Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
Oh silly Digitizes! You are losing your creativity. You forgot to add that it will also include a feature Cornea that lets you snap two Retina iPad Air 3's together to get 8K?

Roadstar

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2006
Vantaa, Finland
Well, a resolution bump at this point would make it just a perfect time for me to upgrade. For after all, my current iPad (the third generation model) was purchased on day 1 with improved resolution, and we all know how well the rest of the hardware could keep up with it. However, if it supports Apple Pencil, I might take the risk anyway. That old iPad 3 is in desperate need to replacement already.

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
So the Air is going to get 4K support before the Pro? And the iPad is going to have top of the line display before iPhone? Call me very skeptical.

ipads need a boost in sales. iPad pro is a niche product for many. If they produce an iPad Air with some really nice features, people will buy it. It's probably the line that is struggling the most, from what was a must have product.

garylapointe

macrumors 68000
Feb 19, 2006
Dearborn (Detroit), MI, USA
Out of curiosity, why would someone want a pencil on the iPhone? I do understand that pencil is useful for certain things like drawing but how many people who buy iPhone's are artists or graphic designers? These who are, more then likely would settle for the iPad pro or some other tablets with pencil.

"The best camera is the one you have with you". If you're an artist, you'll use a napkin if that's all you have with you.

The current iPhones have much larger displays than when that artist drew the cover to the New Yorker(?) way back when. Is it preferred, no, but in a pinch.

Gary

Schubbiii

macrumors newbie
Sep 21, 2015
If this will happen I might upgrade my Air 1. Nevertheless, i doubt that we will see a 4k screen

MH01

Suspended
Feb 11, 2008
Out of curiosity, why would someone want a pencil on the iPhone? I do understand that pencil is useful for certain things like drawing but how many people who buy iPhone's are artists or graphic designers? These who are, more then likely would settle for the iPad pro or some other tablets with pencil.

I still have not come across any thing I can not do using just the finger on the touchscreen! I wouldn't pay even a fiver for the Apple pencil if I have no use for it.

Having owned a note 4 in the past, taking notes hand writing works better with a pencil than using ur finger or typing. It's like writing v finger painting :)

Though I admit I did not use it very often.

Canada420

macrumors member
Mar 16, 2012
4K display? Better than the iPad pro? There is no way they'll release something better than the Pro at a lower price.
I think it will have 2GB of RAM and the new A9X at a lower clock, so slightly slower than the pro maybe with the pencil support

I agree with you. about them giving the new ipad a better screen than a Pro. I can't see it happening. UNless they update the pro at the same time.

I predict iPAD Air 3 will have

1. 3GB of RAM
  2. the new A9X at a lower clock
  3. smart connector
  4. pencil support
  5. four speakers
  6. upgraded touch ID
  7. maybe waterproof - that's a big maybe....
  8. maybe no 3.5mm jack - that's also a big maybe....

d0minick

macrumors 6502
Mar 8, 2011
i just dont understand why apple tv wasnt released with 4k support. they should do a bump upgrade for this. Instead i had to get a roku 4. 4k is really beautiful. really hope SW TFA releases on it later this year.

recoil80

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
I agree with you. about them giving the new ipad a better screen than a Pro. I can't see it happening. UNless they update the pro at the same time.

1. 3GB of RAM
  3. smart connector
  4. pencil support
  5. four speakers
  6. upgraded touch ID

It is too soon to update the Pro.
I think it will still have the 3.5mm jack, the first product without the jack will be an iPhone and I'm not even sure it will happen this year.
The smart connector is cool so I'd like to see it in Air 3

Reactions: Dave Walker

DoctorTech

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2014
Indianapolis, IN

I still have not come across any thing I can not do using just the finger on the touchscreen! I wouldn't pay even a fiver for the Apple pencil if I have no use for it.

I agree, I think the use case for an Apple Pencil on even the 6s+ would be limited. I have my 6s+ in an Otterbox case which puts a lip all the way around the screen so realistically I couldn't use a Apple Pencil from edge to edge even if I wanted to. I'm sure there are a few people who would want that feature but I suspect the demand would be pretty low.

vertsix

macrumors 68000
Aug 12, 2015
Texas
4K at 9.7"?

If it happens, I'll be very impressed.

But the iPad Pro doesn't even have a 4K display, so it won't happen.

But, aside of the resolution, OLED would be more important to implement on iOS devices. They're so much more power efficient and beautiful displays.

Reactions: johnnyturbouk

oldmacs

macrumors 601
Sep 14, 2010
Australia
I'd rather no 4K screen, but I'll take the 4GB of ram and the better battery life :) This could end up being my next iPad. The 4GB of ram would make it last a long time like my iPad 2 has.

Reactions: Dave Walker

tpluth

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2014
Carmichael, CA

1. 3GB of RAM
  3. smart connector
  4. pencil support
  5. four speakers
  6. upgraded touch ID

Giving it a better screen would prime the sales pipeline for the IPP2, so I don't see that being a problem.

I don't need 7 or 8, (I don't use my iPad on the crapper or in the rain) especially if either directly or indirectly impacts battery life. As long as 1 through 6 are, there plus 3D Touch, I'd be all over this for a 128gb cellular version.

American Hero

Suspended
Jan 25, 2016
Yes and when this device is shown off at the Keynote in October, we'll also continue to hear how iPhone and iPad sales are rapidly declining.

Not saying I hate Tim Cook as a person, but hopefully they'll find a more passionate CEO when it comes to tech products. Tim seems clueless about tech and only excels in sales, which are now falling.
[doublepost=1453987541][/doublepost]
ipads need a boost in sales. iPad pro is a niche product for many. If they produce an iPad Air with some really nice features, people will buy it. It's probably the line that is struggling the most, from what was a must have product.

I don't see how adding a 4K display and adding 2 GB of extra RAM is going to boost sales.

The average consumer doesn't even understand what 4K is, or what RAM is.

I think the iPad needs it's own software, rather than sharing it with the iPhone.

Reactions: devinthomas

Bazooka-joe

macrumors 603
Mar 12, 2012
Swindon, England
What about the old saying "Twice the technology at half the price every 18 months". Why should Apple wait for a year to roll out 4k to their flagship iPad. If they are ready to go with 4K then why shouldn't they put it out on the Air 3. The Air is a premium product and not a cheap budget item

MacBH928

macrumors G3
May 17, 2008
If this is true(4K,4 speakers, Apple Pencil, 4Gb RAM) then why ever release an iPad Pro? just because it has a bigger screen? sounds retarded to me.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
If it supports the Apple Pencil I will definitely be buying this.
This is how they save the iPad and stop the plummeting sales. The Apple Pencil is a great drawing experience, but it is limited to a $900 tablet. Make it available on the smaller, more portable $500 version and it will sell like hotcakes to the digital artist community. Also would give a boost to the iPad for students who want a device for taking notes.

scott911

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2009
I wish the thing was a little more substantial - in terms of frame strength.

For me (and I think I'm reasonably careful with these devised) it's an absolute requirement to slap a protective case on it - I know for experience... :(

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.