Did I screw myself with the 16GB iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by sou1 so1di3r, Mar 14, 2012.

1. sou1 so1di3r macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

So I pre-orered my white 16GB iPad.... had it personalized with an engraving..

and now I'm reading all these articles about how the new retina apps are going to be huge..... and I am sorta freaking out :(

I could live without putting any music on my iPad I guess (I have my 32GB iPhone always handy) but I was hoping to load up tons of pictures to look at and play some fun games and watch movies etc...

:(

It's pretty much to late to cancel and try to order the 32GB........

I just... I... sjohfgas;ddlfkjsdlfkjsd;lfkjsdf

damnit

2. EvilEvil macrumors 6502a

EvilEvil

Yes you did. I would have bought at least a 32gb. I bought a 32gb iPad 2 but wish I bought a 64gb. I will be picking up a 64gb iPad 3 in a few weeks.

3. chukronos macrumors 6502

You could return it. OR, use iCloud. I will be using iCloud, myself. However, app size shouldn't get that much larger for the display. The reason Apple's apps are larger is because they added a lot of additional functionality, not because they are accommodating the display.

4. Richard A macrumors member

Call Apple and ask, everyone here will have opinions, but until you talk to someone at Apple you really will not know. Good luck.

5. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

No, you didn't screw yourself. It all depends on how you're going to use the device. I had a 16gb iPad 1 and didn't even come close to filling it up, and I had hundreds of apps on there. If you're going to load lots of movies on the iPad, then yes, you'll quickly run out of space. Apple wouldn't sell the iPad in 16gb format if they didn't think people were going to buy it.

6. murdercitydevil macrumors 68000

murdercitydevil

For movies, use Air Video and stream everything. You can set up a server over the internet so you can stream anywhere. Huge no brainer, why don't more people consider this option? For games, you can delete the ones you don't play once you start running out of space. Pictures...depends on what you mean by "tons". You'll probably be fine. If anything, you're more likely to work out a much more efficient usage plan instead of letting unused crap accumulate just because you have the storage to house it.

7. sou1 so1di3r thread starter macrumors 6502a

sou1 so1di3r

I'm going to call apple and see if it is too late to change it to a 32GB

8. slippery-pete macrumors 65816

slippery-pete

Good luck

9. ripkord macrumors 6502

I say relax, see how you get on. I wouldnt worry about pics taking up huge amounts of space, bear in mind the screen is only about 3MP so you dont need to have HUGE photos for you to appreciate the screen. A high quality JPG from my 10MP camera is about 3MB so in 8GB you will have enough space for nearly 3000 pics (but in reality pics at a third of that size will look just as good on the ipad)

10. _Matt macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9B176 Safari/7534.48.3)

That's a good call. I really think 16 GB iPad owners will be unhappy unless it will have limited uses in their day to day life. And why limit yourself with a brand new toy?

11. identity macrumors 6502

Yup. There's plenty of ways to utilize your space. I've always deleted music, pictures, and apps that I don't need or use often. There's no reason to keep data that you don't use because it just takes up space that you need. The average apps aren't that big anyways, it's only if you want to play those graphic intense games like Infinity Blade or Street Fighter. Once you beat those games, you probably won't go back and play them much so you can always delete and redownload them later if you want to play them again.

12. OneMike macrumors 603

OneMike

Exactly. It all depends no how YOU use it.

I had 16GB 1 and 2 and never came close to running out of space.

13. ripkord macrumors 6502

Yeah I got the 64gb 1st gen (it was 64gb or no ipad lol and I couldnt wait :D) I have used 4GB. :D

14. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I think everyone needs to quit panicking. When you get the device, if you find it isn't working for you, you can return it to Apple.

Breathe in, breathe out. Repeat.

15. arterio macrumors member

Completely agree. My iPhone I opted for the 32GB version and paid the extra for it, and I never use more than 30% of it. I don't keep a lot of apps. I might download them, try them, and if I like them and use them frequently then I keep them. I work in an office so I have constant access to WiFi and if I'm out and need it then I'll just enable my hotspot on my phone. I think 16GB is more than enough for now. The apps aren't all that big, and I won't be keeping a lot of content on the device at any one time.

16. 0dev macrumors 68040

0dev

I have a 32GB iPad and only used the space by filling it with films for trips. Before that - with a fair few games and other apps as well my music library - it only had about 6GB filled up. I have a 16GB iPhone 4 and the same applies - I only filled it when I stuck a bunch of media on there, apps are rarely a problem.

I wouldn't worry about it too much if apps are your main concern.

17. ripkord macrumors 6502

Because £80 for an extra 16GB is a rip off? :)

I use mine nearly every day, dont play many games on it, when I do they arent graphics heavy - have a vita/xbox/ps3 for that. Dont put music on there - its all on my phone and I stream video from my PC when I want to watch something. So basically have 16GB of space for apps / photos. Should be fine.

18. powerslave12r macrumors 6502a

I don't need another avenue to tempt me to hoard ****. I'll keep the important stuff on the ipad. Everything else goes to the cloud.

19. gorskiegangsta macrumors 65816

gorskiegangsta

Precisely the reason why I ordered a 64GB model.

I just don't see how 16GB capacity can be of use (to me, personally) given the fact that some content like advanced 3D games and iTextbooks can take up to 4GB in size (the "retina" versions of which will be even larger).

All this, however, will depend on what you, personally, plan to do on the iPad.

20. ripkord macrumors 6502

Jeez, 4GB! Yep glad dont need to use textbooks :D

21. NutsNGum macrumors 68030

NutsNGum

Not if you've had it engraved.

22. mac jones, Mar 14, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 14, 2012

mac jones macrumors 68040

iTexbooks? Those must be Apple's new format. If they are up to 4GB then there's somethings seriously out of wack.

23. hoofbite macrumors member

The bottom line is: if you have a lot of music, movies and download all kinds of apps...your going to need something bigger than a 16gb.

There is no fun in having to 'make space' just to have enough room for certain apps/songs/videos. Even if you don't fill it up right away, in time you will and you'll end up having to delete things you wish you didn't have to.

Unless you are going to do nothing but surf the web and download apps that are less than 100mb in size, then a 16gb is fine. But then you are just under utilizing the iPad.

If you can return it and upgrade to a 32gb, do it. If not, then just enjoy your iPad and see if you fill it up overtime and you could always upgrade later. :)

24. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

Precisely why I don't engrave anymore.

However, I did manage to sell an engraved iPhone (3GS) with no problem - the person who bought it said he didn't care, he'd have it in a case anyway.

Still, not worth panicking over. When you have the device in hand, you may find that 16g is just fine for you. If not, I'm sure you can sell it - even though it is engraved.

25. djransom macrumors 68040

djransom

I've been using 16GB for the past couple of years without issue. I only put music on both my iPhone/iPad that I actually listen to which may hit 2GB. I do not keep movies on my iPad and I also do not use alot of apps.