DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated]

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Taiwan-based suppliers are gearing up for production of a new lower-cost iPhone, a device that has been tentatively referred to as the iPhone SE 2 or iPhone 9, according to paywalled information shared by DigiTimes.

While the lower-cost iPhone may be on track, DigiTimes also reports that Apple has stopped sending engineers to China to assist with the Engineering Validation Test or EVT stage of iPhone 12 development. Last month, Apple said it was restricting travel to China to "business critical" purposes only due to the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, which has also forced many Apple suppliers to suspend operations.

As a result, DigiTimes believes iPhone 12 models are unlikely to enter production in June, citing unnamed industry sources. Given the coronavirus outbreak is a fluid situation, though, timeframes may change. If the production delay ends up materializing, it is still very possible that Apple will announce its iPhone 12 lineup in September as usual, even if supply of the devices is tighter than usual.

Rumors suggest that the iPhone 12 lineup will include four new models, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, and each will likely be equipped with a faster Apple-designed A14 chip. DigiTimes expects A14 chip orders to be 50-60 percent higher than A13 chip orders.

All of this information was shared in DigiTimes' Daily Digest for paying subscribers, with the full reports likely to be released by tomorrow.

Update: The full DigiTimes report has been released and, as we suspected, it claims that the iPhone 12 production delays are unlikely to affect Apple's plan to announce the new devices in September.

Article Link: DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated]

Last edited:

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
I read in the New York Times today that China believes that the spread of the virus is slowing and that other regions of the country may be able to resume production soon. We are far enough out from June that I think they could still meet the deadlines.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
more reason some may switch to the new Samsung S20.
So you’re suggesting consumers are switching to the S20 just because of iPhone production ‘may’ fall behind? That’s Not really a valid argument. That’s like me saying ‘if Samsung falls behind on their latest smart phone, customers are just going to abandon ship and totally jump to the iPhone.’ That doesn’t make sense. Consumers are devoted to the platform they choose, if the production is behind, that means they just have to wait a little bit longer.

it’s a much bigger leap to switch smart phone platforms, especially if you’re devoted to iOS, which extends to the AirPods, HomePod, etc.

GrumpyMom

macrumors G3
Sep 11, 2014
So you’re suggesting consumers are switching to the S20 just because of iPhone production ‘may’ fall behind? That’s Not really a valid argument. That’s like me saying ‘if Samsung falls behind on their latest smart phone, customers are just going to abandon ship and totally jump to the iPhone.’ That doesn’t make sense. Consumers are devoted to the platform they choose, if the production is behind, that means they just have to wait a little bit longer.

it’s a much bigger leap to switch smart phone platforms, especially if you’re devoted to iOS, which extends to the AirPods, HomePod, etc.
I use iPhones and Samsungs. They're more different from each other to me now than when I started using two platforms back when the ill-fated Note 7 debuted. Perhaps to a person who uses their phone sort of in a vacuum i.e. independent of a social ecosystem and/or larger computing/wearables ecosystem they can be interchangeable.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I use iPhones and Samsungs. They're more different from each other to me now than when I started using two platforms back when the ill-fated Note 7 debuted. Perhaps to a person who uses their phone sort of in a vacuum i.e. independent of a social ecosystem and/or larger computing/wearables ecosystem they can be interchangeable.
Yup, I remember you mentioning that you’re interchangeable with your platforms, I’d say you’re more of a rare breed that does something like that, but has the best of both worlds also in the same respect experiencing technology that one over the other.

I just don’t believe that just because if latest smart phone might delayed, someone says ’Well, I give up, I’m going to switch platforms entirely’. I just think in today’s day and age of technology with ecosystems, it’s not that easy anymore.

Fanboi4life

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Call me arrogant but why should their flagship model EVER be effected by the production of a $300 dollar budget phone? Apple shouldn’t be producing those anyway, waste of resources and time. There are millions of iPhone 7’s on eBay that should serve that demographic.

decypher44

macrumors 6502a
Feb 24, 2007
Orange County, CA
Nooooo!!! I’ve been waiting for 15-16 months to finally rid myself of this XSMax Intel monstrosity. It’s been marked on my calendar that September of 2020 would be my day of liberation. They can’t push it back!!

Curse you, coronavirus!!!!!