Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

A Tesla Model 3 owner has resorted to a workaround to implement Apple CarPlay in his vehicle, amid no sign of official support from Tesla (via Tesla North).

tesla-carplay-solution.jpg

Apple CarPlay and Apple Music support are among the most-requested Tesla features, but with no indication that Tesla is willing to implement Apple CarPlay in its vehicles, Polish developer Michał Gapiński took matters into his own hands. Using a Rasberry Pi and the car's browser, Gapiński was able to get a fully functional version of Apple CarPlay running on his Tesla's display and shared the result on Twitter.

The system works using a Rasberry Pi with an LTE modem and a Wi-Fi access point, running a custom Android-based firmware. The in-car browser is then used to connect to the Rasberry Pi and display the CarPlay interface on the Tesla's screen, with all apps working as expected, including Maps and Apple Music. The Tesla Apple CarPlay solution continues to work while driving and can even be controlled with the car's steering wheel buttons.

Gapiński is now working on improving the Wi-Fi connection to make the stream smoother. He says that the project is still in its early stages, but once it is ready he plans to release the solution to the public.

Tesla has a strained relationship with Apple and seems to want full control over its infotainment system, making the chances of Apple CarPlay support in the near future very unlikely. Despite signs that Tesla was planning to support Apple Music, this has similarly not come to fruition.

Most carmakers offer Apple CarPlay in their vehicles, making Tesla's omission a notable exception. Some electric cars that seek to directly compete with Tesla, such as the BMW i4, BMW iX, and Porsche Taycan, offer heavily integrated versions of Apple CarPlay, as well as other Apple services such as Apple Music and Apple Podcasts, including support for features such as time-synced lyrics.

Article Link: Developer Showcases Apple CarPlay Workaround for Teslas

rk-apple

macrumors member
May 4, 2015
I love my Tesla. The integrated maps in the Tesla have great details about supercharger locations, usage, etc. How about a trade off? Apple integrates supercharger info into its Maps app and Tesla agrees to allow CarPlay.

In the meantime, I'd settle of an Apple Music option on the Tesla UI.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Gapinksi you are a hero! will this be a legit upgrade? or will invalidate some Tesla warranty in the process?
Since they mention it being controlled by the steering wheel, it is likely this needs to be physically plugged in between the wheel and the cars computer (like other second screen solutions for Model 3/Y).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.