Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Did your iMac got dust in the screen or you know someone with this issue?

• Yes

Votes: 102 42.5%
  • No

Votes: 57 23.8%
  • I didn't even know this is an issue

Votes: 81 33.8%

• Total voters

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Two 27” iMacs in a dusty basement for years. No dust under the screens.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Had it happen on multiple iMacs, mine and other people I know.
[doublepost=1543752657][/doublepost]
Btw, I dont see any cases for 2017 and especially iMac Pro. Does anyone have this issues on 2017 or iMac Pro?

Hasn’t happened on my iMac Pro yet.

ducknalddon

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2018
Yes, my late 2013 21.5 model has it. I bought it second hand and originally thought it was finger prints from a service.

Has anybody tried cleaning it out?

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
I just started getting this on a 6 month old iMac Pro! Quite upset. Been in very clean studio, no dust. Will Apple fix/replace?!

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia

nymac111

macrumors newbie
Jan 2, 2019
I have a late 2014 iMac 27" 5k. In late 2017, noticed smudges in lower left and lower right corners of screen. I brought it in to be fixed under my extended Apple Care warranty - they replaced the entire display on Jan 28, 2018:

661-00200 Display Panel, Retina 5K $ 510.23 $ 0.00
S1490LL/A Hardware Repair Labor $ 79.00 $ 0.00
Total (Tax not included) $ 589.23 $ 0.00

The problem returned within weeks so I brought it back in March 2018, and the same fix was made under warranty ($589.23).

Now, I notice dust/smudge marks again, this time worse than ever in the lower right, lower left, and top left corners. I just called Apple and they tell me it is no longer under warranty but to bring it in and they will see what they can do. I told them I shouldn't have to pay for it and they said "we will see".

When I called Apple Care when I first encountered the problem, the senior rep told me that if you have a recurring issue, you do not have to worry about the warranty expiring - that it will always be taken care of, even if out of warranty - and she said notes have been added to my calls/repairs to that effect. She also said, if the same problem with the display keeps occurring, that they would replace the entire machine, but that they had to try at least twice. This all put my mind at ease, except now when I just called them, the senior rep I spoke to told me that none of that was true! She told me she would work with me, but that technically it is out of warranty and that the last fix only comes with a 90 day warranty. I told her that obviously something is wrong here - something that replacing the display panel is not fixing, and that I should not be held accountable for a manufacturing defect. She told me she agreed, but sometimes what she thinks is right does not always happen. She was pleasant enough and told me to take it to the Apple Store and call her.

I just signed up for the class action lawsuit as well.

I will keep this thread going with my experiences...

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Tried that. They said they've never serviced an iMac Pro, no store in the UK has a replacement screen, it might take 3 weeks to come in to the store. Not a great experience for such an expensive product.

Ifti

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2010
UK
Tried that. They said they've never serviced an iMac Pro, no store in the UK has a replacement screen, it might take 3 weeks to come in to the store. Not a great experience for such an expensive product.

So they keep your computer while they wait for the screen?
Or do you keep and use the computer for now, and return once the screen arrives?

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Mar 24, 2010
Or do you keep and use the computer for now, and return once the screen arrives?

Sometimes they keep it (a friend of mine had to keep his computer there for a few weeks when they changed his battery because the top case wasn’t in stock), but if you ask, they will usually let you keep it until the parts arrive (like in the case of my logic board).

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
Either way, I would get it fixed. It only gets worst as time goes on. I know my screen did. They put a new screen on it so far no problems.

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
They said I can take it home until the part arrives. However I'm worried that even if they replace the screen the problem will re-appear in the future due to dust leaking from a defective internal cooling system?

ProTruckDriver

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2016
Virginia
I would mention that when you drop off your Mac for repair. When I took my Mac in for screen repair I also asked questions on cleaning inside while repairing and looking for defects. I also asked to see the Tech who worked on my Mac. Their work order has the name of the Tech working on it. When I picked it up I asked what work was done and what he seen. The Tech said he did a thorough cleaning and seen no defects other than the screen he replaced. I also have that all in writing, they didn't like that but I demanded it, see the manager if you have to. Don't take "No we can't do it" for an answer if you have Apple Care. Good Luck. :)

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
Thanks.

Is there any common opinion about what actually causes this issue? I.e. is it simply a defect in the screen, perhaps a seal somewhere around the screen, or is it a fault inside the Mac's cooling system, or elsewhere in the Mac?

a2jack

macrumors 6502
Feb 5, 2013
These 27" Mac's appear to be to total dust breathers. Here's our late 09, just two years out of the Apple Store for HD recall. I would think they cleaned then...But maybe not. a2
IMG_1665 (2).jpg
IMG_1665 (2).jpg
IMG_1667.jpg
27" 09 iMac. In Apple store for HD recall 2years ago, I would think they cleaned it then...Maybe not.

Last edited:

pr33tz

macrumors regular
Nov 14, 2008
London, UK
I have an iMac Pro which had the dust problem. I took it to an Apple Authorised Service center and they replaced the display within a few days. Disappointing for a machine that costs £4899.

freshj

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2007
I have an iMac Pro which had the dust problem. I took it to an Apple Authorised Service center and they replaced the display within a few days. Disappointing for a machine that costs £4899.

Yeh it's not what you want from such an expensive machine. How's it held up since the repair?

PBinCT

macrumors newbie
Jul 3, 2017
Watertown, CT
Just brought my mid2017 27" imac in for a replacement screen because of dust in the lower corners. The Apple tech didn't seem surprised. I have the imac in my home office which I vacume and dust every week--not a poor environment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.