Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
Ah, you're a spec junkie. Now I see the issue.

A lot of people over the computer are spec junkies. We're the same people that die a little inside when we see a 16 GB iPhone for sale when every other manufacturer is starting them out at 32 GB.

Apple does something called "market research" to determine what will and won't be a major feature point. sometimes this means they miss out on some features that a niche segment really want, but mostly it allows them to make a product that appeals to a large audience.

No excuse, there's a settings app on the phone. Turn the features on or off that you don't want, or don't use the particular feature, like wireless charging.

Look at removable batteries as one example. Some people really, really, really want a removable battery, and I'd wager if you asked a selection of random people whether having a removable battery was a good idea they'd say yes. What a manufacturer does though is look at how many people *actually* used that feature over the course of the life of a product that had it and then decided that it actually wasn't a feature that people really used, and so could make some design decisions based on that.

But that is not relevant when it comes to curved screens and AMOLED screens. Many people would appreciate waterproofing, yet Apple hasn't done that yet.

I have to just laugh out loud that you think the iPhone design team came to Cook with a curved, waterproof, AMOLED, wirelessly-charging iPhone and just said "nope!" Again, I have to wonder what it is you think a CEO does?

I also have to laugh out loud when Cook couldn't pull his head out of his butt and realize the LCD screen is inferior and the design is ugly. Why would you approve such a design?

ValO

macrumors 68000
Sep 16, 2012
You listed a bunch of Steve Jobs' ideas.

What has Tim done with the iPad other than make it bigger, smaller, slap a finger print reader on it, slap a new chip in it every year, and slap a retina display on it? Four years, and that's all he's done with the iPad.

iPhone 6 plus-- the phone where sales started declining. It's also ugly on the back and didn't change much from any iPhone before it. He added 3D touch, which is a gimmick.

Apple Watch? I haven't seen one person wear one. It'll never take off--watches are out of style.

iCloud that finally works? Haha, Funny!

Apple TV that finally works? I'm the only one I know who owns an Apple TV--plus the price has doubled since Tim Cook took over, all this because there's a new processor in it, apps, and a dictation feature.

Siri that finally works? He has nothing to do with Siri, it wasn't even his idea. Siri is still worse than Cortana or Google's voice recognition system.

Car Play? That's not even fully implemented yet, but I'm sure most manufacturers won't care for it.

iOS/OSX integration? That's part of iCloud.

Tim has yet to push a popular, mainstream product on his own.

I think he did a fine job.
He has improved revenue from hw and services since he has been in charge.
Other tech companies are suffering and did not manage to get constant growth in revenues , since the time of SJ.

Cook just handles things differently.
He believes in evolution instead of revolution. But he laid the base for tvOS and watchOS recently and the apps and the hw need to evolve now. They are not home runs from day one. But in a few years, they will be..
The same goes for stimulating the development of business apps for ios( IBM partnership)
There is just one thing that he did not do, what he should have done. And that is: break the barrier between iPads en MacBooks. He should have released an arm based MacOS and a iPad/MacBook hybrid or something like that...
When a keyboard/trackpad is connected to the iPad, it runs MacOS, when it is not, it runs iOS .
But perhaps that is coming....

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
He has improved revenue from hw and services since he has been in charge.

Of course you're going to make more money when you pinch pennies more than any other CEO in the country. He added Apple Music... Which of course will make Apple money, but the quality of the service isn't that great.

Where is the innovation? That is why the stock is falling.
[doublepost=1456431076][/doublepost]
The article states that Tim Cook "expects" a sales decline. So this is still not a "fact".

Please stop typing.

No, no, dude. You said I didn't know the difference between slowing sales growth and sales decline. The article says sales decline. I simply said announced, which is what Tim Cook did.

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
Yes, that is exactly why cashiers are shocked when you use your phone for payment, because it's oh so popular. Here in the United States, Australia, and Canada is super popular too. :rolleyes:

Just what it says.. Most car companies haven't started putting them in their cars yet.

I'm talking about the $199 version...

I'm not sure what your point is on Apple Pay? That because some cashiers in the USA haven't seen NFC payment systems because your credit card terminals were originally used on The Ark it means that Apple Pay is "hardly used anywhere". I'm assuming you don't travel much. In a country with an established NFC payment network like the UK you can use it almost everywhere you can pay by card. Your point seems to be that the US is behind in payment technology and therefore ApplePay is somehow a black mark against Cook.

I too can blame a CEO for a non sequitur. I blame Cook for the fact that because the UK doesn't have an LTE infrastructure, that means that the LTE features of the iPhone are "hardly used anywhere". Damn you Tim Cook!

On CarPlay... your choice of criterion here is absurd. At what point is CarPlay "fully implemented"? When literally every car has CarPlay? Apple has a product. It's not a failure if some car makers aren't using it or making it available.

And on the Apple TV, if you're talking about the more expensive Apple TV then that's just being deliberately disingenuous to try and make up a "fact" that you can argue. Your argument was that the new Apple TV was "twice as expensive" as the one Steve Jobs introduced as a slam against Cook, while deliberately misleading the reader by using the most expensive possible model and leaving out that you can buy a cheaper one today (you know, actually offering the consumer a choice! How novel!).

It's clear that you're out of your depth here and we're barely paddling. Would you like some water wings?
[doublepost=1456431258][/doublepost]
Of course you're going to make more money when you pinch pennies more than any other CEO in the country. He added Apple Music... Which of course will make Apple money, but the quality of the service isn't that great.

Where is the innovation? That is why the stock is falling.
[doublepost=1456431076][/doublepost]

No, no, dude. You said I didn't know the difference between slowing sales growth and sales decline. The article says sales decline. I simply said announced, which is what Tim Cook did.

You said (direct quote): "Didn't Apple just announce the first declination of iPhone sales ever?? (Fact)."

So you are wrong. The other poster is correct. The announcement was that sales were expected to decline in the subsequent quarter, not that they already have.

You were wrong, incorrect, inaccurate.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Where is the innovation? That is why the stock is falling

Ah and for your final masterpiece you're now showing no understanding of Apple stock performance. Apple stock is falling because investors are concerned that the company is too iPhone-reliant. The slowing growth and potential fall in iPhone sales, coupled with the economic downturn in China, one of the biggest iPhone customers, is making some investors jittery when it comes to AAPL.

It's getting boring debunking all of your "insights".

joe-h2o

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2012
A lot of people over the computer are spec junkies. We're the same people that die a little inside when we see a 16 GB iPhone for sale when every other manufacturer is starting them out at 32 GB.

No excuse, there's a settings app on the phone. Turn the features on or off that you don't want, or don't use the particular feature, like wireless charging.

But that is not relevant when it comes to curved screens and AMOLED screens. Many people would appreciate waterproofing, yet Apple hasn't done that yet.

I also have to laugh out loud when Cook couldn't pull his head out of his butt and realize the LCD screen is inferior and the design is ugly. Why would you approve such a design?

Man, you just don't understand market research, engineering design or product development at all do you?

What makes you say that LCD screens are inferior to AMOLED? Because you read it somewhere on a forum crying about the design of the iPhone? At the current technology level, LED panels are an established, well-understood and mature technology. AMOLED, by contrast, is comparatively new and undergoing the sort of development that traditional LED panels were going through some years ago. There are pros and cons to both systems but in larger format displays (such as smartphones and above) the balance between which type of display will be objectively "better" is not clear cut - on the one hand, you have colour accuracy, luminosity, pixel density and layout and on the other hand you have mechanical concerns - material cost, power consumption, assembly thickness and complexity. Right now there is no way you can say "LED is better than AMOLED" or "AMOLED is better than LED" because the variables make you say "it entirely depends on your product".

I can almost guarantee that there are iPhone prototypes in Cupertino right now (as in, prototypes of the 6 and 6+) that used AMOLED panels. I can also make a solid guess that there are waterproof ones, and ones with wireless charging systems, and ones with bigger front cameras, and ones with stereo speakers, and ones with Apple Pencil support, and ones with....

The product that makes it to market is the end of a long chain of design branching and iteration, but you seem to think that Cook sits in his CEO office and says "Jony, make me an iPhone. It must not have anAMOLED screen or wireless charging and for god's sake don't make it waterproof!"

Reactions: journeyy

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
I'm not sure what your point is on Apple Pay? That because some cashiers in the USA haven't seen NFC payment systems because your credit card terminals were originally used on The Ark it means that Apple Pay is "hardly used anywhere". I'm assuming you don't travel much. In a country with an established NFC payment network like the UK you can use it almost everywhere you can pay by card. Your point seems to be that the US is behind in payment technology and therefore ApplePay is somehow a black mark against Cook.

And also the lack of bank support in Australia and Canada. Apple Pay isn't used everywhere in those countries. Apple Pay isn't as popular as you think, and I've seen many people from the UK post on here about how the Apple Watch and Apple Pay shock the cashiers.

What makes you say that LCD screens are inferior to AMOLED?

More like more vibrant colors, blacks save battery life, screens are brighter during the day, and less eye-straining during the night. Plus, Apple is said to be looking to this technology in 2018.

The product that makes it to market is the end of a long chain of design branching and iteration, but you seem to think that Cook sits in his CEO office and says "Jony, make me an iPhone. It must not have anAMOLED screen or wireless charging and for god's sake don't make it waterproof!"

No, but he can certainly instruct that he wants "this feature and that feature" included in the iPhone.
[doublepost=1456432335][/doublepost]
Ah and for your final masterpiece you're now showing no understanding of Apple stock performance. Apple stock is falling because investors are concerned that the company is too iPhone-reliant. The slowing growth and potential fall in iPhone sales, coupled with the economic downturn in China, one of the biggest iPhone customers, is making some investors jittery when it comes to AAPL.

It's getting boring debunking all of your "insights".

Yes, and that's why the stock falls after every keynote now. :rolleyes:

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
I'm just speculating. If the "5se" has an A9 SoC, we end up with:

"5se" - A9
6 - A8
6s - A9
7 - A10

So we get a bigger phone, the 6, with lesser internals than the "5se" which causes an issue price wise - historically Apple usually go up in price with screen size - MacBooks, iPads and Apple Watches and iPhones. That's why my guess going into the holiday season:

$450 - 5se
$550 - 6s
$650 - 7

On the other hand they want to make money, and if that means having 4 models then your way may be it. Hell, we still don't even know if this 4" iPhone is real yet.

It would be great if the iPhone 8 was released in 3 sizes with feature parity (where sensible).

If the original "5se" A8/1GB rumor was accurate, then it makes sense with the "5se" at the bottom, priced below the 6 @ $450, when the 7 comes out. But as I said, that assumes there's a "6c" with the A9/2GB, which then moves down to the bottom next March, before the 7S, and the 6S drops to the $450 spot, and a new "7c" is introduced.

I could also see the 4" phone priced the same as the 4.7" phone, basically making the choice size over features, assuming there is otherwise parity between the models.

Look at the photos, The power button is on the side.

Note the rendering and the diagram look very different. The render looks much more like the 5s. The diagram, much more like the 6. Assuming either is legit, there's more evidence that we're looking at two different models -- the so-called "5se" and the "6c". The "5se" could very well retain the power button on top, and the "6c" could very easily move the power button. On the other hand, the render or the diagram could easily be a prototype.

It would be a mistake to move the power button on the 4" phone in my opinion.
[doublepost=1456433336][/doublepost]
Do you think it'll have Touch ID?

Yes. Pay is at a place now that Apple doesn't want to sell any new devices without Touch ID & Pay, including internationally. Unless there are two phones, it won't likely have 3D Touch however. But if there are two phones, the a "5se" with A8/1GB, and a "6c" with A9/2GB and 3D Touch, both with Touch ID.

almirramic

macrumors member
Oct 9, 2011
Am I the only one that thinks Apple's naming conventions are all over the place? 5se is backward. iPad Air 3 called iPad Pro. Remember when they called the new iPad just iPad. then adding Air. Now Air 3 called Pro. How are they going to distinguish large Pro and small Pro? Discontinue large screen? Then MacBook Air discontinued for thinner power-starved MacBook -- a victim of pure obsession with thinness. I don't like any of this.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
This has been happening for years, even when the stock was rising through the roof. Just stop, please

So according to your "logic", the stock has fallen after every keynote for years, even though the stock was rising through the roof. Gee, I wonder why... Disappointing products.

igorsky

Suspended
Mar 9, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
So according to your "logic", the stock has fallen after every keynote for years, even though the stock was rising through the roof. Gee, I wonder why... Disappointing products.

This could be happening for many reasons; you seem to be jumping to your own conclusions.

I beg of you, please, don't reply anymore. You win. New York State is awesome.

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
Are you in the US? Have you been to a carrier store lately?

Old price tags:
$199
$99
$0

New price tags:
$27/month
$31/month
$35/month

Same idea... different implementation. You were always paying for the phone yourself even with "subsidies"

You didn't have to pay "laptop prices" then... and you don't have to pay "laptop prices" now.

Apple doesn't have to lower prices because US carriers are using a different payment plan.

I only mentioned it because other Apple products have lowered their prices over time... while the iPhone hasn't. It was really just an observation... not a suggestion.

Maybe in other countries someone cannot afford paying full-price for a $650 flagship iPhone.

Well... they can't afford paying full-price for a flagship Galaxy S7 Edge either.

Yeah, but now any illusion that you paid less is gone. Believe it or not, I've come across many (and I mean many) people who thought they were saving a few hundred dollars by signing up for a 2 year "subsidized" plan. Now they add up xx per month for 18 or 24 months and don't like the amount that adds up to. One guy said to me recently, there's no way I'm paying that for a new iPhone ($750). He's pissed off that he can't get his iPhones for only $300. :rolleyes:

uid15

Suspended
Mar 9, 2015
Love the deliberate vagueness of "design drawings", failing to mention that they are not Apple's design drawings.

Details, details... pffft.

Reactions: Ladybug

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
Yeah, but now any illusion that you paid less is gone. Believe it or not, I've come across many (and I mean many) people who thought they were saving a few hundred dollars by signing up for a 2 year "subsidized" plan. Now they add up xx per month for 18 or 24 months and don't like the amount that adds up to. One guy said to me recently, there's no way I'm paying that for a new iPhone ($750). He's pissed off that he can't get his iPhones for only $300. :rolleyes:

I've seen this exact phenomenon myself. Eventually people will realize it's the same for Android phones as well, and a flagship Droid costs just as much or more than an iPhone. However, there are some really cheap Droids out there with some pretty impressive specs compared to Apple, so that's going to work against Apple. And that's one reason why I argue for two 4" phones, one on the budget end ("5se") that they can offer for $350-400 with Pay, and then a higher-end version ("6c") which they can offer those who can afford more somewhere in the upper-middle. Then next year, they'll be able to sell that budget phone for even less in emerging markets like India (just as they have been doing with the 4s & 5c), while then offering the upper-middle tier phone for the budget rate, and keep the upgrade cycle competitive, even for the very low end.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009
Im selling my iPhone 6 for this little beauty :) Bring on next month

Same here. I would have just been upgrading to the iPhone 7. Love the 4-inch size, but it didn't stop me from upgrading. However now that a nearly flagship 4-inch iPhone will be an option, I'll gladly go back.

Reactions: waquzy

Ladybug

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
Any clue how long after release before iFixit will do a tear down? Thanks

Ankaa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2008
I'm thinking....just some crazy thought....but haven't we usually seen actual leaks by the time this close to an event in the past? Maybe, just maybe... the iPhone 5SE/6C/whatever.... will look different from all those drawings/renderings? Maybe Apple will be able to surprise us after all?

Might be my wishful thinking taking over :rolleyes:

ghanwani

macrumors 601
Dec 8, 2008
I may be in minority but I would buy such a phone if:
- it weighs less than the 6s
- doesn't have a protruding camera
- allows wifi calling on AT&T

I don't care about any of the other features.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.