Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
I really can't find anyone that goes out and tells people how great their Dell computer is or tell people to go out and buy a Dell. People buy Dell because in most cases it's all they can afford. This isn't a bad thing either, but trying to compare a Dell to a Mac is laughable.

I also find it ironic that most people don't realize that Mac's can be "PC's" as well. I usually get a look of confusion... as in, "Huh? That's possible? Wait! What?" :D

Yimbie

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2010
YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

my parents recently purchased a 2010 cadilac cts4 worth over $50 000

a fully loaded hyundai is how much? like $20 000

Actually it depends what Hyundai you get. :) A fully loaded Genesis for example... will become $44,000 MSRP.

zak1217

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2010
I've had my XPS 1530 for a little over two years now, no problems at all (besides a cracked screen from a 200 pound guy sitting on it). Broke my charger once, Dell was great and replaced it very quickly. My friends with 15 inch MBPs all have dead batteries now. I absolutely love W7 and solely OSX wouldn't work for me because of some of the software I need for school.

I bought the M1530 for $1400 while the MBP with the same stats ended up being over $2000. This is including Applecare, because the Dell came with a free 4 year warranty. The price difference just wasn't worth it, even though I wasn't paying.

If the MBPs get a decent upgrade around Christmas, I'll pick one up (the 13 inch). I want something a little smaller and the build quality and thickness is fantastic. I just wanted to mention that my experience with Dell has been really good.

Macbooks are definitely overhyped and overall I'm not a huge fan of apple, but they are probably the best all around laptop out there. Which does piss me off.

Hisdem

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2010
South Florida
I bought my Mac because of OS X and battery life. A similar PC would have been cheaper? Yes. But, I prefer OS X and I didn't want one of those computers with those batteries that come out of the casing, plus they're plastic shell. When Dell makes a computer with an OS I prefer, with a sleek design, equal or even more power with the same battery life, I may buy a Dell. But I guess that day will never come.

Oh and, check the Desktop comparison. Last time I checked, iMacs had an i3 CPU, not C2D. Dell should update their site before saying they are better. And comparing a tower computer to an iMac isn't exactly wise. Plus, they only mention AV software on the software section. A Mac won't come with it. Why? Because Macs don't get viruses dear Dell.

Mike225

macrumors 6502a
Jul 15, 2010
SF BAY
I really can't find anyone that goes out and tells people how great their Dell computer is or tell people to go out and buy a Dell. People buy Dell because in most cases it's all they can afford. This isn't a bad thing either, but trying to compare a Dell to a Mac is laughable.

I also find it ironic that most people don't realize that Mac's can be "PC's" as well. I usually get a look of confusion... as in, "Huh? That's possible? Wait! What?" :D

i also find it ironic that most people don't realize that Mac's are "PC's" as well. I usually get a look of confusion... as in, "Huh? That's possible? Wait! What?" :D

Oh BTW the "can't afford it is played out.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
You people and your numbers you need to wake UP!!!

yes a mac is 1000-1500 more then a dell, dell builds a terrible computer, lets see dell build there own operating system that will change a generation of computer users, and build a 1 piece unibody labtop out of aluminum, and lets see how much this computer costs?

YOU GET WHAT YOU PAY FOR!!!!

my parents recently purchased a 2010 cadilac cts4 worth over $50 000

a fully loaded hyundai is how much? like $20 000

so would you rather have 2 brand new fully loaded hyundais or 1 cadilac?

i have driven the cadilac and i would pick it 10x over

all you people see is numbers, for people that actually use there computers for large quantitys of processing and want it to last a while, there computer regardless the brand will cost them a few grand.

What mp3 player do you use?

I remember my first cd player was a high end sony walkman, they were INSANELY expensive with there 30 second anti skip and a solid metal body.

Theres alot more to a product then a simple price tag.

i spent $1850 on my macbook in 2007 and yes that was every dollar in my bank account, i had never even used a mac before >_< but it is one of my best investments!!!

Dell builds terrible computers? My Latitude D620 from 2006 is used everyday... it runs great. I know folks with Dells from 2001, and they still run.

Marat

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Dell builds terrible computers? My Latitude D620 from 2006 is used everyday... it runs great. I know folks with Dells from 2001, and they still run.

I'm not impressed with my Dell. I bought this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Studio+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+-+Cappuccino/9718931.p?id=1218158732672&skuId=9718931 in January. It overheats and shuts down all the time. After about a month, it started shutting down at random about twice a day. Dell support is terrible. They have difficulty understanding my accent (English is my first and only language) and have never been helpful. I used to work for Dell and that was part of what led me to their products. I'll never buy another. I'm planning on buying a MBP here in a week or so.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
This iMac v. Inspiron comparison is blatantly misinforming:

- The iMac' Graphic card on the $1499 model is a ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB not ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB;
- iMac has a 802.11n WiFi card;
- iMac supports multi touch via magic mouse & magic trackpad;
- iMac is shipped with wireless keyboard and magic mouse, which the comparison conveniently calls "standard";
- iMac is shipped with iLife.

:D

It seems that Dell hasn't updated that page. Before the iMac refresh, that page would be accrurate, but the iMac now has an i3, not a C2D.

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom

As I mentioned earlier, Dell used to make a quality computer (I owned several of them.)
However, anything after around 2005 though is a different story. When you have people that work at Dell giving examples of how bad they are, you def have a problem.

ouimetnick

macrumors 68040
Aug 28, 2008
Beverly, Massachusetts
I'm not impressed with my Dell. I bought this one http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Dell+-+Studio+Laptop+with+Intel%26%23174%3B+Core%26%23153%3B+i5+Processor+-+Cappuccino/9718931.p?id=1218158732672&skuId=9718931 in January. It overheats and shuts down all the time. After about a month, it started shutting down at random about twice a day. Dell support is terrible. They have difficulty understanding my accent (English is my first and only language) and have never been helpful. I used to work for Dell and that was part of what led me to their products. I'll never buy another. I'm planning on buying a MBP here in a week or so.

Well I've used their computers that are for the consumer in store. They all seems to suck build quality wise. Cheap flimsy plastic, crappy trackpads, and keyboards. The display looks like it doesn't have support... Just an LCD panel with cheap plastic around it. You can bend the screen a great deal w/o cracking it. I do think that Dell still makes decent computers. I suggest the latitude line, and starting the the E64 series and higher. They are much more solid. Sadly, they have cheap comings now too, but as of now, they are great for the price.

The consumer desktop computers and monitors are the only GOOD Dell products for consumers these days.

SurferMan

macrumors 65816
May 14, 2010
South FL
Never been a fan of Dell but I've always had HP laptops and dekstops with no trouble, an 17" HP laptop I've had since 2006 finally died after 4 years, of very tough daily business use, took the hd out and have it in an external enclosure. I've had more issues and annoying things with Apple products than anything else from iphone to computer. I still love my mbp 13, but its like a love hate relationship.

annk

Administrator
Staff member
Apr 18, 2004
Somewhere over the rainbow
What is magsafe?

It's a magnetic attachment system for power cords. If you happen to trip over the cord, it just pulls away from the computer (and doesn't bring the computer tumbling to the floor). It's great. :)

800px-Apple_magsafe_tight.jpg

dubels

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2006
This type of attitude is what give Mac users a bad name.

What? The truth is giving Mac users bad names? If a company does not produce a product that meets your expectations at your price point then you do not have to make the purchase. No one is going to force Windows users to switch to OS X and pay the premium for Mac products. You can scream and complain all you want but companies are not just responsible for making one customer happy. That is like going into a BMW dealer and demanding to get a luxury car (1 series) for the price of a Honda Civic. Both are usable cars and will do what 90% of their buyers want from it but one is a premium car while the other is an economy car.

In 2001, when the first Apple Stores opened, Apple only had 5% market share, they just reached 10%. They have not changed much since 2001 yet plenty of companies have been quickly adopting their designs, business and marketing strategies. *Windows stores, HP envy line, etc.

I just like knowing that I can make an appointment and visit an Apple store to have a technician check out my laptop. I have utilized the Genius Bar so many times, and have items replaced outside of warranty. All computers will have problems down the line, do you want to try and sit on the phone with a help desk overseas or do you want to just walk in and have your issue possibly fixed on the spot.

BTW I have owned an Inspiron and it was just cheap. My dad's work just replaced some Lenovos with some Dells and after only 6 months the entire work group is going to switch back to Lenovos. The idea was that Dell was going to save them so much money, but in the end the IT support cost them more than it would to just stay with Lenovos. I have no problem with using a Windows Macine but if I am going to get one it is going to be a Lenovo, which are priced just the same as MBPs. Honestly, if I didn't get such a big discount on my MBP I would have just kept on using my 2006 MB as there are no problems with it and just bought the cheapest Lenovo when it eventually broke.

frunkis54

macrumors 65816
Apr 2, 2009
It's a magnetic attachment system for power cords. If you happen to trip over the cord, it just pulls away from the computer (and doesn't bring the computer tumbling to the floor). It's great. :)

800px-Apple_magsafe_tight.jpg

clumsy me actually tripped a few months ago and the connecter pulled out and my macbook stayed on desk it was really nice. any other computer would have been on the ground broken.

I really doubt that site is converting any Mac users over to PC's.

macbookairman

macrumors 6502a
Jan 15, 2008
Nebraska
This iMac v. Inspiron comparison is blatantly misinforming:

- The iMac' Graphic card on the $1499 model is a ATI Radeon HD 5670 with 512MB not ATI Radeon HD 4670 with 256MB;
- iMac has a 802.11n WiFi card;
- iMac supports multi touch via magic mouse & magic trackpad;
- iMac is shipped with wireless keyboard and magic mouse, which the comparison conveniently calls "standard";
- iMac is shipped with iLife.

:D

I find their comparison of iLife to Windows Live Essentials even more atrocious. They completely leave out iWeb, iDVD, and Garageband. The only thing they compare between iMovie and Windows Movie Maker is "Quickly create movies".

Irishman

macrumors 68040
Nov 2, 2006
For me personally, CAD and games.

Isn't AutoCAD now available for Mac as well?

As for games, depends on what kind of gamer you are. If you're a casual gamer (probably 75-80% of all gamers fall under this category), there's no advantage unless there's a title you can't get on Mac.

It's only for high-end gaming (competitive or tweakers or geeks like us) who care about frame rates and debates on which is the superior graphics API - OpenGL or DirectX), and none of the major pc makerrs could exist solely on revenues from us.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Funny how they don't list the extra things like Bluetooth, WiFi N, backlite kayboard, etc. That's where Macs and Windows computers come to equal prices.

Even adding in those things still a HUGE prices differecnce.
Backlite keyboard ($25) Bluetooth ($20) and I want to say wireless N is standard. If not it is like a $30 add on at max.... Ouch.

I built one a few weeks ago to see what the difference in price would be to the 13" Macbook pro. There wasn't a big one.

Also, the Dell price includes a discount. I am guessing that as it is a back to school offer, it is an education discount. If you add the 15% Apple Higher Education discount, Free iPod touch and printer, then I reckon the prices would be quite similar!

The discounts from dell are fair to leave in there. Reason for it is dell almost ALWAYS has discounts like that on the studio 15" i7 they have had a $300 discount on it for 4 months now. It has not changed.

stefan1975

macrumors 6502a
Apr 15, 2010
i think Dell and Apple are pretty much alike in many way. Both need to make profit to satisfy the shareholders. Both used to make pretty decent computers and both have been starting do deteriorate in doing so.

Appe isnt the computer manufacturor with the best service or even build quality anymore, i believe they are #3 now when it comes to failure rates, so telling apple is worth the premium because of build quality is just wishful thinking. i believe it is asus that has the lowest return rate of all brands now.

i think the design of a mac is worth a small premium but not $1000. MacOSX is awesome but not as far ahead anymore as 10.5 was over vista.

macs used to be expensive but with state of the art specs. now they have spec at least a generation old, and pc laptops are also getting closer with alu/magnesium bodies / all day batteries / 3 year warrantees / chicklet keyboards / led screens / core i processors / 1300+ resolution / decent win7_x64 / low prices / low heat. once they get the trackpad right they are on par with apple.

apart from the glowing wow apple, the superb trackpad and OSX apple had better watch out. but then i guess they dont care because it is a cash cow for them and they are merely interested in mobile iOS products now.

http://www.osnews.com/story/23652/Apple_Loved_You_Pro_Users_Loves_Your_Money_More_Now

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.