iPhone XR Did the iPhone XR flop? [MERGED]

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by rockitdog, Nov 8, 2018.

1. rockitdog macrumors 68020

I’ve seen multiple reports online about Apple telling suppliers to cut back on production. Is it too early to call the iPhone XR flop for Apple?

2. givemeanapple macrumors Demi-God

givemeanapple

Cutting back production doesn't mean it flopped.
    It can mean that they have enough produced units for sale and can accommodate making more units but on a slower pace, not rushed like last years iPhone X.

3. koooolkeith macrumors member

koooolkeith

Definitely too early for that. Very solid phone and a lot of users that I know whom own the phone, love it. From what I’ve read it seems like Apple has cut back on production temporarily due to some issues regarding quality control with the XR’s circuit boards.

4. Vermifuge macrumors 68000

Vermifuge

Nikkei doesn't have the best track record and Supply chain numbers have failed to predict apple sales numbers in the past.

not everything you read on the internet is true.

5. pdp1 macrumors member

I also heard rumors that cutting production was also due to component quality issues. Not trying to spread rumors, just making the point... "WHO KNOWS... besides Apple????"

6. vikingjunior macrumors 65816

vikingjunior

As a potential XR buyer that doesn't make me confident.

7. deeddawg macrumors 604

How do I know if this statement is true? :D

8. Yogosans14 macrumors regular

Good I took mine back as it wasn’t as sharp and crisp of a display as my 8+.

9. koooolkeith macrumors member

koooolkeith

I can empathize with that. However, Apple has a great track record of fixing and or replacing products without too much hassle.

10. Broadus, Nov 8, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2018

Broadus macrumors 6502a

If the XR is a flop, it's the best flop ever, in my opinion. I've had it for a week and a half and am very satisfied with it.

11. ftaok macrumors 603

ftaok

There have really only been a few, verifiable flops at the new Apple. The Xr probably isn't one of them. (Aside - the much maligned 5c wasn't a flop either).

Don't listen to the analysts. They have no interest in reporting real news or relevant information. They only want to drive a narrative to influence the stock price in a certain direction. In Apple's case, they typically put out false/misleading negative reports to drive the price down. Then they retract those reports or "clarify" them and the stock rebounds. In the meantime, they've made $$$$ for their clients.

12. Garemlin Suspended

Garemlin

Read further out. They cut back due to some qc issues with the printed circuit boards. Has nothing to do with sales.

Cudos to them for making sure the product is good before shipping.

You reading that Google??

13. Bob Coxner macrumors 6502a

I'm reading your comment on the internet. I guess it may not be true.

14. ThatiPhoneKid macrumors 6502a

No it has not flopped, a phone which was purchased 9 million times during its opening weekend of sales is not a flop

15. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

16. omelet1978 macrumors member

Most of the YouTube technology reviewers are saying that the iPhone XR will be a slow burn rather than an instant hit.

i want to say around 6 months after the iPhone X release consumers started buying up the iPhone 8/8+ in numbers higher than the iPhone X. Basically the people buying these phones are not fans of technology like we are, and they buy when they need to get a new phone. They basically went for the less expensive option. I'd suspect the same thing will happen this year with the iPhone 8/8+ selling more at first than the XR and then as time goes buy the XR will start selling more as people start to get used to the design.

The only thing that I can see really affecting the XR possibly is that it's priced about $50 too high and does not have 3D touch.

17. CT30 macrumors newbie

As someone who is leaning towards getting an XR next week, part of what was said here is worrying. Do you think that these circuit board troubles are a widespread issue or not a giant deal overall?

In other words, should I put off getting an XR for a while?

18. ericg301 macrumors 65816

as Tim has said many times, you can't take any rumor out of the supply chain and try to extrapolate anything about sales. There's too many variables.

19. purged macrumors member

God I hope so, I love negativity! I want everything to fail! Sweet!

20. JPack macrumors 68040

JPack

Not a big deal at all.

Apple clearly tests each component before assembly, that's in addition to supplier testing.

21. penajmz macrumors 68040

penajmz

I think it did. Everyone had such high hopes and now production is being cut.

22. pdp1 macrumors member

No I wouldn't worry. I mean, they're allegedly slowing production to address these quality issues right? I.E. they're making sure the ones of bad quality don't get out of the manufacturing plant.

I've been on the manufacturing floor of consumer electronics in China many times and stopping the line for quality purposes is not an uncommon thing, especially during an initial release of a product, so even if you wait a few weeks, you could still have with a scenario where there are quality issues. What's uncommon though, is the volume Apple deals with, and that is what makes headlines.

23. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

Not only that, but not increasing/expanding production vs. cutting back production are also somewhat different things.

24. karmatourer macrumors 65816

karmatourer

It will be the biggest seller in history. It's certainly the current best bargain.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The XR isn’t slated to flop. And this is why you can’t read into it too deep with analysts (Or ‘insiders’) with Internet articles that have *no* evidence of Apples future with an iPhone that just released two weeks ago. Long term, the XR will do very well.