DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated]

recoil80

macrumors 68030
Jul 16, 2014
So why is it the iPhone 12 instead of the 11S?
11S Pro Max would sound awful.
When they launched the Xs it was Xs Max, now there is also Pro in the name so S would be the a third modifier after the number, too much.

bodonnell202

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2016
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
11S surely. Not 12.
The iPhones released in the fall are widely rumoured to have new designs with new screen sizes and Apple will want to market it as such. If switching from an aluminum build to aluminum/glass from the 7 -> 8 this generation will also skip the S cycle.

If they were releasing phones with the exact same design, with the only changes being an A14 chip, 5G, camera improvements and new colours then it would be the 11S.

Reactions: MartyvH

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
if the new iPhone in September is delayed due to the Coronavirus, so be it, I'd rather wait than workers making the phones getting sick which in turn makes the virus worse.
Can’t say I care. 3rd world problems. I’m sure Apple will find a way to motivate them. Work em harder.

Blacktoothgrin

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2020
Instead it should be opposite. As SE2 is around the corner, like next month so any disruption in its production is understandable, but 12 which is more than a half a year away should be unaffected. So not to sure with the report. Or maybe SE2 batch is all ready & set to be Locked & loaded, maybe, dunno!?

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
hopefully you are joking....
- - Post merged: - -

They aren't always wrong....they have their sources from somewhere.
Most of the time they are though. I always stop reading when it says it comes from Digitimes.

Eagle1337

macrumors regular
Feb 9, 2017
Denmark
Nooooo!!! I’ve been waiting for 15-16 months to finally rid myself of this XSMax Intel monstrosity. It’s been marked on my calendar that September of 2020 would be my day of liberation. They can’t push it back!!

Curse you, coronavirus!!!!!
Strange, I had all iPhones since the 4, and I like the big screen but otherwise i have a lot of strange behavior on my XS Max which i never had on any iphone prior to that. I even got a new one from Apple because it has ticks and missing functionality, but the new one is exactly the same.

Do you have issues too with the XS Max? what kind? I'm also holding out for the 12 pro max (if that is what it will be called) And i dont mind waiting even if it would be bit delayed :)

mdntcallr

macrumors 65816
Aug 1, 2000
I read in the New York Times today that China believes that the spread of the virus is slowing and that other regions of the country may be able to resume production soon. We are far enough out from June that I think they could still meet the deadlines.
anyone believing the official China stance is a fool. They have been rounding up anyone posting info and has been repressing even doctors speaking out. This is a full blown epidemic in China. Until western doctors and more info is shared, hard to trust anything coming from there. Seems like they are ready To sacrifice factory workers in order to keep their economy moving.

WaxedJacket

macrumors 6502a
Oct 18, 2013
Yeah, giving up that “it’d be nice to have a 2nd cheap/small backup phone for traveling” market... just to get that “hey, finally a normal sized brand new iPhone for cheaper than most Android phones- this is for me!” market.

Apple is really missing out big there.
/s
I gave my reason why I'd want a smaller phone. You mistook that as me making the argument that this is an entire market that is needing to be filled. Sorry for your confusion. There are plenty of people on this forum who value the size of an iPhone 5 over the larger, more expensive iPhones.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I gave my reason why I'd want a smaller phone. You mistook that as me making the argument that this is an entire market that is needing to be filled. Sorry for your confusion. There are plenty of people on this forum who value the size of an iPhone 5 over the larger, more expensive iPhones.
It doesn’t sound like you’re making an argument that this is an entire market that is needing to be filled, but rather just saying there’s a few (dozen? hundred?) people on this forum who want them.

Based on orders to suppliers, the “SE2” is expected to sell 30 million units during its first year. Apple apparently doesn’t think that a 4” screen could sell like that, but some users (not you) of 4” iPhones think there’s a real demand for a 4” phone, but for some reason no manufacturer is interested in filling it.

Last edited:

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
It doesn’t sound like you’re making an argument that this is an entire market that is needing to be filled, but rather just saying there’s a few (dozen? hundred?) people on this forum who want them.

Based on orders to suppliers, the “SE2” is expected to sell 30 million units during its first year. Apple apparently doesn’t think that a 4” screen could sell like that, but some users (not you) of 4” iPhones think there’s a real demand for a 4” phone, but for some reason no manufacturer is interested in filling it.
If apple made a 4” se2 they’d be expected to sell millions still. You can’t measure demand for an unreleased phone. Not even Apple. You have to use common sense. At some point they made a decision to stick with iPhone 8 design probably because it was easiest for them and consumers are used to the design.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
If apple made a 4” se2 they’d be expected to sell millions still. You can’t measure demand for an unreleased phone. Not even Apple. You have to use common sense. At some point they made a decision to stick with iPhone 8 design probably because it was easiest for them and consumers are used to the design.
Selling a couple million or 5 million or even 10 or 15 or 20 million doesn’t make a 4” iPhone a viable product.

Android’s got 4 or 5 times as much market share as Apple, and there’s no 50-100 million unit demand for a 4” Android phone. Whether their customers spend $100 or $1,500 on a phone, they want a bigger screen. iPhone customers are no different.

But some 4” screen fans will never accept that. In their fantasy world, if only Apple would make the perfect iPhone—i.e. the one they want, whether it’s a $300 iPhone like the SE or a $800 iPhone like the 11 Pro—Apple would have a huge hit.

There’s such a thing as market research. You can ask people what their ideal phone size is. And of course Apple sold 3.5” and 4” iPhones for many years, just as they sold 11” MacBook Airs and 17” iMacs. There’s a reason none of those products exist anymore.

cardfan

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2012
Selling a couple million or 5 million or even 10 or 15 or 20 million doesn’t make a 4” iPhone a viable product.

Android’s got 4 or 5 times as much market share as Apple, and there’s no 50-100 million unit demand for a 4” Android phone. Whether their customers spend $100 or $1,500 on a phone, they want a bigger screen. iPhone customers are no different.

But some 4” screen fans will never accept that. In their fantasy world, if only Apple would make the perfect iPhone—i.e. the one they want, whether it’s a $300 iPhone like the SE or a $800 iPhone like the 11 Pro—Apple would have a huge hit.

There’s such a thing as market research. You can ask people what their ideal phone size is. And of course Apple sold 3.5” and 4” iPhones for many years, just as they sold 11” MacBook Airs and 17” iMacs. There’s a reason none of those products exist anymore.
People don’t know their ideal phone size or what they want. Your market research is pointless and unreliable. Apple can dictate demand. That’s how they roll.

I’m not sure why you feel bent on saying there’s no demand for a 4” iphone. If apple made it you’d be on board. That I have no doubt. But there’s only so many iPhones you can make. It makes a lot of sense for them to stick with a proven iPhone 8 form factor.

PickUrPoison

macrumors 603
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
People don’t know their ideal phone size or what they want. Your market research is pointless and unreliable. Apple can dictate demand. That’s how they roll.

I’m not sure why you feel bent on saying there’s no demand for a 4” iphone. If apple made it you’d be on board. That I have no doubt. But there’s only so many iPhones you can make. It makes a lot of sense for them to stick with a proven iPhone 8 form factor.
It sure takes a lot of effort to explain why you think Apple doesn’t know what their customers want. Customers themselves don’t know what they want? Apple’s market research is pointless and unreliable? There’s no evidence to support those claims.

I’m not sure why you feel bent on saying there’s sufficient demand for a 4” iphone. Where there’s demand, it gets filled. Where are all the 4” Android phones? They could sell 4-5 times as many as Apple could. Why don’t Android buyers want a 4” phone, at any price?

If Apple could make a $399 5.5” iPhone, it wouldn’t surprise me if they could sell 50 million instead of 30 million units. Because most people want bigger phones, don’t they? Maybe in a few years with the “SE3” 🤷‍♂️

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo

Taiwan-based suppliers are gearing up for production of a new lower-cost iPhone, a device that has been tentatively referred to as the iPhone SE 2 or iPhone 9, according to paywalled information shared by DigiTimes.

While the lower-cost iPhone may be on track, DigiTimes also reports that Apple has stopped sending engineers to China to assist with the Engineering Validation Test or EVT stage of iPhone 12 development. Last month, Apple said it was restricting travel to China to "business critical" purposes only due to the Wuhan coronavirus outbreak, which has also forced many Apple suppliers to suspend operations.

As a result, DigiTimes believes iPhone 12 models are unlikely to enter production in June, citing unnamed industry sources. Given the coronavirus outbreak is a fluid situation, though, timeframes may change. If the production delay ends up materializing, it is still very possible that Apple will announce its iPhone 12 lineup in September as usual, even if supply of the devices is tighter than usual.

Rumors suggest that the iPhone 12 lineup will include four new models, including one 5.4-inch model, two 6.1-inch models, and one 6.7-inch model, and each will likely be equipped with a faster Apple-designed A14 chip. DigiTimes expects A14 chip orders to be 50-60 percent higher than A13 chip orders.

All of this information was shared in DigiTimes' Daily Digest for paying subscribers, with the full reports likely to be released by tomorrow.

Update: The full DigiTimes report has been released and, as we suspected, it claims that the iPhone 12 production delays are unlikely to affect Apple's plan to announce the new devices in September.

Article Link: DigiTimes: Apple Suppliers Gearing Up for iPhone SE 2, But iPhone 12 Production May Fall Behind Schedule [Updated]
the DigiTimes outlook that iPhone 12 models are "unlikely" to be impacted is a joke.

even just with current China related travel restrictions, as well as current level of delays in courier shipping, the period from just after CNY to May/June is going to result in critical delays in getting final spec approved model production.
its already taking about 15 days for courier packages to get in and out of major China gateways.
i would imagine apple is leasing more and more jets for groups of engineers to get into and out of China since commercial flight travel in the region is increasingly seen within Asia as putting passengers at risk.