DigiTimes Says iPad Air 3 Will Have 4K Display and Up to 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2016.

1. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Oh silly Digitizes! You are losing your creativity. You forgot to add that it will also include a feature Cornea that lets you snap two Retina iPad Air 3's together to get 8K?

2. Andres Cantu, Jan 28, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 31, 2016

Andres Cantu macrumors 68030

Andres Cantu

Time for "The new iPad Air"!

Then, in October, the "iPad Air with Retina 4K Display" ;)

3. soupcan macrumors 6502a

soupcan

There's no point in a 4K display. You can't see the pixels now either, so why waste both processor horsepower and more importantly battery life for a minimal display improvement?

4. Roadstar macrumors 65816

Roadstar

Well, a resolution bump at this point would make it just a perfect time for me to upgrade. For after all, my current iPad (the third generation model) was purchased on day 1 with improved resolution, and we all know how well the rest of the hardware could keep up with it. However, if it supports Apple Pencil, I might take the risk anyway. That old iPad 3 is in desperate need to replacement already.

5. MH01 Suspended

MH01

ipads need a boost in sales. iPad pro is a niche product for many. If they produce an iPad Air with some really nice features, people will buy it. It's probably the line that is struggling the most, from what was a must have product.

6. garylapointe macrumors 68000

garylapointe

"The best camera is the one you have with you". If you're an artist, you'll use a napkin if that's all you have with you.

The current iPhones have much larger displays than when that artist drew the cover to the New Yorker(?) way back when. Is it preferred, no, but in a pinch.

Gary

7. Schubbiii macrumors newbie

If this will happen I might upgrade my Air 1. Nevertheless, i doubt that we will see a 4k screen

8. MH01 Suspended

MH01

Having owned a note 4 in the past, taking notes hand writing works better with a pencil than using ur finger or typing. It's like writing v finger painting :)

Though I admit I did not use it very often.

9. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I highly doubt this, there is no point in having an iPad with 527 pixels per inch.

10. Canada420 macrumors member

I agree with you. about them giving the new ipad a better screen than a Pro. I can't see it happening. UNless they update the pro at the same time.

I predict iPAD Air 3 will have

1. 3GB of RAM
    2. the new A9X at a lower clock
    3. smart connector
    4. pencil support
    5. four speakers
    6. upgraded touch ID
    7. maybe waterproof - that's a big maybe....
    8. maybe no 3.5mm jack - that's also a big maybe....

11. tpluth macrumors member

Same here. Glad I didn't get an Air 2.

12. d0minick macrumors 6502

i just dont understand why apple tv wasnt released with 4k support. they should do a bump upgrade for this. Instead i had to get a roku 4. 4k is really beautiful. really hope SW TFA releases on it later this year.

13. recoil80 macrumors 68030

It is too soon to update the Pro.
    I think it will still have the 3.5mm jack, the first product without the jack will be an iPhone and I'm not even sure it will happen this year.
    The smart connector is cool so I'd like to see it in Air 3

14. DoctorTech macrumors 6502

DoctorTech

I agree, I think the use case for an Apple Pencil on even the 6s+ would be limited. I have my 6s+ in an Otterbox case which puts a lip all the way around the screen so realistically I couldn't use a Apple Pencil from edge to edge even if I wanted to. I'm sure there are a few people who would want that feature but I suspect the demand would be pretty low.

15. vertsix macrumors 65816

vertsix

4K at 9.7"?

If it happens, I'll be very impressed.

But the iPad Pro doesn't even have a 4K display, so it won't happen.

But, aside of the resolution, OLED would be more important to implement on iOS devices. They're so much more power efficient and beautiful displays.

16. Lemon Mac macrumors member

4GB RAM. Well just knock me over with a feather.

17. oldmacs macrumors 601

oldmacs

I'd rather no 4K screen, but I'll take the 4GB of ram and the better battery life :) This could end up being my next iPad. The 4GB of ram would make it last a long time like my iPad 2 has.

18. tpluth macrumors member

Giving it a better screen would prime the sales pipeline for the IPP2, so I don't see that being a problem.

I don't need 7 or 8, (I don't use my iPad on the crapper or in the rain) especially if either directly or indirectly impacts battery life. As long as 1 through 6 are, there plus 3D Touch, I'd be all over this for a 128gb cellular version.

19. American Hero Suspended

American Hero

Yes and when this device is shown off at the Keynote in October, we'll also continue to hear how iPhone and iPad sales are rapidly declining.

Not saying I hate Tim Cook as a person, but hopefully they'll find a more passionate CEO when it comes to tech products. Tim seems clueless about tech and only excels in sales, which are now falling.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 28, 2016 ---
    I don't see how adding a 4K display and adding 2 GB of extra RAM is going to boost sales.

The average consumer doesn't even understand what 4K is, or what RAM is.

I think the iPad needs it's own software, rather than sharing it with the iPhone.

20. Bazooka-joe macrumors 68020

Bazooka-joe

What about the old saying "Twice the technology at half the price every 18 months". Why should Apple wait for a year to roll out 4k to their flagship iPad. If they are ready to go with 4K then why shouldn't they put it out on the Air 3. The Air is a premium product and not a cheap budget item

21. wood1208 macrumors member

wood1208

Hope is no strategy but keeps us going in life. So, keep hoping !!

22. MacBH928 macrumors 68040

MacBH928

If this is true(4K,4 speakers, Apple Pencil, 4Gb RAM) then why ever release an iPad Pro? just because it has a bigger screen? sounds retarded to me.

23. jclardy macrumors 68040

jclardy

This is how they save the iPad and stop the plummeting sales. The Apple Pencil is a great drawing experience, but it is limited to a $900 tablet. Make it available on the smaller, more portable $500 version and it will sell like hotcakes to the digital artist community. Also would give a boost to the iPad for students who want a device for taking notes.

24. MacDarcy macrumors 65816

Yeah, but will you be able to use the Apple Pencil with the iPad Air 3?!!

25. scott911 macrumors 6502a

I wish the thing was a little more substantial - in terms of frame strength.

For me (and I think I'm reasonably careful with these devised) it's an absolute requirement to slap a protective case on it - I know for experience... :(