DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated]

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
The 5.4" iPhone 12 would be 123.8mm x 58.6mm, which is the same size as the iPhone SE. So imagine an SE without any bezel, and that's the smallest iPhone 12.

I dig it. Definitely getting rid of my hand-me-down X for it.
No, the 5.4" iPhone would be about 96% the size of iPhone 8. It's nowhere near the size of iPhone SE.

Height = 5.25"
Width = 2.61"

compwiz1202

macrumors 6502a
May 20, 2010
Good! More iPhones available for the rest of us.
Yes it could workout for the loyal Apples. People will fear backorder and flee so the ones who stay actually benefit from decent supply. Same as when the did construction on 378 years ago. So many rerouted that it was actually faster overall. And steadier. It went slower but never stopped instead of stop and go constantly, and the average speed was definitely faster.

So I wonder which scenario will happen:

1. They work like crazy and get back on track by preorder time.
2. They are behind and delay launch.
3. They are behind but still launch the same in fear of losing sales, but backorder is horrendous, so people cancel in droves, and they lose sales anyhow.
4. Other.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Maybe it'll be made in India?
The Bangalore plant isn’t large enough to take complete control of all iPhone manufacturing (I believe India’s plant lacks some of the Tooling necessary for mass production), but they probably could assist in some of the manufacturing, as it was reported back in April 2019 that India would help cut down on labor costs, and be more of a smaller ’sister plant’ to aid in production.

Reactions: JosephAW

thejadedmonkey

macrumors G3
May 28, 2005
Pennsylvania
No, the 5.4" iPhone would be about 96% the size of iPhone 8. It's nowhere near the size of iPhone SE.

Height = 5.25"
Width = 2.61"
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The iPhone SE is a 5.4" phone. It's 4.87x2.31 inches. If we go back to algebra class, the hypotenous of a right angle triangle is a^2+b^2=c^2. In other words, a 4.87" by 2.31" phone has a diagonal of 4.392 inches (just shy of 5.4").

If the rumored 5.4" phone is .01" smaller- so 5.390- on the diagonal and if that includes the bezel, it would be smaller than the iPhone SE.

CopyChief

macrumors regular
Oct 9, 2007
It seems like every year around this time DigiTimes talks about how production of the next big thing might be delayed. Is this the year they're right? Does it matter?

Reactions: centauratlas

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
I think you're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The iPhone SE is a 5.4" phone. It's 4.87x2.31 inches. If we go back to algebra class, the hypotenous of a right angle triangle is a^2+b^2=c^2. In other words, a 4.87" by 2.31" phone has a diagonal of 4.392 inches (just shy of 5.4").

If the rumored 5.4" phone is .01" smaller- so 5.390- on the diagonal and if that includes the bezel, it would be smaller than the iPhone SE.
Those numbers would only work in an imaginary world with no bezels. Not to mention the iPhone SE chassis has the wrong aspect ratio compared to iPhone X and newer devices.

Realistically, given how the 5.4" iPhone is being positioned, the device will likely have thicker bezels than iPhone X, similar to XR. This is a result of using less expensive rigid OLED panels. If you wrap iPhone XR bezels around a 5.4" display based on a 19.5:9 aspect ratio, it's going to be 96-99% the size of iPhone 8.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Call me crazy, but I'd consider it as a secondary phone next to my iPhone 11 pro. I can think of a lot of situations where I'd definitely prefer the smaller size over the bulky iPhone 11 Pro!
I'd also feel better traveling with a cheaper, smaller phone than my full priced XS. I really think Apple is missing out by making the SE 2 a larger phone.

Justanotherfanboy

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2018
I'd also feel better traveling with a cheaper, smaller phone than my full priced XS. I really think Apple is missing out by making the SE 2 a larger phone.
Yeah, giving up that “it’d be nice to have a 2nd cheap/small backup phone for traveling” market... just to get that “hey, finally a normal sized brand new iPhone for cheaper than most Android phones- this is for me!” market.

Apple is really missing out big there.
/s

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA

A 5.4” display would result in an overall size of 2.64” x 5.30”, if the bezels are the same width as the 11 Pro. That’s about the same width but not quite as tall as the iPhone 8, which is 2.65” x 5.65”.

Shanghaichica

macrumors G4
Apr 8, 2013
UK
So you’re suggesting consumers are switching to the S20 just because of iPhone production ‘may’ fall behind? That’s Not really a valid argument. That’s like me saying ‘if Samsung falls behind on their latest smart phone, customers are just going to abandon ship and totally jump to the iPhone.’ That doesn’t make sense. Consumers are devoted to the platform they choose, if the production is behind, that means they just have to wait a little bit longer.

However on the other hand it could work in Apple’s favour. If it’s constrained, it might appear to be ‘the in thing’ and people might wait to get it.

it’s a much bigger leap to switch smart phone platforms, especially if you’re devoted to iOS, which extends to the AirPods, HomePod, etc.
I think some people are not really brand loyal. They upgrade when their contract is up for renewal and can be swayed by whatever the sales person in the store advises them to buy based on how much they want to spend.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
i wonder how long COVID-19 continues to live on surfaces, if it isn't treated with an agent to degrade its DNA fragments.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

mi7chy

macrumors 603
Oct 24, 2014
Delay gives Apple time to go back to the drawing board to redesign to make it mask friendly for COVID-19.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I think some people are not really brand loyal. They upgrade when their contract is up for renewal and can be swayed by whatever the sales person in the store advises them to buy based on how much they want to spend.
Sure, there are those who are not ‘brand agnostic’, they choose whatever works best for them. My point was though, it is difficult for those who are tied in the ecosystem in terms of like the AirPods, Apple Watch, HomePod, just to end up abandoning the iPhone simply because there’s a delay. But that doesn’t really sound all that logical from a consumer standpoint, Especially when most iPhone users have at least one Other Apple product in their home that’s probably tethered with iOS.

Reactions: Shanghaichica

Alyssaa1213

macrumors newbie
Sep 17, 2017
Unfortunately, some people can’t afford “new.” And that’s okay. But why should the people who are contracted to receive a new phone every year, on the same month have the inconvenience of waiting longer for a flagship product?
The iPhone 9 was already nearing production and was designed way before the outbreak occured I believe. They aren't just going to scrap the iPhone 9. And people who already have the 11 can afford to wait a little for an upgrade as it's still new and the best on the market (will still be one of the best even with the 12 release) Not saying those on a yearly upgrade plan should have to wait but stuff happens and sometimes things don't go as planned. And the iPhone 7 is already older now. There hasn't been a low cost iPhone in years so this is overdue for Apple. The 9 has been planned for a while now and is very close to release at this point. The 12 could (possibly) get disturbed because it's further from release and Apple can't get the design team flown to China now. I don't think the iPhone 9 release is causing much if any interference though. But anyway with all that's happening in China I think we can agree that we can all afford to wait and health is far more important. I do think that Apple should try to diversify supply chains more to prevent these types of disturbances.
- - Post merged: - -

I'm just wondering how they'd fit all the lastest tech and chipset into a body that small. It would still need a decent size battery too. Maybe they figured it out or it'll be the size of the iPhone 8 instead just full screen? (I'm referring to the new 12 not the 9.)

Reactions: brucemr

brucemr

macrumors regular
Sep 25, 2019
I'm just wondering how they'd fit all the lastest tech and chipset into a body that small. It would still need a decent size battery too. Maybe they figured it out or it'll be the size of the iPhone 8 instead just full screen? (I'm referring to the new 12 not the 9.)
I’m not concerned about battery life in smaller 5.4” screen all screen iPhone. 5.4” uses less power to drive it vs. the current sizes. Also, iOS software has made improvements in last years to optimize battery. Further, A14 chip is expected to be reduced (from 7) to 5 nm node size for first time, which provides opportunity for further battery use reduction.

Last edited:

MacBH928

macrumors 68040
May 17, 2008
Tim Cook, the master of logistics, made the rookie mistake of relying on 1 production source.
Its not just Foxconn but the whole of China and nearing neighbours who build the iPhone parts.

People are hoping things will get better from here, but there is the possibility that the dangers grows further and the spread increases.

Reactions: BusanAA

Peter pp

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2020
The schedule delay is because Apple are heavily innovating at the last minute their NosePods - like the AirPods, but you stuff the NosePods up your nose to filter out the coronavirus. Comes with bluetooth and wireless charging.

dampfnudel

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
So why is it the iPhone 12 instead of the 11S?
A minor hardware redesign, perhaps necessitated by the addition of 5G, along with an upgraded display, upgraded camera with a fourth lens/time of flight camera, a huge performance improvement with the 5nm A14 processor and who knows what else makes this more than your typical S model upgrade. Next year’s iPhone will probably be called the 12s unless the notch goes away which in that case might give us (hopefully not unlucky) 13.

MartyvH

macrumors regular
Sep 16, 2017

Height = 5.25"
Width = 2.61"
That's still only 10mm taller and 8mm wider than the SE and 96% of the iPhone 8 is still more compact than the iPhone 8, so I'm buying the 5.4". 😁

Reactions: bn-7bc

bn-7bc

macrumors regular
May 30, 2008
Arendal, Norway
going to effect annual upgrade users lol.....
Not only the anual upgraders, I’m still on Iphone 6, and have a upgrade planned this year, artly because I no longere receive the latest ios, but mostly because of 5G

Eh who cares, the 11 (any version) is already an absolute unit of a phone. We've reached the point of rapidly diminishing returns and unless Apple radically redesigns the body to be thicker and carry a larger battery (doubtful) there's not much to be improved upon. Take your time apple.

Hey I'm selling one on there! Yay!
Hmm well appart from 5G thati is Rollout is allready underway and by end of next year both MNOs here n Norway have promised completed deployments. I wander if they wil roll our ipv6 a the same time, my gues is yes, I see no reason for them to wait any longer, deplye ipv6 put ipv4 traffic behind cg nat, ans sell off. The ipv4 space they free up. Realice that a lot of the US might have to wait way longer for real 5G, so that this may not be a very interresting phone for a lot of us readers, bo thats the way ir goes some times, but you can bet Apple wil shout lodly about 5G, their lack of 5G phones where starting to look a bit silly imho

Ummmmmm...... because of this virus that’s been in the news, as of late. You somehow missed that in this article & the millions of others mentioning it???
You crawled out from under the rock you’ve apparently been hiding under, to post- so go ahead and treat yourself! Take 5 minutes to catch up on what’s going on in the world!!

edit:
To be clear- I don’t buy into believing there will be a delayed launch in September... but if this epidemic gets worse- I’m definitely not so selfish & self-involved that my only thought would be: “that’s so unfair and inconvenient to my normal phone upgrade plans!”.
You are probably right, the launche, ie rhe press event and rhe hype will not be delayed, but the waiting timesfor day one/week one orders might increase significantly

Last edited: