Details on Jony Ive's 'Very, Very Flat' Design for iOS 7

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 29, 2013.

1. calisurfboy macrumors regular

calisurfboy

Re-read what I wrote. I never made the claim there were no manuals. I said there is no instructions "included." There should be a quick set up manual, tutorial, or quick set up either included printed, pre-installed on the phone, or available separately for those that are not too familiar with technology. This would of aided several individuals, especially those not familiar with technology, on how things work. Many apps, for example snapseed, include instruction screens for new customers.

Telling people, who are not techno-savy, to go to a web address is a lazy response. Things should be simpler than that.

2. blucurv macrumors regular

It's a vague term that means a modern interpretation of Swiss Design, the child of bauhaus design.

Unfortunately, if 'flat' design is not executed correctly (win8), then it can be counterintuitive as an User Interface element.

The good thing is that Apple wont release something that they're excited about. That level of polish is what sets them apart from the competition.

3. shoes222, Apr 29, 2013
    Last edited: Apr 29, 2013

shoes222 macrumors member

This is really not that flat.

The buttons have gloss, the bottom bar has some kind of reflective lighting effect/or has some kind of color gradient.

4. PDXoPDX macrumors member

Yes please. It sounds like I'll finally want to ditch my jailbreak and UI mods to go back to stock iOS when v.7 drops. Thanks Johnny :apple:

5. fullauto macrumors 6502a

fullauto

lol thank you.. was thinking the same thing..

6. BC2009 macrumors 68000

BC2009

My number one peeve with iOS 6 UI is that the banner changes color in certain Apple apps. It makes no sense. Previously a change in the banner color was only used to notify you of when something was going on that you needed to be aware of (e.g.: WiFi Hotspot or Screen Sharing or "In a Call").

iOS 6 added "Navigation" banner change which made sense so you could quickly return to Navigation by tapping it.

But what was up with the alternate banner color in the Mail or Settings apps?

I actually hope iOS 7 adds a "Photo Stream" mode (with appropriate banner color change to notify you) so that you can set the camera to send every photo you snap to one or more photo streams. The banner would be there to let you know that you were sharing everything you took a picture of.

But I really want the other Apple apps to leave my banner alone unless they have something to tell me through the color change.

7. myrtlebee macrumors 68020

myrtlebee

Not at all. I actually had to sit and decipher which one people were lauding as better (since I don't use podcasts). The old is much better! I actually think it is a nice balance between flat and not. I can see what people are saying about the Calendar app, but I don't think going to the opposite extreme for the entire OS is the answer.

8. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Thanks!

9. APlotdevice macrumors 68040

APlotdevice

Actually New Coke continued to be sold in certain regional markets under the name "Coke II" all the way up until 2002.

10. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Interesting. We've been able to do this kind of UI change for years with a jailbreak.

11. rshroff2 macrumors 6502

http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/iphone_5_finger_tips_guide.pdf
    That is included in EVERY iPhone box.

Attached Files:

12. jps1012 macrumors 6502a

jps1012

Is google now for ios an example of a flat design?

13. jumpinjohn macrumors member

Hmmm... My 82 year old mother got an iPhone last year. She has had a few questions mostly regarding iCloud. She didn't have any problems using the phone, buying apps, even Text Messaging! In fact, I could give anecdotal story after story about how easy the iPhone is to figure out. (People have apparently forgotten that phones used to be exceedingly difficult to use for simple things.)

And regarding manuals - does anything come with an extensive paperbound manual anymore? ( I know some things do, but not generally )

14. Shrink macrumors G3

Shrink

See Post# 93.

I have it completely covered. Don't worry, they wouldn't dare change anything now!

Of course, I have no idea what the new "flat" UI will look like...but I don't like it!:mad:

15. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

When Samsung can actually say that they can design. ;)

BL.

16. pubwvj macrumors 68000

pubwvj

I would much prefer a focus on adding new deep functionality that brought back the vast software and media libraries that used to be useable prior to Apple making so much obsolete by abandoning Classic, PPC, 68K, etc. There is a tremendous amount of great software that has never been recreated for Intel OSX. With such powerful hardware Apple should be emulating or transcompiling so we can continue to use our existing tools. That would get me and many others to upgrade machines that stay stuck in the past. That would get more hardware and OS sales for Apple.

While they're at it iOS and OSX should become interchangeable where the hardware is powerful enough (most cases).

17. mrhick01 macrumors 6502

But wait a minute -- there is a significant cohort here that says the existing iOS is tired and boring.

Do you believe that iOS 6 is tired and boring?

18. TallGuy1970 macrumors 6502

Cool "Apple is doomed" story bro...

19. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

I will wait to judge until it comes out.

One thing is for certain though. If all we are getting is massive aesthetic changes, it's hard to argue that people aren't listening to consumers, even if we are the vocal minority, as some here like to claim.

20. borostef macrumors 6502

borostef

Exactly what I'm afraid of... I find those designs boring and cold... But that's just me... You can't win them all...:apple:

21. darkpaw macrumors 6502

darkpaw

Oh, please, no! That style is horrible. Half the time you don't know if something is an image or a button you can tap to perform some action.

There is a reason we've had bevelled/embossed styling for buttons for decades; it's because it makes them stand out *as* buttons.

22. lordofthereef macrumors G5

lordofthereef

Love it! :p

23. kristoffer4 macrumors 6502a

kristoffer4

24. DesertEagle macrumors 6502a

DesertEagle

Was New Coke the one with vanilla flavor?

25. iisdan macrumors regular

DO NOT LIKE!!!!

Maybe remove leather textures... But don't remove the design. Windows 8 looks like it was made by a 3 year old in ms paint.