Delivery of Display Pro XDR

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Not sure if it makes a difference, But they are an Apple authorized dealer, and honored my quoted price from the Apple business team.
Did a quick check, none of the NYC local stores have either XDR or monolith. Feb 14 dates for both. Called some Tech Data dealers locally, that is the largest USA tech distribution company with an Apple account and none of those have either.

RyanFlynn

Contributor
Nov 24, 2006
Los Angeles
Did a quick check, none of the NYC local stores have either XDR or monolith. Feb 14 dates for both. Called some Tech Data dealers locally, that is the largest USA tech distribution company with an Apple account and none of those have either.
Ah yes, this is in Los Angeles

kittiyut

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2007
Ordered mine (nano coating) on 12 Dec with stand - EPP order to be shipped to Bangkok, Thailand

Stand shipped from Shanghai Jan 10th, delivered Jan 13th (original window 16-23 Jan)
Display shipped from same location Jan 15th, delivered Jan 17th (original window 23 Jan-3 Feb)

Glad it came in that order.

Now waiting for my Mac Pro to be delivered sometime in Feb....

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Ordered mine (nano coating) on 12 Dec with stand - EPP order to be shipped to Bangkok, Thailand

Stand shipped from Shanghai Jan 10th, delivered Jan 13th (original window 16-23 Jan)
Display shipped from same location Jan 15th, delivered Jan 17th (original window 23 Jan-3 Feb)

Glad it came in that order.

Now waiting for my Mac Pro to be delivered sometime in Feb....
Was the display made in China?

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2019
My first XDR was ordered within minutes of them being available on December 10th; the stand arrived on the 13th and the display ended up arriving on December 27; the original delivery window was listed as December 22-23. I ordered my second display on December 31st and got a delivery estimate of February 14-20 on both the display and the stand. This morning both were moved up: The stand is now February 5-12 and the display is February 12-19. Both of my displays will be the nano version.

My gut tells me that the display ended up being much more popular than they had anticipated, especially for those ordering it without a stand to VESA mount it. Hence the rapid shipment of stands that were pre-made for launch, but delays in screens and the fact that the delivery dates for displays rapidly stretched out within the first 24 hours of orders being placed. The contraction in delivery dates now is Apple scaling up the production to meet the demand, although no doubt cautiously so since there no doubt will be a drop off in order volume with the initial surge of orders out of the way.

Despite the naysayers the display appears to be in very high demand and pretty much everyone who has received one loves it.

Reactions: chfilm and paulchiu

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
My first XDR was ordered within minutes of them being available on December 10th; the stand arrived on the 13th and the display ended up arriving on December 27; the original delivery window was listed as December 22-23. I ordered my second display on December 31st and got a delivery estimate of February 14-20 on both the display and the stand. This morning both were moved up: The stand is now February 5-12 and the display is February 12-19. Both of my displays will be the nano version.

My gut tells me that the display ended up being much more popular than they had anticipated, especially for those ordering it without a stand to VESA mount it. Hence the rapid shipment of stands that were pre-made for launch, but delays in screens and the fact that the delivery dates for displays rapidly stretched out within the first 24 hours of orders being placed. The contraction in delivery dates now is Apple scaling up the production to meet the demand, although no doubt cautiously so since there no doubt will be a drop off in order volume with the initial surge of orders out of the way.

Despite the naysayers the display appears to be in very high demand and pretty much everyone who has received one loves it.
Not sure what geographical location you're in but my XDR regular will arrive next week with the monolith stand still Feb 4 - Feb 11. I am in the New York area. The delay really bugs me as all XDR and stands are scheduled to be at NYC area stores on Feb 14.

I agree with you on the popularity of the XDR. As a lifelong Apple investor, I like very much they sell a few million of them.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2019
Not sure what geographical location you're in but my XDR regular will arrive next week with the monolith stand still Feb 4 - Feb 11. I am in the New York area. The delay really bugs me as all XDR and stands are scheduled to be at NYC area stores on Feb 14.

I agree with you on the popularity of the XDR. As a lifelong Apple investor, I like very much they sell a few million of them.
I'm outside Philly, so near you. When did you order your regular one?

inflame93

macrumors member
Jun 3, 2014
my two stands arrived yesterday, followed an hour later by the two displays... they’re beautiful!

The displays left Friday and arrived Monday (Australia) shipping time from shanghai which was super quick, too

Reactions: paulchiu

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Everything here and set up!

Ordered standard XDR and monolith Dec 15
Estimate was Feb 4 - Feb 11
Received both Jan 21

(tip: do not try moving the screen attached with the stand to someplace else)

IMG_6372.JPG

IMG_6373.JPG

Reactions: apple2me

Keith Rondinelli

macrumors newbie
Nov 3, 2016
Finally got my standard XDR yesterday. Original delivery window was Feb 12-18, so it was a pleasant surprise. It’s a truly outstanding piece of technology. I’ve been doing daily graphic design, motion and editing work on a first generation Thunderbolt Display for 7-8 years and it’s like night and day. Crystal clear, amazing contrast.

Adult80HD

macrumors 6502
Nov 19, 2019
This week my delivery date on my second nano was bumped up again by two more days. Looks like they are catching up with the backlog.

macpro2000

macrumors 6502a
Apr 20, 2005
Thanks man!
- - Post merged: - -

You would think it would be sooner as that’s the date for a new order now.

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Finally got around watching some HDR content from Disney + and other paid download services.

[SPOILERS!!!!]
With Avengers Endgame and viewing at arm's length. The beginning portion with Iron Man stranded in the ship, the HDR really shines on the XDR. I could not see certain details on my older iMac 5K of various space craft tools and decorations. You can see the copper wiring on Iron Man's helmet near the eye-plate.
You are nearly blinded the moment before Captain Marvel appeared, but HDR10 allows the viewer to still see clearly the sun spot, the immediate lit areas plus the darker parts of the scene. In this way, the XDR is better IMO than the best OLED large screens out there from LG and Sony. I have the latest 77" LG OLED C9 and the Apple XDR beats it with the contrast and accuracy.

At 5 bars of brightness, it is comfortable. 6 is ideal for HDR movie viewing. The internal Mac Pro speakers is ok for dramas but something like Endgame requires at the minimum a nice 2.1 audio system.

Lastly, I find Apple's TV App plays HDR and HDR10 content better than VLC. IMO

Later

mason.smith1975

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2012
Finally got around watching some HDR content from Disney + and other paid download services.

[SPOILERS!!!!]
With Avengers Endgame and viewing at arm's length. The beginning portion with Iron Man stranded in the ship, the HDR really shines on the XDR. I could not see certain details on my older iMac 5K of various space craft tools and decorations. You can see the copper wiring on Iron Man's helmet near the eye-plate.
You are nearly blinded the moment before Captain Marvel appeared, but HDR10 allows the viewer to still see clearly the sun spot, the immediate lit areas plus the darker parts of the scene. In this way, the XDR is better IMO than the best OLED large screens out there from LG and Sony. I have the latest 77" LG OLED C9 and the Apple XDR beats it with the contrast and accuracy.

At 5 bars of brightness, it is comfortable. 6 is ideal for HDR movie viewing. The internal Mac Pro speakers is ok for dramas but something like Endgame requires at the minimum a nice 2.1 audio system.

Lastly, I find Apple's TV App plays HDR and HDR10 content better than VLC. IMO

Later
Did you notice any stuttering while playing? I have XDR nano connected to a maxed-out MBP 16 and videos from Disney+ and tv+ stutter like they only play 20fps. If I play directly on MBP display it works fine.

Reactions: nikster0029

paulchiu

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2009
nyc
Did you notice any stuttering while playing? I have XDR nano connected to a maxed-out MBP 16 and videos from Disney+ and tv+ stutter like they only play 20fps. If I play directly on MBP display it works fine.

When I play 4D HDR content using the Apple TV App on my Mac Pro, it's smooth with real HDR contrast.
I do not know how to play Disney + HDR content using a browser.

I will be getting another Apple 4K TV box to connect to the Pro Display XDR to see how good Disney + HDR content is.

Are you setting HDR Video (P3-ST 2084) preset on your MacBook Pro 16?
How many RAM and VRAM on your machine?

nikster0029

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2010
When I play 4D HDR content using the Apple TV App on my Mac Pro, it's smooth with real HDR contrast.
I do not know how to play Disney + HDR content using a browser.

I will be getting another Apple 4K TV box to connect to the Pro Display XDR to see how good Disney + HDR content is.

Are you setting HDR Video (P3-ST 2084) preset on your MacBook Pro 16?
How many RAM and VRAM on your machine?
how are you going to connect the two?