Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is widely rumored to be planning redesigned 14-inch and 16-inch MacBook Pro models with mini-LED displays, but the notebooks may be released later than expected.

13-inch-macbook-pro-m1.jpg

While multiple sources have indicated that Apple planned to release the new MacBook Pro models in the second half of 2021, including analyst Ming-Chi Kuo, Taiwanese supply chain news website DigiTimes today claimed that the launch of MacBooks with mini-LED displays may be postponed until some point in 2022.

The full report has yet to be released, but a paywalled preview reads as follows:
Mini LED-backlit MacBooks launch may be delayed
Launch of Apple's mini LED-backlit MacBook series may be postponed to 2022, according to industry sources.
No further details are available at this time, but the full report should be published by tomorrow, and we'll update this post accordingly.

In early March, Japanese publication Nikkei Asia reported that Apple had delayed mass production of two new MacBook models from May or June until the second half of the year, which might be a factor behind the potential launch delay.

The new MacBook Pro models are expected to be powered by an improved iteration of Apple's custom M1 chip. In the event that Apple is facing manufacturing challenges with notebook-sized mini-LED displays, Apple could certainly update the existing MacBook Pro with Apple silicon this year as a stopgap, but it's unclear if the company would do so.

Article Link: DigiTimes: MacBooks With Mini-LED Displays May Be Delayed Until 2022

RedTheReader

macrumors 6502a
Nov 18, 2019
Dismay aside (don’t worry, I can assure you that I felt it too), what can we expect in the form of new MacBooks for the rest of the year? Are there any final Intel/Radeon releases planned for the 16” model? Or maybe an M1X version without miniLED? At this point, something is much, much better than nothing. At least for me it is. And I’m sure people who actually need new machines feel much more strongly about it.

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area
Dismay aside (don’t worry, I can assure you that I felt it too), what can we expect in the form of new MacBooks for the rest of the year? Are there any final Intel/Radeon releases planned for the 16” model? At this point, something is much, much better than nothing. At least for me it is. And I’m sure people who actually need new machines feel much more strongly about it.
I doubt Apple will make any new designs or major updates to Intel-powered Macs. And if they did, would that be a wise buy with the replacement model less than 12 months out?

Maconplasma

Cancelled
Sep 15, 2020
Dismay aside (don’t worry, I can assure you that I felt it too), what can we expect in the form of new MacBooks for the rest of the year? Are there any final Intel/Radeon releases planned for the 16” model? At this point, something is much, much better than nothing. At least for me it is. And I’m sure people who actually need new machines feel much more strongly about it.
No thanks! I would say spending another $3000 on a 16" MacBook Pro with Intel is NOTHING. Such a beautiful machine I use everyday (16') that blows fans like crazy when I'm doing FCPX projects.

Adelphos33

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2012
I know people are waiting for the high end MacBooks with new screen technology and such, but a few things...

1) These machines will be expensive. A 14” MacBook Pro, presumably with a more powerful chip, new screen, starting at 16GB, will probably start at $1,699, maybe more. 16” may start at $2,000 or more

2) Aren’t both the M1 Macbook Air and M1 MacBook Pro in their current form more powerful than the MacBook Pro 16” is now?

3) If Apple can’t get the new models done this year they should just go with the M1 chip now for their 16 inch model, or introduce a new 16” model (in the current form factor) with the M2 chip concurrent with the iPhone release

Lamborrari

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2016
Chicago
Didn’t they just start production of the M2 chip? It isn’t Apple to start production of an SoC literally a year ahead of time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.