Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Probably just so Apple can "demo" his app at their media event.

Doesn't mean iPhone OS 4.0's release is imminent, and I wouldn't have thought it would be any significance to the iSlate either (even if it is rumoured to run the iPhone OS kernel..).
This
Good News. The confirms that the tablet will be running iPhone OS. I am hopeful for

128GB of storage.
Bluetooth Keyboard Support
Bluetooth Mouse Suppor
t
iWork version for the Tablet
SDHC Support
802.11n Support
3G Option with the option not to get it at all.
Camera on the front for Web and on the back to take photos
Price sub $900
I agree with everything you wrote except for the keyboard and mouse. How does it make any sense to have those two peripherals for a hand held device? Where would you put the tablet while using those things, and how would you see the screen?

RangerXML

macrumors regular
Jul 4, 2009
Anything is better then the hell that has been 3.1.2, I am welcoming 4.0 with open arms no matter what the out come and hope the jailbreaking community finds the time to make 4.0 their b!tch ASAP! I need tethering, but I also need a reliable phone.

TraceyS/FL

macrumors 601
Jan 11, 2007
North Central Florida
A fairly likely time frame for this year is:

27 Jan. Release general tablet plans and OS upgrade plans. Release SDK and developer hardware for tablets. PowerMac ships

March 2010. Release TOS4 and V1.0 large 10" tablet. MacBookPro ships

April 2010. Release iPhone 4th year more than a month early since engineering is fully evolved on it. TOS4.0.1

Evolved Airport base station with internal AppleTV and CD, HD ships. ISP's offer discounts on new bundled installs, possibly with internal modem cards. "All-in-one finally arrives to broadband." LTE for backup service during interruptions. Dual channel 802.11n allows 3D content streaming/forwarding. Mesh repeater 2 packs.

June 2010. WWDC. OS4.1 and release smaller 7" Tablet which will be positioned as a "Purse format", "remote control", PC remote access, educational target, device. It will remain constrained supply well close to Christmas.

September 2010. Hardware rev to 2.0 10" tablet.

Rocketman

plausible. Except, they don't make a PowerMac anymore :p

I won't be excited if the 7" comes out that late without them saying it is coming though.... that is what i'm hoping to get.

Peace

Cancelled
Apr 1, 2005
Space The Only Frontier
if this app made it through the review process and got published, it would mean that the differences between the 3.0 and 4.0 software couldn't be that dramatic :(

Anything is better then the hell that has been 3.1.2, I am welcoming 4.0 with open arms no matter what the out come and hope the jailbreaking community finds the time to make 4.0 their b!tch ASAP! I need tethering, but I also need a reliable phone.

Tethering has nothing to do with iPhone OS 4.0. It has everything to do with AT&T's bandwidth.

I've run Netshare a few times with no problems and it was in the app store for a while until AT&T asked that it be removed.

econgeek

macrumors 6502
Oct 8, 2009
You know, when I saw this story, I immediately thought "boy they sure took their time updating their app to 3.0.".

The 3 and 4 keys are right next to each other on the keyboard. Half the PR flunkies in silicon valley are in their 20s. Trivially easy for one of them to hit the wrong key and fail to proofread their announcement.

Now of course, if they don't mention 4.0 at the January event (is there even confirmation of a january event?) people will start rumors saying that it was delayed for some reason.... whien it is much more likely that Apple has been following the same pattern they have been since the original 2.0 announcement- A mid spring overview of some new features with WWDC release of the new OS.

martint84

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2009
Lies, Apple only releases one thing per event! They always have! lol

The iPhone shared a stage with Apple TV at Macworld '07.

I definitely think we're going to see more than just one product released at this event. There were so many new i3/i5/i7 laptops released at CES and the timing is just right for Apple to update the MacBook Pro line (even if it's just a quick announcement at the end). I think the real question is that are we going to see 4.0 introduced with the tablet, or are they going to be two separate announcements? Will the 4th gen iPhone be mentioned at all at this event? It's been a long time since an iPhone update of any kind has been released and nothing since the Droid, Nexus, and a bunch of other android phones have come out. Not to even mention all of the rumors of the subscription tv and books/mags/newspaper deals that would clearly tie into the tablet/slate announcement.

One a side note, does anyone here think that Apple will start updating the iPhone hardware more often than just once a year, considering how often the "competition" comes out with new devices? Personally, I like the idea of only one or two options, ensuring that almost all of the apps available can still work on my 2 year old phone. Do you think we will we hear anything about the at&t contract expiration?

Anyway, Apple wasn't at CES and now they aren't going to be at MacWorld. I think this event is going to be huge. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this "keynote" is one of the biggest ever in terms of new products and excitement.

Lesser Evets

macrumors 68040
Jan 7, 2006
Good News. The confirms that the tablet will be running iPhone OS. I am hopeful for

128GB of storage.
Bluetooth Keyboard Support
Bluetooth Mouse Support
iWork version for the Tablet
SDHC Support
802.11n Support
3G Option with the option not to get it at all.
Camera on the front for Web and on the back to take photos
Price sub $900

Stating it as such.... $900 is too much.
I wouldn't be surprised if this is what it ends up being.
The real worth will be in the apps/function.
This

I agree with everything you wrote except for the keyboard and mouse. How does it make any sense to have those two peripherals for a hand held device? Where would you put the tablet while using those things, and how would you see the screen?

There will be a bluetooth hook up that will probably work for whatever you want: keyboard, mouse, ear piece, etc.
If this thing is worthy of being a very limited desktop computer, you just...

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/product.asp?order_num=-1&SKU=14641424
or..
543100592C.JPG

$5 at your local bath store.

chmarch

macrumors member
Aug 22, 2007
External Video

Has anyone thought about the external video connections this thing might have now that we're pretty much set on an "iPhone OS on steroids"?

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I would just like to see Apple make jailbreaking nearly unnecessary in 4.0. Which means incorporating:

- multitasking for all apps, not just their own
- theming. The default theme is nice, but customization would be better
- downloading & saving of attachments. How they've ignored this for as long as they have is inexcusable, especially with the plethora of apps that can read & edit documents of all kinds
- downloading of files from Safari. Again, pretty weak of them to have ignored this feature
- a section of the file system that is available to users, for the aforementioned downloading and saving of files. This section should also be available to all apps
- something, anything other than the currently useless home screen

Do this, and many people would have little need for jailbreaking, which I'm sure would please Apple.

zed2

macrumors 6502a
Jul 17, 2004
Bucks
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_2 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7D11 Safari/528.16)

chmarch said:
Has anyone thought about the external video connections this thing might have now that we're pretty much set on an "iPhone OS on steroids"?

Well it'll likely have the iPod dock so you can expect compolent and composite outputs. Maybe also have mini display port if so then you get VGA DVI and HDMI.

Mofred

macrumors newbie
Jan 15, 2010
AT&T reps think new iphone coming out on Valentine's Day

I went to upgrade to 3gs last week and rep suggested I wait. She said they are scheduled for new iphone on Valentine's Day. Would seem to fit with some of the the updated schedule that is bandied about here.

Lepton

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2002
Cold Spring Harbor, NY
Why would there be support for a Mouse when you have a multitouch display!?!?!!!
Mouse support will simply be a byproduct of stylus support.

The tablet will support a stylus. Have you noticed all the Apple stores run their sales on an iPod Touch with a stylus? You need it for signatures. The tablet stylus would be a simple conductive stick. It allows for drawing, signing, and precise pointing. And handwriting, with the addition of OSX's already existing Ink technology. With some improvements, it would do well in a tablet.

So if you are going to support a stylus you may as well support a Bluetooth mouse, which gives you those features and... hovering! That will give us back the tooltip.

I expect a stylus, Bluetooth mouse, and Bluetooth keyboard support to be added into the tablet.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
Mouse support will simply be a byproduct of stylus support.

The tablet will support a stylus. Have you noticed all the Apple stores run their sales on an iPod Touch with a stylus? You need it for signatures. The tablet stylus would be a simple conductive stick. It allows for drawing, signing, and precise pointing. And handwriting, with the addition of OSX's already existing Ink technology. With some improvements, it would do well in a tablet.

So if you are going to support a stylus you may as well support a Bluetooth mouse, which gives you those features and... hovering! That will give us back the tooltip.

I expect a stylus, Bluetooth mouse, and Bluetooth keyboard support to be added into the tablet.

I really don't see them adding a cursor. A stylus and a mouse are not related in this situation, one does not lead to the other. I wouldn't even consider bluetooth keyboard support to be an absolute given, but at least it would make some sense.

str1f3

macrumors 68000
Aug 24, 2008
Easy, wait for someone to port Linux to the tablet. I bet it will take a few months but that is about the only way you will get what you want

I'm speaking of the iPhone. As of right now I'm losing interest in anything described as an "iPhone on steroids".

christall109

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2007
Makes sense. If I recall correctly, I remember at the SDK events the developers would say that they have been playing with the new sdk for about 2 weeks. This lines up perfectly with a January 27 Apple event.

I also did some research and fond that Apple releases invitations to these events about 1 week to 1.5 weeks ahead of the event. I bet the ivitations will go out sometime next week.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Jun 20, 2005
Confused salesperson may actually be referring to iPhone OS 4.0.

AT&T Salespeople do not know anything more than what we know. I seriously doubt that AT&T reps get inside information from Apple about upcoming phones and OS versions.

azsprty

macrumors 6502
Jun 15, 2009

wow so unless your iphone is jailbroken and tethers its not reliable? sounds pretty ignorant to me

pmz

macrumors 68000
Nov 18, 2009
NJ
I would just like to see Apple make jailbreaking nearly unnecessary in 4.0. Which means incorporating:

- multitasking for all apps, not just their own
- theming. The default theme is nice, but customization would be better
- downloading & saving of attachments. How they've ignored this for as long as they have is inexcusable, especially with the plethora of apps that can read & edit documents of all kinds
- downloading of files from Safari. Again, pretty weak of them to have ignored this feature
- a section of the file system that is available to users, for the aforementioned downloading and saving of files. This section should also be available to all apps
- something, anything other than the currently useless home screen

Do this, and many people would have little need for jailbreaking, which I'm sure would please Apple.

Add to this list: a more useful and informative lockscreen (Intelliscreen) and the ability to respond to SMS without leaving an app (TLert).

I'm not prepared to give up either unless 4.0 blows me away.

rwilliams

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Add to this list: a more useful and informative lockscreen (Intelliscreen) and the ability to respond to SMS without leaving an app (TLert).

I'm not prepared to give up either unless 4.0 blows me away.

I'm with you on this. The functionality that I listed (except for theming) is too important to me to give it up for iPhone OS 4.0 if it's not incorporated.

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
Tethering has nothing to do with iPhone OS 4.0. It has everything to do with AT&T's bandwidth.

I've run Netshare a few times with no problems and it was in the app store for a while until AT&T asked that it be removed.

Lack of tethering is one of the reasons that I don't have an iPhone. It's one thing to block AT&T users, but I think it's pretty bad that Apple has restricted it on factory-unlocked phones too. I don't know how Apple gets away with saying that the phone's unlocked when there are carrier restrictions (tethering only works with Vodafone in NZ, at GPRS speeds).

So, my wishlist for OS 4 is pretty brief: If the phone is factory unlocked, then don't restrict features based on carrier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.