Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
These phones look and sound boring.
I'm sure they'll sell well, but colour me unenthused overall. Even the watch seems to be very iterative this year. Macs on the other hand, well, those have got me really interested with the move to Silicon.

And to think that this comes after another totally iterative 2019 (iPhone 11/Pro were an S- level update at best, the XS before that was considered a non-update even by the iVerge, and the Watch 5 was not even that). Tim & Co are milking the cow so shamelessly and halting innovation to a grind, it's such a deep disappointment to watch for all of us who followed, stood by and admired Apple in its creative heyday.

But hey, there are always those who'll rush to defend Apple with "if it ain't broken", "ya but more profits than eva", "I lurv Tim and see no mistakes" "you're a Samsung using haterrr" non-arguments to shill in Apple's favour. What's in it for them, I wonder?

Oh well, let's see what the new Macs will look and perform like, but I'm not holding my breath.

Last edited:

otternonsense

Suspended
Jul 25, 2016
Berlin
I genuinely believe consumers don’t care what the camera orientation/design looks like, being we never really pay attention to the back of our iPhones. As long as Apple can somehow justify their price tag by including camera technology that makes it worthwhile, that probably overrides the overall aesthetic look. However, they use the camera as their main leverage point every year for marketing.

Yea but they do. Personal anecdote: a good friend of mine I met a couple months ago told me she chose the (gold) XS over the 11 Pro purely by merit of looks; even though she could afford either and she fancied the idea of a better camera. She just couldn't stand the look of it when she put it face down on the table. In her mind, Apple stands for functionality AND aesthetics, and I agree with her. If you think I'm making this up, happy to give you her contact info.

Strokee

Suspended
May 13, 2018
Unless the 5.4" is $650 with a better chip, 5g, better camera, better OLED screen (all things people will care about).
Then a $599 11 ($699-$100) doesn't seem like a good deal.

I think smaller phones are underestimated to be something many, many people want.

we'll see hopefully ? (too bad apple doesn't release unit numbers anymore.... so we'll have to rely on supply chain rumors)
SE: $399
XR: $499
11: $599
12: $699
12 Plus: $799
12 Pro: $999
12 Pro Max: $1,099

A select group of people want a teeny, tiny phone and will buy the 12 simply for the size. The average consumer will look at the 11 and 12 and see that they both have dual cameras and a notch, but one has a bigger screen and is $100 cheaper. They don’t care about OLED or A13 vs A14. They won’t choose 5G over the screen size. People are used to larger phones now: a 5.4” phone will be jarring to see...it’s too small for most people now.

Reactions: PlainEnvelopes

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

A select group of people want a teeny, tiny phone and will buy the 12 simply for the size. The average consumer will look at the 11 and 12 and see that they both have dual cameras and a notch, but one has a bigger screen and is $100 cheaper. They don’t care about OLED or A13 vs A14. They won’t choose 5G over the screen size. People are used to larger phones now: a 5.4” phone will be jarring to see...it’s too small for most people now.
That may be true for a lot of potential iPhone buyers. However, a person with a big ego may do just fine with a small phone. The huge ego would help lessen the shock of seeing small iPhone (by overshadowing it with the massive ego) after so many years seeing otherwise. :D

• Haha
Reactions: JM

jmgregory1

macrumors 68030
And to think that this comes after another totally iterative 2019 (iPhone 11/Pro were an S- level update at best, the XS before that was considered a non-update even by the iVerge, and the Watch 5 was not even that). Tim & Co are milking the cow so shamelessly and halting innovation to a grind, it's such a deep disappointment to watch for all of us who followed, stood by and admired Apple in its creative heyday.

But hey, there are always those who'll rush to defend Apple with "if it ain't broken", "ya but more profits than eva", "I lurv Tim and see no mistakes" "you're a Samsung using haterrr" non-arguments to shill in Apple's favour. What's in it for them, I wonder?

Oh well, let's see what the new Macs will look and perform like, but I'm not holding my breath.

What exactly do you expect from Apple as far as innovation? Every innovation comes with trade-offs, be it high cost, questionable performance, energy efficiency (or lack thereof), aesthetics, etc.

Given the scale and once a year update that Apple has with the iPhone, they just are not going to use bleeding edge tech that risks disappointing millions of consumers. Apple may lead in getting some technologies to be adopted more quickly than others, but they also are not typically going to add in something that others are using just because.

Apple has been THE leader for years when it comes to SoC performance, both efficiency and power. I would say that this lead isn’t being used in ways that consumers readily recognize and therefor some think they’re behind Samsung or any of the Chinese rivals who are clearly pushing forward into the market. Of course they are going to use their chip expertise to drastically change the laptop and desktop computer market in ways that most people can’t understand. If I had to guess, the chip landscape is going to be unrecognizable in the next 3 years, solely because of what Apple does in shifting to Apple Silicon.

And just a general comment about iPhones and their iterative nature over the past 5 years - we really are at that point where a slab of glass and metal can only change so much while providing usable battery life, screen size and other performance metrics that people expect and demand. But to discount or frankly just to not talk about the advancements that Apple has developed, like TouchID and FaceID, which drastically changed how we interact with the iPhone and forced other manufacturers to move away from their poorly developed touch unlock buttons found in the middle of the back of their devices, is a huge shift that Apple deserves credit for. Things like through the screen touch unlock would likely not exist if Apple hadn’t made TouchID / FaceID so ubiquitous.

NetMage

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2007
I see where it might make sense to split the release of the Pro models if they are supply limited on the high end components like the LIDAR sensors.

Scarpad

macrumors 68020
Jan 13, 2005
Ma
I’m still using my iPhone XS Max and still deciding whether I’m sticking with that or going smaller or larger with the 12

JM

macrumors 601
Nov 23, 2014

Fascinating conversation. ?

if they put all those phones out at those price points, I can get on board with your prediction.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
Completely ridiculous that Apple is so unprepared when every other manufacturer like Samsung, Huwaei, Oppo etc...can get their phones out right on time. We won't be seeing the Pro models until December at this point. Those of us on the iUP program need to demand Apple do something about our payments. Im not paying for an old 11 pro max further than 12 payments. If they can't deliver their products on time, they need to make exceptions for their paying customers on their iUP program. Im about ready to take my phone back to Apple and go buy a Note 20 Ultra. Pathetic.

newyorksole

macrumors 603
Apr 2, 2008
New York.
Completely ridiculous that Apple is so unprepared when every other manufacturer like Samsung, Huwaei, Oppo etc...can get their phones out right on time. We won't be seeing the Pro models until December at this point. Those of us on the iUP program need to demand Apple do something about our payments. Im not paying for an old 11 pro max further than 12 payments. If they can't deliver their products on time, they need to make exceptions for their paying customers on their iUP program. Im about ready to take my phone back to Apple and go buy a Note 20 Ultra. Pathetic.

If you're willing to do ALL of that just because the new iPhone is a little late this year, then you must really not care that much about the device or ecosystem in the first place. Other manufacturers aren't like Apple. They don't have the same quality of materials or the same demand. This is a very unique year for everyone. Idk if you've had other bad experiences with Apple, but this reaction seems a little irrational.

I'm sure they'll do something for iUP customers anyway. They have appeasement policies and programs in place for various situations.

pst23

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2015
If you're willing to do ALL of that just because the new iPhone is a little late this year, then you must really not care that much about the device or ecosystem in the first place. Other manufacturers aren't like Apple. They don't have the same quality of materials or the same demand. This is a very unique year for everyone. Idk if you've had other bad experiences with Apple, but this reaction seems a little irrational.

I'm sure they'll do something for iUP customers anyway. They have appeasement policies and programs in place for various situations.
I have an 11 pro max. I bought a Note 20 Ultra this weekend. Seems pretty high quality to me.

Reactions: Ramchi and DexBell

Phone Junky

macrumors 68020
Oct 29, 2011
Midwest
You can go ahead and take your iPhone back to Apple. You still have to either upgrade to a new model or pay it off. Those are Your only 2 choices in the IUP. They won’t mind if you choose to return it AND pay it off.

DexBell

Suspended
Oct 23, 2016
If you're willing to do ALL of that just because the new iPhone is a little late this year,

A week or two is a "little late". 2-3 months late is completely unacceptable for the almighty Apple and Im not going to continue to pay on device past 12 months. Thats why I got into the program, not to pay on one for 14-15 months.

Reactions: pst23

SSDGUY

macrumors 65816
Jul 27, 2009
Dang. Just got an 11 Pro since I broke my old phone and couldn't wait. Not the best timing, but oh well!

vipergts2207

macrumors 601
Apr 7, 2009
Columbus, OH
The 5.4" should have been the true SE 2. I feel like they rushed out the SE2 2020 because they needed to get something in the pipeline. A smallish phone with the SE frame and no chin is going to be their biggest seller yet

The SE has generally been small because it’s cheap, not the other way around. The SE has always been a budget phone, and the 5.4” phone is not meant to be a budget phone.

Reactions: Ko13 and DeepIn2U

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
Dang. Just got an 11 Pro since I broke my old phone and couldn't wait. Not the best timing, but oh well!
That's the position I'm in right now. My 6S Plus fell and hit a corner and cracked my screen to hell (after all these years). It's falling apart but I was waiting for the 12 announcement to make my decision. Gah!

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
I don’t know why people believe there will be 4 iPhone models when all evidence points towards 3 models:
“5.4 iPhone mini with 2 lenses
“6.1 iPhone with 3 lenses
“6.7 iPhone Pro with LIDAR & mmWave

I was just thinking about this and couldn’t understand the reason I no for 2x 6.1” iPhone models. Makes no sense for Apple to make an LCD model at this size when the SE already exists at a much cheaper price. Having 2 separate production lines for 1 model screams of rising costs, more labour for a duplicate process for just a difference of a screen, and wasted time& R&D.

For me, the Watch will be end of this month, and likely the iPhone 12 5.4” with new AirPod Pro’s. Rebuilding my ecosystem.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I hope the Pro model doesn’t come out in November. That’s gonna be an expensive month along with the PS5 coming out then apparently

Right there with you. I’m due for an upgrade over my iPhone XS and my Series 4 watch. And I want the PS5, which we have no idea how much it will cost. But since I barely leave the house, I’m saving money these days.

miq

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2020
The 5.4" model is the most important one and will sell like hotcakes, it will easily be the best selling phone out of the lot
What are you basing this on? You seem awfully confident.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.