Details on Jony Ive's 'Very, Very Flat' Design for iOS 7

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2013.

1. SockRolid macrumors 68000

SockRolid

Death to skeuomorphism.
    As long as "the new flat" still has enough subtlety and detail to be interesting.
    (In other words, not as flat and dull as Metro. Oops. I mean the "Windows 8 style UI".)

2. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Unfortunately it doesn't seem like iOS 7 will changing it that department. Still no customization and widgets. I know plenty iPhone boys and girls don't care, but once you step out of Apple's garden, there's a whole gamut of possibilities. I was hoping to switch to iOS thinking that it would get more than a visual over haul, looks I'm staying with the lil robot.

Metro doesn't look bad at all, just shouldn't that important to basic functions of Windows 8.

3. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Yeah, they showed the Windows Phone UI. I assume it will look something like that :D

Stylish, eh?

4. Skika macrumors 68030

Enjoy your clocks.

5. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

A whole gamut of possibilities lends itself to massive fragmentation.

6. bchery21 macrumors 6502

bchery21

Yea, I'm really digging this weather app

7. fertilized-egg macrumors 68020

Personally I really miss the tapedeck in the Podcast app. That didn't mess with the functionality much and to me added just enough spice to the app.

My guess is widgets is pretty low in Apple's list. Even HTC, an Android maker, flat out said most users just do not use widgets much.

The more important point with the new iOS is streamlining the workflow and tackle the problems with iCloud and handling interapp communication along with files.

8. ineedamac macrumors 6502

I'm just excited to see the new iOS 7. When we get these yearly updates it feels like a whole new iPhone...

9. CGagnon macrumors regular

CGagnon

Is it April 1st? Please say this is a joke....

10. Squilly macrumors 68020

Squilly

Sure, I'll contact them in your name.
    "The Shrink is mad. Stop all progress... Or else."

11. SanJacinto macrumors regular

SanJacinto

I hope Jony spends some time on OS X.
    I don't want to wait until OS X 10.10.

12. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

More swipe in panels? Oy vey, the notification center caused enough compatibility issues.

13. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

14. Patriot24 macrumors 68030

Patriot24

Or conversely, one of the biggest letdowns since iOS was first released.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a beautiful new design, but we probably need to reel in our expectations a bit. My guess is that there will be significant changes, but it will be more iterative over the course of 2 or 3 major releases.

15. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I was kinda disappointed to read this, will be interesting to see. If the new OS is just a flatter re-skinned version of iOS with no new features, apple really is moving slow. I mean, iOS is simple, so simple that everyone understands it. It has hardly changed for 2 years now, I think even my parents will handle some additional features and changes. I know its no point making changes for the sake of changes, but iOS is sort of well, what to say, theres nothing more to explore and get used to for an even more efficient and delightful usage. They could at least add some more advanced features I think. Oh well, we shall see.

16. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

Flat design?! Well, if it will even resemble Windows 8 design, which many people admire, I will be sticking with iOS 6 for as long as I can...
    I guess we will just have to wait and see... But, personally, I don't know why an iOS Notepad shouldn't resemble a real notepad... Why should it be some flat, bland app... Just one man's opinion...

17. lucamacis macrumors member

Good sign from this rumour

I do like the direction of this rumour. Most people have been hoping for a slightly more radical change from Apple (and radical in this case means subtle but more substantial than adding new apps). I must admit I am looking forward to this new release quite a lot. Every year they release the perfect amount but I must say I am most looking forward to what "at a glance" features they release. Notification centre is brilliant and perfectly executed imo.

18. Nightarchaon macrumors 65816

Nightarchaon

Mr Ive seems to have device, and now OS anorexia, someone get him help please. :eek:

19. domness macrumors 6502a

domness

20. s!ke macrumors member

Exactly my thoughts. I'm scared it's gonna look like ****.

21. MKelleher macrumors newbie

Next thing you know, Johny Ive will go back to the old beige boxes that macs used to be. Clean and functional.

22. rshroff2 macrumors 6502

I hope they stop using the same colors for their stock apps... why do the dialer and SMS app both have to be green? I hope the icons are similar in style to the new google now app, super flat, no gloss, and a nice shade of blue. I hope he brings some of the flat ui to OSX too.

Edit: I really like the flat look of the rdio ios app and hope the design of the stock music player is "inspired" by it.

23. myrtlebee macrumors 68000

myrtlebee

In the minority... I actually do not like flat. At all. Oh well. I guess I could always keep my iPad on iOS 6.

24. TwoBytes macrumors 68020

TwoBytes

Am I the only one who prefers the old design?

25. Rogifan macrumors P6

Rogifan

Perhaps a UI visual overhaul is all they has time to complete? Ive and Federighi only took over iOS responsibilities last October. That's not a lot of time for a full redesign (assuming widgets weren't already in the cards under Forstall). Also I'm sure Apple is aware how well (not) Windows 8 is going over with consumers so they're not going to do a radical redesign in one shot that could piss a lot of people off (while pleasing a smaller number of tech geeks).