Dells are really so insanely cheap.

Status
Not open for further replies.

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Just got a link to Dell from a friend who is looking to upgrade her laptop, so I took a look at it:

http://dellstore01.sg.dell.com/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=144100&sr_no=2

Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz for under US$900, on and don't forget the US$350 "cash back discount" for online orders... which makes it US$550!

Just when I thought that pricing was a once off quirk, I did a search on Australian eBay here and found similar pricing for such specifications.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-Inspiron-6400-E1505-Core-2-Duo-2GHz-x-2-T7200_W0QQitemZ170032087298QQihZ007QQcategoryZ140080QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow, simply just wow.

Apple: you pay more than twice for last generation's CPU which runs at a slower clock speed. I don't even know how I am going to push Apple's offering in response to such pricing. Heck, in fact I feel like an idiot for having purchased a Mac Mini at that same price, sans... you know... the screen and other bits that should wrap around it to make it a laptop! To further up the ante, Apple can't even give you that same processor for four times the price Dell is asking!

See how disgraceful it is?
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
I'll take my PB any day.

I had a Dell lappy that I had to use for work last year and it felt like it would fall apart in my hands. Eventually, it did.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
iGary said:
I'll take my PB any day.

I had a Dell lappy that I had to use for work last year and it felt like it would fall apart in my hands. Eventually, it did.
When it does fall apart it is still a great way to get a C2D chip to upgrade your Mac Mini with...

The entire computer is barely more expensive that the CPU, the RAM, the hard drives, and even the LCD panels, you can just scrap those parts out and pawn them off on eBay for even a possible profit if you are lucky.
 

jhu

macrumors 6502a
Apr 4, 2004
854
0
i have to agree. mac os x isn't worth that much of a premium. so i bought an old blue and white g3 to run os x and have images rendering on my athlon 64.
 

razzmatazz

macrumors member
Apr 7, 2006
89
0
Texas
Lets not forget the Spyware, Virus, and all that programs you have to buy just to protect your PC! Also how about the 5 year old OS? Forget Dell and PCs!

A Mac is worth the price!
 

jamone80

macrumors regular
Sep 22, 2006
109
0
So Cal
dell computers are cheap cuz the parts they use are from various (usually chinese) vendors...they're pretty much the "whores" of the computer world..."they'll put anything inside them to earn a buck." :D :D
 

iPhil

macrumors 68040
jamone80 said:
dell computers are cheap cuz the parts they use are from various (usually chinese) vendors...they're pretty much the "whores" of the computer world..."they'll put anything inside them to earn a buck." :D :D


even the "TULSA" chip :eek: :eek:

if dells lasts that long.. hehe :rolleyes: :rolleyes:



nothing to see 'her'e move along ppl..

Man, ppl got such dirty minds


Gotcha!!! :p :p
 

iGary

Guest
May 26, 2004
19,583
0
Randy's House
jamone80 said:
dell computers are cheap cuz the parts they use are from various (usually chinese) vendors...they're pretty much the "whores" of the computer world..."they'll put anything inside them to earn a buck." :D :D
Most Apple's are built in China with a lot of Chinese parts. ;)
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
Macs are expensive. If you don't want the advanced OS, the problem-free integration of hardware and software, the peace of mind of knowing there are no viruses and you'll never have to do a virus scan, spyware scan, disk defrag, or disk cleanup, the beauty of the hardware, all the software you need to do basic stuff and support for that software, no problems connecting to the Internet (like my roommate's Dell Inspiron), not having to install drivers or download security updates every other week, then get a Dell with Windows XP.

With a Dell, you get what you pay for, and that's about it. With a Mac, you get what you pay for - and much, much more.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
Man, that Dell is really cheap.

I was trying to persuade my GF to get the Macbook instead, since her Fujitsu is slowly dying after almost 4 years, but quite honestly if the Macbook comes to her with RSS and mooing symptoms I'd be quite bummed for having made that recommendation.

For what it is worth her Fujitsu did work very well for the past few years... Macs.... with the QC problems I am not that sure of it myself.

pianoman said:
Macs are expensive. If you don't want the advanced OS, the problem-free integration of hardware and software, the peace of mind of knowing there are no viruses and you'll never have to do a virus scan, spyware scan, disk defrag, or disk cleanup, the beauty of the hardware, all the software you need to do basic stuff and support for that software, no problems connecting to the Internet (like my roommate's Dell Inspiron), not having to install drivers or download security updates every other week, then get a Dell with Windows XP.

With a Dell, you get what you pay for, and that's about it. With a Mac, you get what you pay for - and much, much more.
Actually if you look at all the overheating issues and all that, basically all I can say is you paid what you paid because you choose to pay what you paid.

MacOS is nice, but it is not that nice. With a bit of work I can make my XP computing experience just as clean and secure as MacOS, plus I have the option of running the world's software applications (yes I did mean to say the world's, not 3% of the world's), on high quality/cheap hardware as I so desire.

Apple may have the luxury of top-down integration and they get to design both the hardware and software to work together, but even then they are not doing as good a job as they should. Definitely not worth 100% of the price IMO. If Dell can produce that laptop for that price + profit, and Apple produces a more poorly speced laptop for twice the price, what does that say about their margins? Too rich IMO.

I am not a fanboy, while I do care about the experience, does Apple deserve that 100% pure gravy? Don't think so.
 

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
3,336
16
They are cheap for a very good reason.

Dell can't sell their computers for more because no one will pay for a laptop that wont last any longer than 12 months.
 

miniConvert

macrumors 68040
Coming from Dell, who I've had a corporate account with for years, to Apple has made me appreciate that all that glitters isn't always gold. Dell's prices may be bright, but their products are dull as dishwater.

Yes, there are some instanely cheap deals and yes, those deals are more than suitable for a massive section of the market (hence why Dell has the market share it does). But Apple has it's niche, a bloody big niche at that, which will continue to defy the likes of Dell for many, many years to come.

If I thought Apple's products wern't worth the money then I wouldn't buy them, but all things considered they simply are for some people.
 

zap2

macrumors 604
Mar 8, 2005
7,241
1
Washington D.C
jhu said:
i have to agree. mac os x isn't worth that much of a premium. so i bought an old blue and white g3 to run os x and have images rendering on my athlon 64.

It is to me...the amazing hardware looks of a Mac, best OS EVER..makes it worth it to me...

I'll never buy a Dell again..I had one with Windows ME on it...any company that shipped that OS, is on my not to buy from list. HP also crapped out on me many times, from a mix of OS problems and hardware problems. My last PC was a gateway..XP crash when I was typing up a report, said it was saved, so I printed it out, handed it in...got an 82...never again will I buy an Windows based computer(I should have reread my paper, but I was tired, and thought I could trust the OS, big mistake)
 

SMM

macrumors 65816
Sep 22, 2006
1,334
0
Tiger Mountain - WA State
Thread Subject is wrong!

generik said:
Just got a link to Dell from a friend who is looking to upgrade her laptop, so I took a look at it:

http://dellstore01.sg.dell.com/public/cart/configurator.jsp?prd_id=144100&sr_no=2

Core 2 Duo 2.0Ghz for under US$900, on and don't forget the US$350 "cash back discount" for online orders... which makes it US$550!

Just when I thought that pricing was a once off quirk, I did a search on Australian eBay here and found similar pricing for such specifications.

http://cgi.ebay.com/NEW-Dell-Inspiron-6400-E1505-Core-2-Duo-2GHz-x-2-T7200_W0QQitemZ170032087298QQihZ007QQcategoryZ140080QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Wow, simply just wow.

Apple: you pay more than twice for last generation's CPU which runs at a slower clock speed. I don't even know how I am going to push Apple's offering in response to such pricing. Heck, in fact I feel like an idiot for having purchased a Mac Mini at that same price, sans... you know... the screen and other bits that should wrap around it to make it a laptop! To further up the ante, Apple can't even give you that same processor for four times the price Dell is asking!

See how disgraceful it is?
You sir are full of it. I just did a major 6 month IT budget and priced out Dell, HP, IBM and Acer. Core 2 Dual Dells are about $1500 and up. An Inspiron 1300 with 1GB, 900 Intel Graphics, Centrino 735, Office BASIC came in at close to $900. An Inspiron 6400 with similar configuration was about $1000. These are entry-level Dells.

So, do not deceive the readers here. This is an actual quote (qty of five) received several days ago. I can also include more if this has not made the point.

DELL QUOTATION
QUOTE #: 318945585
Customer #: 5773825
Quote Date: 9/18/06
Date: 9/18/06 12:33:09 PM Customer Name: NUPRECON, INC

TOTAL QUOTE AMOUNT: $4,419.90
Product Subtotal: $4,299.90
Tax: $0.00
Shipping & Handling: $120.00
Shipping Method: Ground Total Number of System Groups: 1

GROUP: 1 QUANTITY: 5 SYSTEM PRICE: $859.98 GROUP TOTAL: $4,299.90

Base Unit:
Inspiron 1300, Intel Pentium M 735 (1.70GHz/2MB Cache/400MHz FSB) (222-2995)

Processor:
15.4 Inch WXGA Display, for Inspiron 1300 (320-4499)

Memory:
1GB,DDR2,533MHz,2 DIMM, for Inspiron 1300 (311-5484)

Video Card:
Integrated Intel Graphics Media Accelerator 900, for Inspiron 1300/B130 (320-4778)

Hard Drive:
60GB Ultra-ATA Hard Drive, forInspiron 1300 (341-2809)

Hard Drive:
PC Backup, 90-day Trial English, for Inspiron (420-5449)

Operating System:
Microsoft Windows XP Professional, Service Pack 2, English, for Inspiron (420-4770)

Operating System:
Image Restore (412-0689)

Operating System:
Dell Support (412-0911)

Operating System:
Windows Media Player 10 (420-4928)

Operating System:
Complimentary courses: Look for EU icon (420-5460)

Operating System:
Dell Direct Download (420-5477)

Operating System:
Dell Owners Manual installed on your system,click on icon after system set-up to access (463-2282)

Operating System:
Internet Search and Portal (420-5769)

Modem:
Internal 56K Modem, for Inspiron B1300 (313-3794)

TBU:
Adobe Acrobat Reader 7.0, for Inspiron (412-0917)

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive:
8X CD/DVD Burner (DVD+/-RW) with double-layer DVD+R write capability for Inspiron 1300 (313-3793)

CD-ROM or DVD-ROM Drive:
CyberLink PowerDVD v5.5 Decoding Software for DVD Drives (420-5111)

Processor Cable:
Intel PRO 2200 Internal Wireless (802.11b/g,54Mbps) for Inspiron 1300/B130 (430-1703)

Bundled Software:
Microsoft Office 2003 Basic Edition,Inspiron (412-0452)

Bundled Software:
Small Business Accounting Trial (412-0860)

Factory Installed Software:
Music Match 10.1 Basic with 7 days OnDemand (412-0813)

Software Disk Two:
Trend Micro PC-cillin InternetSecurity, English, 90-day Trial (420-5642)

Feature
29 WHr 4-cell Lithium Ion Primary Battery, for Inspiron 1300 (312-0358)

Service:
No Warranty, Year 2 and 3 (950-9057)

Service:
Thank you for choosing 1 Year Economy Plan (981-9299)

Service:
Dell Hardware Warranty PlusOnsite Service, Initial Year (983-7907)

Service:
Type 7 Contract - Mail-In Service, 24x7 Technical Support, Initial Year (960-4470)

Service:
Warranty Support,Initial Year (960-2780)

Dirline:
Gold Technical Support ServiceInspiron, 1 Years, 1-866-876-3355 (DELL) (960-0507)

Misc:
No Internet Service Provider Requested (412-0148)


Thank you for choosing Dell (465-5433)


No Quickbooks package selected (463-9752)


Purchase is NOT intended for resell (462-4506)


Backup media for XP Pro (310-6845)




COMMENTS

PROMO: GTS


SALES REP: samantha liu PHONE: 5127287351

Email Address: samantha_liu@dell.com
Phone Ext: 87351


For your convenience, your sales representative, quote number and customer number have been
included to provide you with faster service when you are ready to place your order. You may also
place your order online at www.dell.com/quote

This quote is subject to the terms of the agreement signed by you and Dell, or absent such agreement,
is subject to the applicable Dell terms and conditions agreement.

Prices and tax rates are valid in the U.S. only and are subject to change.

**Sales/use tax is a destination charge, i.e. based on the "ship to" address on your purchase order.
Please indicate your taxability status on your PO. If exempt, please fax exemption certificate to
Dell Tax Department at 512-283-9239, referencing your customer number.
If you have any questions regarding tax please call 800-433-9019 or email Tax_Department@dell.com. **

All product and pricing information is based on latest information available. Subject to change without
notice or obligation.

LCD panels in Dell products contain mercury, please dispose properly. Please contact Dell's Asset Recovery Services group for EPA compliant disposal options at US_Dell_ARS_Requests@dell.com. Minimum quantities may apply.
 

ChickenSwartz

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2006
903
0
I am a soon to be switcher. I want to buy a MBP. With the current state of affairs, I cannot bring myslef to spend $2000 on a laptop that is half the power of what I can get from Dell for $2000. I like OS X, I like, no, love the way the MBP looks, and I can't wait to own a Mac.

But come on Apple. I have the oppertunity to buy a Mac witout sales tax on or around Oct.15th. If nothing has changed by then, it is going to be a very tough decision.

If the MBP don't have C2D or the prices reduced, I probably won't buy.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
SMM said:
You sir are full of it. I just did a major 6 month IT budget and priced out Dell, HP, IBM and Acer. Core 2 Dual Dells are about $1500 and up. An Inspiron 1300 with 1GB, 900 Intel Graphics, Centrino 735, Office BASIC came in at close to $900. An Inspiron 6400 with similar configuration was about $1000. These are entry-level Dells.

--******** snipped--
Perhaps you are full of it yourself, and I will leave it to the readers to determine what "it" is.

Reread my posts, click on the links I included. I do not give a hot damned what your sales rep has been telling you, truth of the matter is I *can* get a C2D 2.0Ghz Dell for under SGD$1000, which is almost US$550. In contrast a Core (NO 2) Duo 2.0Ghz Macbook costs SGD$2100, and Apple only sells it to me at the price on account that I am an educational user! Wow, thanks Apple for your kindness!

I've laid out my facts, now perhaps you should recheck out yours rather than some 6 month old email quotations, thanks.

Edit: Notice you BTOed in options like 1GB of memory?
 

pianoman

macrumors 68000
May 31, 2006
1,962
0
iGary has the right idea. if you think it's such a great deal, generik, then buy a Dell. nobody one this forum is going to tell you to buy something you don't want to buy for a price you're not willing to pay.

people who have Macs understand the advantages and disadvantages of their purchase (such as price and OS stability/reliability) and have decided that they'd rather have what the Mac offers that the PC can't.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
iGary said:
OK, tell your "friend" to buy one. Or why don't you?
Well... the crappiest PC laptop I've ever used is a NEC, and even that is way more expensive than a Dell. The only good PC laptop I ever used are Thinkpads, and those costs slightly more than Apple, see the contradiction?
 

technicolor

macrumors 68000
Dec 21, 2005
1,651
0
><><><><
Go buy a Dell then. Nobody is asking you to buy Apple.:rolleyes:

I love how whiners on here act like somebody is holding them hostage to Apple.

GO GET YOUR DELL!
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
pianoman said:
iGary has the right idea. if you think it's such a great deal, generik, then buy a Dell. nobody one this forum is going to tell you to buy something you don't want to buy for a price you're not willing to pay.

people who have Macs understand the advantages and disadvantages of their purchase (such as price or OS stability/reliability) and have decided that they'd rather have what the Mac offers that the PC can't.
How is this not fanboism again?

"Boohoo, we figured that we can't win by real world metrics, so now we are using our own rules instead! Apple can't do this because of so-and-so reason (which strangely is declared by the fanboy, Apple never even used the same line of reasoning in any media release), there, Apple wins!"

I don't mind paying FOUR HUNDRED PERCENT more, how about I at least get a current processor please? Am I asking too much? Please tell me yes.
 

generik

macrumors 601
Original poster
Aug 5, 2005
4,116
1
Minitrue
technicolor said:
Go buy a Dell then. Nobody is asking you to buy Apple.:rolleyes:

I love how whiners on here act like somebody is holding them hostage to Apple.

GO GET YOUR DELL!
Is this your best response?

Wow, Apple users are no better losers than smug Linux nerds jerking off to a picture of Richard Stallman... :rolleyes:
 

Status
Not open for further replies.