DigiTimes Says iPad Air 3 Will Have 4K Display and Up to 4GB RAM

CagdasCizer

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2015
Not slower, it's the crashes. Reviewing all the logs, all my crashes were due to device running out of memory, using the 6 for a month, no issues, same apps.

Dude, if you game or run intensive apps, at a higher resolution, CPU + RAM + GPU are stressed more. Granted GPU takes bulk, though CPU and ram is also impacted, simple basics.

The same CPU + ram + GPU in the smaller resolution 6, no issues .

If you got a retina MacBook etc, play around with resolutions and check the resources , usage etc.
interestingly; especially after ios 9 I have never seen a crash on my device apps works perfectly wheter native or 3rd party. Granted the animations are still choppy but it surely seems like bad coding
[doublepost=1454310909][/doublepost]
You're telling me that programs that utilize the full screen with their own graphics (let's say a program that's creating/manipulating full screen images as you're using it) will run just as well on a device with 2GB of RAM as 4GB of RAM?

The iPad Pro is just an iPad with a bigger screen, you don't think the RAM bump has anything to do with the larger screen? To make programs that are using the larger screen run more efficiently? Why didn't they just leave 2GB in it?

Gary
hmm maybe.. maybee they realized while multitasking 1gb is not enough since like 3 years. I think its way more about the a9x which has double the performance of a9? 2gb was more than enough for everyday tasks. There is a reason ipad 2 with 512mb ram runs way better than ipad 3 with 1gig ram. It had underpowered cpu and gpu therefore bad performance. Stop this ram madness its not big of a deal. Android devices can run 2k displays easly with 2 gig ram. So can the ipad.
[doublepost=1454311602][/doublepost]
I have read in multiple places, including the following, that the human eye (a good eye, of course) can resolve up to 700ppi at 25cm:

http://bit.ly/1WQwHvY

If true, adding a 4K or even 5K pixel density screen to a 9" iPad would not surpass the eye's pixel resolving power. If anything, a higher resolution would merely make what you see in photos all the more realistic. To me, that is desirable and awesome, so long as the GPU can stay up to speed.
Its not about pixel resolving. You can differentiate between 30-60-120 fps too. But there is always an optimal spot for it. Above 300ppi is more than enoguh which b my standarts equals to 60 fps. I used 2k displays extensively and never felt it was better than iphone displays. If it wont impact the gpu cpu at all and every app runs at that resolution I wouldnt mind using but I think there are lot more places apple and all other brands can improve than screen which somehow gets all the spotlight since 2014

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
interestingly; especially after ios 9 I have never seen a crash on my device apps works perfectly wheter native or 3rd party. Granted the animations are still choppy but it surely seems like bad coding
I assume yours in a 6 plus?

Mine crashed constantly and was even replaced by apple. There were a few theories around at the time, that the ram was not enough, the type of ram might have been causing the issues etc, though as an end user, it was the worst iPhone I ever had, so after it was replaced, I sold it asap, and used my 5S until I got the 6S plus, no memory crashes yet....very happy so far

CagdasCizer

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2015
I assume yours in a 6 plus?

Mine crashed constantly and was even replaced by apple. There were a few theories around at the time, that the ram was not enough, the type of ram might have been causing the issues etc, though as an end user, it was the worst iPhone I ever had, so after it was replaced, I sold it asap, and used my 5S until I got the 6S plus, no memory crashes yet....very happy so far
Yep a 64 gig 6+ that I have been using for 14 months. I used an iphone 5 before that which was a perfect device in my opinion and my father still uses it and quite happy with it. I definetly agree that 6+ is a poorly designed device among other apple devices in both hardvare and software but its still more enjoyable than any other android device I used. Not saying that it has great performance but I had occasional safari crashes in ios 8 and currently having no big issues since ios 9 (btw animations really ****ed up in 9.3 beta 2 which was perfect in 9.3 b1:/) I will probably change it when the next generation comes out.

Keirasplace

macrumors 601
Aug 6, 2014
Montreal
Yep a 64 gig 6+ that I have been using for 14 months. I used an iphone 5 before that which was a perfect device in my opinion and my father still uses it and quite happy with it. I definetly agree that 6+ is a poorly designed device among other apple devices in both hardvare and software but its still more enjoyable than any other android device I used. Not saying that it has great performance but I had occasional safari crashes in ios 8 and currently having no big issues since ios 9 (btw animations really ****ed up in 9.3 beta 2 which was perfect in 9.3 b1:/) I will probably change it when the next generation comes out.
You're complaining... That it's messed up.. In a beta? Why are you running a beta?
Being messed is well, is almost assured from own experience with hundreds of betas over the years.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
I see. Mine was a 128, a real lemon, my work mate who set next to me, no issues with his 64. One theory we had was the storage being mlc v tlc.... Selling it, made me appreciate how good the 5s was, if only the battery was better.

if yours is worry free, it's an awesome device , I liked the 6 plus in hand better than the 6s plus.

CagdasCizer

macrumors member
Jun 13, 2015
You're complaining... That it's messed up.. In a beta? Why are you running a beta?
Being messed is well, is almost assured from own experience with hundreds of betas over the years.
I have been using ios betas since first 7.0 beta came out. Back then I wanted to see the new feathures but now I am hopelessly wanting things to improve. The problem is mostly about the software not hardware every 64 bit device owner complains about their device not working properly both in betas and official releases. 9.3 beta 2 is way better than 9.2.1 but that doesnt make it any good.
[doublepost=1454320541][/doublepost]
I see. Mine was a 128, a real lemon, my work mate who set next to me, no issues with his 64. One theory we had was the storage being mlc v tlc.... Selling it, made me appreciate how good the 5s was, if only the battery was better.

if yours is worry free, it's an awesome device , I liked the 6 plus in hand better than the 6s plus.
New aluminum?

Reactions: Vanilla35

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
How on earth did you troll a complaint out of that? Settle down. Guy just said the animations were off in a beta......geez!
[doublepost=1454320675][/doublepost]
New aluminum?
Yeah, you actually feel the bulk difference. It's not much, but the 6 plus felt nicer in my hand, for me anyway.

Canada420

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
Giving it a better screen would prime the sales pipeline for the IPP2, so I don't see that being a problem.

I don't need 7 or 8, (I don't use my iPad on the crapper or in the rain) especially if either directly or indirectly impacts battery life. As long as 1 through 6 are, there plus 3D Touch, I'd be all over this for a 128gb cellular version.

Yeah cool #9 3D Touch

JDW

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2005
Japan
Its not about pixel resolving. You can differentiate between 30-60-120 fps too. But there is always an optimal spot for it.
Actually, it IS abut "pixel resolving." You are merely emphasizing the distance aspect. Read this informative web page which speaks of pixel resolving in terms of both resolution and distance...

http://www.clarkvision.com/articles/printer-ppi/

The point being that if we had approximately 700ppi on a device, a normal person would be hard pressed to resolve pixels at any physically viewable distance. But such is perhaps less important for a big screen iMac than it is for a small device like an iPhone.