you might have to make the sacrifice and go with the 2016 model and sell it later. Just accept the reality, its gonna be devalued.
Also, there is a chance of a slightly faster AMD GPU, possibly a rebranded 4xx (550, 555, 560) with higher clock speeds. I don't expect anything dramatic (as far as I know, it's still to early for Vega) but any boost is nice. Then again, perhaps GPUs will stay the same.

But good advice, unless you need a MacBook Pro NOW, it's smart to wait for a few weeks and see what's coming. If you do need it now - then it's fine, it'll probably be just a small spec update.

Also, not so sure abour 32Gb. If they do put it, it will be at a cost of battery life (maybe they cave in to pressure and offer that option).
 

NJPT

macrumors regular
Sep 3, 2011
151
200
How so?

I've not seen any compelling news stories that it will happen, only conjecture. While I'm not disagreeing with you that we may see something. I think people are convincing themselves this is a done deal and its not. There's been nothing (AFAIK) from apple to give us any indication that we'll definitely see a MBP refresh. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do see it, but I don't think its a case of it becoming more likely.
I don't really understand the high degree of skepticism about this. For years, Mark Gurman has been the most reliable source of inside Apple info we have, and his track record speaks for itself. If he made this prediction 5 months before WWDC, I'd concede it'd be less probable; plans can obviously change. But for him to give so firm a prediction just 3 weeks before the event puts this rumor on near certainty.

And as for Apple itself not giving us any indication of an MBP refresh, when have they ever given us advance notice of a spec bump? What kind of information were you expecting? If anything, I'd say Apple has already leaked this somewhat. Back on February 6, references to next-generation models were discovered in MacOS 10.12.14 beta (https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/07/kaby-lake-macbook-pro-references-macos-10-12-4/). I doubt Apple would have had those references there if MBPs weren't being updated at least relatively soon.
 

MrGuder

macrumors 68030
Nov 30, 2012
2,819
1,805
Please:

1. Fix the keyboard issues - I want a 100% reliable for now and down the road KB experience
2. Make the TouchBar optional on the 15" models
I would like this to happen just like everyone else but then reality sets in and I truly believe that it's way too soon for Apple to fix both of these issues on June 5th. Apple just doesn't work this fast. #1 most likely will be addressed in Oct. #2 most likely won't happen on the 15", it would be admitting people are not using the TB feature and Apple wants just the opposite they believe everyone loves and wants TB even if it's not true.

I believe Kaby lake will happen on June 5th but not much else.
 
  • Like
Reactions: TripleMoxy

Mr. Dee

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 4, 2003
2,495
3,664
Jamaica
I would like this to happen just like everyone else but then reality sets in and I truly believe that it's way too soon for Apple to fix both of these issues on June 5th. Apple just doesn't work this fast. #1 most likely will be addressed in Oct. #2 most likely won't happen on the 15", it would be admitting people are not using the TB feature and Apple wants just the opposite they believe everyone loves and wants TB even if it's not true.

I believe Kaby lake will happen on June 5th but not much else.
They already have a non-touch bar version of the 13 inch 2016 MBP, I don't think it would be that hard to deliver a 15 inch model without it too. The mix of SKU's also suggest Apple likely test multiple variations of their products internally. In fact, the story goes there were two variants of the 12 inch retina MacBook being developed concurrently; the current one we have on market and another model with an additional USB-C port. Some performance issues I believe resulted in them going with what we now have.

So, they could have been testing a 15 inch without touchbar internally, in addition to improved keyboard and a variety of other features. Who knows, they probably have 100 prototypes and chose the two they thought felt right.

Then again, the Mac Pro would suggest that wasn't the case or it wouldn't be taking nearly 6 years to deliver a new model.
 
  • Like
Reactions: turbineseaplane

groove-agent

macrumors 65816
Jan 13, 2006
1,217
1,034
So it's Kaby Lake and 32 GB. I don't think that addresses enough of the shortcomings for me to buy it. I doubt they're going to include proper ports, offer antiglare, bring back the mag-safe, upgrade that awful keyboard, or introduce second SSD. However if they do offer upgradable RAM and SSD(s) I might consider one so I don't have to pay their outrageous overprice upgrade fees. Right now my hackintosh / 2012 cMBP is far better in value compared to than anything Apple offers IMO, but I would love a new MBP that I could fall in love with all over again.
 

richinaus

macrumors 65816
Oct 26, 2014
1,226
975
I don't really understand the high degree of skepticism about this. For years, Mark Gurman has been the most reliable source of inside Apple info we have, and his track record speaks for itself. If he made this prediction 5 months before WWDC, I'd concede it'd be less probable; plans can obviously change. But for him to give so firm a prediction just 3 weeks before the event puts this rumor on near certainty.

And as for Apple itself not giving us any indication of an MBP refresh, when have they ever given us advance notice of a spec bump? What kind of information were you expecting? If anything, I'd say Apple has already leaked this somewhat. Back on February 6, references to next-generation models were discovered in MacOS 10.12.14 beta (https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/07/kaby-lake-macbook-pro-references-macos-10-12-4/). I doubt Apple would have had those references there if MBPs weren't being updated at least relatively soon.
totally. Gurman is always right. I am expecting a minor refresh only, and no 'fixes' to people issue with the computers.
Personally, the only real issue I have is that the screen animations are sluggish on the 13"TB [is fine when hooked up to a Thunderbolt Display though - super smooth, so is obviously some resolution issue], so hopefully Kaby Lake will improve on this with the better iGPU.
 

ascender

macrumors 68040
Dec 8, 2005
3,316
1,250
I'm expecting a spec bump update which usually means prices stay the same but available options might change. The new MBPs have been very successful so I can't see Apple changing much, why would they?

Bottom line is that you might get a faster machine if you hold off a few months, but most users probably won't notice the difference. If you need a machine today, buy it today and you can go refurb if you want to save some $.
 

willmtaylor

macrumors G4
Oct 31, 2009
10,301
8,172
Here(-ish)
How so?

I've not seen any compelling news stories that it will happen, only conjecture. While I'm not disagreeing with you that we may see something. I think people are convincing themselves this is a done deal and its not. There's been nothing (AFAIK) from apple to give us any indication that we'll definitely see a MBP refresh. Don't get me wrong, I hope we do see it, but I don't think its a case of it becoming more likely.
I'd consider this to be compelling:
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...an-laptop-upgrades-as-microsoft-enters-market

...not because of the evidence, but rather the source--given his track record, such as when he had the scoop on the new MBP in August (2.5 months before their public debut):
https://www.bloomberg.com/news/arti...-plan-first-pro-laptop-overhaul-in-four-years

Also, a new memory controller:
http://www.idownloadblog.com/2017/0...os-with-kaby-lake-chips-found-in-sierra-code/

I believe @Joe Rossignol wrote up that last story for MR.
Yup, found it:
https://www.macrumors.com/2017/02/07/kaby-lake-macbook-pro-references-macos-10-12-4/
 
Last edited:

marc55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 14, 2011
848
204
If you need a Mac now because your current model is too slow, dead or the money is burning a hole in your pocket, buy the 2016, return it before 14 day grace period then get the new model.
I can't believe folks are not only condoning, but are continuing to recommend to others, to abuse the 14 day grace period.

Folks, Apple offers that grace period to ensure satisfaction with its products, not to use as a fill-in until another model is released; that's simply abuse of a good thing.

There's been a lot of complaining about Apple prices, and guess what, abusing the 14 day grace period drives up costs, which we pay for every time we buy an Apple product.

Lastly, everyone should know what happens when you abuse something; it usually gets modified or goes away; I wouldn't doubt if Apple is considering a "7 Day Grace Period", and if that happens, thank yourselves!

Come on folks, let's have a little integrity, and abusing a good thing.
m
 

DanielDD

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2013
492
3,743
Portugal
If I was Apple I'm not sure I would do a new MBP. What's the point? What GPU would they go with? Improving Touchbar after only a few months on the market would be a horrible move. All this for Kaby Lake?

Apple needs to sell iOS 11 hard to get prepared for the 1k iPhone 8. They need new tablets and iMacs. Rolling a MBP into this doesn't make sense to me, but then again anything is possible.
They could also address battery life by replacing existing batteries with ones with terraced battery cells (as MacBooks)
 
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.