Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

FightTheFuture

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2003
that town east of ann arbor
Elon Musk HATES Apple in general.

That’s the main reason why they will NEVER bring any integration with Apple ecosystem.

(Heck, from what heard from my close cirlcle, there was one proposal that Musk suggested where it would block ANY Apple devices from connecting via Bluetooth and pop up would appear suggesting user switch to android phone. Tesla board had other plans since that would DEFINITELY bring DOJ’s attention)

Besides, Musk is SUPER afraid of Apple Car, a “device” (yes, Apple car is considered a device, despite being a car) that will most likely destroy Tesla in long run.
Then why does he use an iPhone?

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I think they both hate each other. Let’s be real, it’s 2022 and we cannot even name a single product or feature Tesla and Apple have worked together on. Let's be real here

I don't think they hate each other. It is more likely that Tesla just doesn't want to relinquish control of the Infotainment UX to a third party at this time.

It is likely at some point they will add Apple Music like they have the other streaming options. To get AM to work in their existing design language will likely require support from Apple.

hansmoleman

macrumors member
Sep 13, 2014
I love my Tesla. The integrated maps in the Tesla have great details about supercharger locations, usage, etc. How about a trade off? Apple integrates supercharger info into its Maps app and Tesla agrees to allow CarPlay.

In the meantime, I'd settle of an Apple Music option on the Tesla UI.

Most of the folks clamoring for CarPlay haven't actually driven a Tesla, at least not as a daily driver.

CarPlay feels extremely limited after doing so. Lists limited to a dozen or so items? Give me a break.

What Tesla is lacking is - as you said - native Apple Music. Add that, and there's absolutely no reason whatsoever for CarPlay.

I gave up CarPlay from my Cadillac and don't miss anything except, again, native Apple Music.

Tempor_aka

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2021
I had 2 cars with Apple CarPlay, sold one and bought a Tesla, oh boy do I regret that big time! I mis Apple CarPlay every time, the Tesla update 11 is like going back to the 90’s … Horrible user interface, I cannot turn on seat heating without activating the cabin heater, who ever thought it was a great Idea to hide these controls in a second window pane should be fired. No 360 camera??!!! My 6 year old car has it. No cross traffic warning / braking when reversing of the driveway??!! My 6 year old car has it. Phantom breaking on the highway when on autopilot … The list goes on and on. Did I mention they slowed down the charging rate with an update, a 2020 car with 15K miles is now charging slower than most of it’s similar priced competitors, if this would be Apple it would be all over the news …

MrENGLISH

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2009
My 2015 Dodge Charger is just a few months away from being paid off and the one thing I wish it had was CarPlay. There are a few workarounds to adding it into my particular model but none of them are as good as the 2017 and newer Chargers have it. I can swap in a 2017 uConnect unit but then I lose the controls for my heated seats and steering wheel. Then there are a couple Frankenstein methods to side load Android and then use an app to run CarPlay on it - which is probably the way I'm going to have to do it if I decide to finally bite the bullet and do the mod.

DelayedGratificationGene

macrumors 6502a
Jan 11, 2020
Anybody(macrumors?) know the status of John P from Patently Apple? He went in to the hospital on Friday after having complications from covid. I frequent his amazing website often. I hope he’s doing ok.

Reactions: Jax44

BradWI

Suspended
Aug 29, 2011
I like that Teslas don't have CarPlay... makes it easy to downselect. I am currently planning an EV purchase and won't even start looking at Teslas because of this. Currently the Ford Mach-E is at the top of my list.

You'll be missing out on the best EVs then, especially if you go with a Ford lol. CarPlay is not the future. Manufacturers want full control of the in-car experience so they can monetize it with media, game and app purchases, location-based advertising and more. When self driving eventually happens those millions of vehicle passengers will be a valuable captive audience and vehicle manufacturers won't let Apple or Google replace their highly monetized UI.

For a glimpse of the future, look at CES from a few weeks ago. Ford (because of their partnership with Amazon) is putting Fire TV in their vehicles. So you're locked into Amazon's ecosystem for in-vehicle entertainment, and that's just the beginning.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
I had 2 cars with Apple CarPlay, sold one and bought a Tesla, oh boy do I regret that big time! I mis Apple CarPlay every time, the Tesla update 11 is like going back to the 90’s … Horrible user interface, I cannot turn on seat heating without activating the cabin heater, who ever thought it was a great Idea to hide these controls in a second window pane should be fired. No 360 camera??!!! My 6 year old car has it. No cross traffic warning / braking when reversing of the driveway??!! My 6 year old car has it. Phantom breaking on the highway when on autopilot … The list goes on and on. Did I mention they slowed down the charging rate with an update, a 2020 car with 15K miles is now charging slower than most of it’s similar priced competitors, if this would be Apple it would be all over the news …
I would be very surprised if your car actually charges slower than it's similar priced competitors. Tesla hasn't messed with the taper rate on Model 3's yet (they have on the Model S though as @cmaier can attest to).

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Think I’ll be going with Polestar when I get an EV. Beside the very buggy software on Tesla’s they also have horrendous build quality for a “premium car”
I've read that the Polestar 2 is quite nice. IIRC the Polestar 3 should be the SUV version coming out at the end of this year.

Reactions: ScottishDuck

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I wish Tesla would add CarPlay, it is really Apple Music that I want. It keeps me from subscribing to both Apple Music AND to Tesla's premium connectivity package regularly (I do subscribe to premium for a month here and there when I'm going on road trips).

Overall Tesla's UI is pretty good, although I feel they took a step back with v11 as they made several features I use regularly harder to access or removed them completely.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
CarPlay is totally unnecessary in a Tesla. You need it in cars by traditional car makers because their infotainment is always like something from an earlier time.

But adding Apple Music is top of my wish list for Tesla. Otherwise I may switch to Spotify soon, but really don't want to have to start from scratch with a new recommender system trying to learn what I like...

Thehangmn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
This is endlessly frustrating. Tesla just needs to add this functionality. Spotify and Tidal are already on there... WTF? Doesn't Elon always talk about how Apple is a closed wall system and doesn't allow for competition?

also... I'd like to be able to order genuine tesla parts for my car.

Reactions: killawat

Thehangmn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
CarPlay is totally unnecessary in a Tesla. You need it in cars by traditional car makers because their infotainment is always like something from an earlier time.

But adding Apple Music is top of my wish list for Tesla. Otherwise I may switch to Spotify soon, but really don't want to have to start from scratch with a new recommender system trying to learn what I like...
CarPlay maybe, the maps functionality is definitely not needed. but an apple music app would be nice. Tesla's music app blows and its a pain in the ass having to control music on my phone, so I can listen via bluetooth.

Tesla's UI seems to constantly change and its super frustrating. controls disappear, and I have to find them again. Tesla is cocky about their position, there is no reason why I wouldn't consider another EV manufacturer if they had similar cost/range/function, and offered a better user experience.

Reactions: icwhatudidthere

LV426

macrumors 68000
Jan 22, 2013
What bugs are on CarPlay?

Have two cars with CarPlay and I see no severe bugs to speak of
My CarPlay has an annoying bug. When I set off down the road, the map position jitters about once a second. Very distracting. But if I click the Music app icon, then back to the map, the jittering goes away and the map scrolls smoothly as I drive. The most recent update did not fix this.

WingingIt

macrumors regular
Dec 23, 2021
CarPlay maybe, the maps functionality is definitely not needed. but an apple music app would be nice. Tesla's music app blows and its a pain in the ass having to control music on my phone, so I can listen via bluetooth.

Tesla's UI seems to constantly change and its super frustrating. controls disappear, and I have to find them again. Tesla is cocky about their position, there is no reason why I wouldn't consider another EV manufacturer if they had similar cost/range/function, and offered a better user experience.
That's what I said isn't it? CarPlay = not needed, Apple Music app (to go along with existing Spotify & Tidal apps) = yes please Elon!!

Tempor_aka

macrumors member
Oct 29, 2021
I would be very surprised if your car actually charges slower than it's similar priced competitors. Tesla hasn't messed with the taper rate on Model 3's yet (they have on the Model S though as @cmaier can attest to).
Model X 2020, slightly slower speed charging speed, just enough not to be noticed to avoid backlash, and ramping down as quick as 25% charge really? It really should charge at 120 - 130kw till 50 to 60% and then tapering of … Yes they where the most efficient but now the competition charges faster, and the latest generation of German cars is as efficient (first generation Etron was horrible in efficiency, but it charges insane 150kw from zero to 80%), going back as soon as I get a descent offer … The only benefit for now is the charging network, but for long trips I take my ICE car anyway, so for me personally that is no issue, granted for road tripping the SC network is hard to beat, but that will go away as alternative networks are ramping up quickly and Tesla started to open up, first test in the Netherlands ….

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Model X 2020, slightly slower speed charging speed, just enough not to be noticed to avoid backlash, and ramping down as quick as 25% charge really? It really should charge at 120 - 130kw till 50 to 60% and then tapering of … Yes they where the most efficient but now the competition charges faster, and the latest generation of German cars is as efficient (first generation Etron was horrible in efficiency, but it charges insane 150kw from zero to 80%), going back as soon as I get a descent offer … The only benefit for now is the charging network, but for long trips I take my ICE car anyway, so for me personally that is no issue, granted for road tripping the SC network is hard to beat, but that will go away as alternative networks are ramping up quickly and Tesla started to open up, first test in the Netherlands ….
In this case, yeah Tesla should probably offer higher sustained charge rates for folks if they really want it (prefaced with a warning about reduced pack lifespan, like they do the drivetrain warning). I doubt they will though as it just ends up being more work for themselves.

The newer cars charge faster (for longer) because they upped the Voltage from 400V to 450V.

EDIT: didn't realize you had an X over a 3/Y, Tesla has done those cars dirty in the past.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.