Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rockitdog

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Mar 25, 2013
I’ve seen multiple reports online about Apple telling suppliers to cut back on production. Is it too early to call the iPhone XR flop for Apple?

koooolkeith

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Definitely too early for that. Very solid phone and a lot of users that I know whom own the phone, love it. From what I’ve read it seems like Apple has cut back on production temporarily due to some issues regarding quality control with the XR’s circuit boards.

Reactions: DaveyVigs

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018
I also heard rumors that cutting production was also due to component quality issues. Not trying to spread rumors, just making the point... "WHO KNOWS... besides Apple????"

Reactions: mprime_17

ftaok

macrumors 603
Jan 23, 2002
East Coast
There have really only been a few, verifiable flops at the new Apple. The Xr probably isn't one of them. (Aside - the much maligned 5c wasn't a flop either).

Don't listen to the analysts. They have no interest in reporting real news or relevant information. They only want to drive a narrative to influence the stock price in a certain direction. In Apple's case, they typically put out false/misleading negative reports to drive the price down. Then they retract those reports or "clarify" them and the stock rebounds. In the meantime, they've made $$$$ for their clients.

omelet1978

macrumors 6502
Sep 22, 2012
Most of the YouTube technology reviewers are saying that the iPhone XR will be a slow burn rather than an instant hit.

i want to say around 6 months after the iPhone X release consumers started buying up the iPhone 8/8+ in numbers higher than the iPhone X. Basically the people buying these phones are not fans of technology like we are, and they buy when they need to get a new phone. They basically went for the less expensive option. I'd suspect the same thing will happen this year with the iPhone 8/8+ selling more at first than the XR and then as time goes buy the XR will start selling more as people start to get used to the design.

The only thing that I can see really affecting the XR possibly is that it's priced about $50 too high and does not have 3D touch.

CT30

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2018
As someone who is leaning towards getting an XR next week, part of what was said here is worrying. Do you think that these circuit board troubles are a widespread issue or not a giant deal overall?

In other words, should I put off getting an XR for a while?

ericg301

macrumors 68020
Jun 15, 2010
as Tim has said many times, you can't take any rumor out of the supply chain and try to extrapolate anything about sales. There's too many variables.

Reactions: haruhiko

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
As someone who is leaning towards getting an XR next week, part of what was said here is worrying. Do you think that these circuit board troubles are a widespread issue or not a giant deal overall?

Not a big deal at all.

Apple clearly tests each component before assembly, that's in addition to supplier testing.

pdp1

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2018

No I wouldn't worry. I mean, they're allegedly slowing production to address these quality issues right? I.E. they're making sure the ones of bad quality don't get out of the manufacturing plant.

I've been on the manufacturing floor of consumer electronics in China many times and stopping the line for quality purposes is not an uncommon thing, especially during an initial release of a product, so even if you wait a few weeks, you could still have with a scenario where there are quality issues. What's uncommon though, is the volume Apple deals with, and that is what makes headlines.

Reactions: Jovijoker

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Cutting back production doesn't mean it flopped.
It can mean that they have enough produced units for sale and can accommodate making more units but on a slower pace, not rushed like last years iPhone X.
Not only that, but not increasing/expanding production vs. cutting back production are also somewhat different things.

Reactions: Jovijoker
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.