DigiTimes Says iPad Air 3 Will Have 4K Display and Up to 4GB RAM

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Jan 28, 2016.

1. apfelmann macrumors 6502

I'd love an 8GB model for 10$ less

2. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

I don't think its struggling because it doesn't have a 4K display. You would think something like 4K woud matter more on a larger screen. I won't be surprised if Pencil support comes to the Air. And the better speakers from the Pro. But I'm very skeptical it will have 4K display.

3. iReality85 macrumors 6502a

Right, but in regards to this article/speculation, we're talking 4K (if true). 2732x2048 by definition isn't 4K.

They could stick with 4:3 ratio, but then you'd have to have panels cut that are 4096x3072, which is significantly beyond 4K, at least in regards to the vertical dimension. So who knows.

4. Mac Fly (film) macrumors 65816

Mac Fly (film)

DisplayMate rate iPad mini 4 as the best Apple display.

5. dragje macrumors 6502a

dragje

I'm more interested in a new MacPro and a new lineup for laptops :(

6. apfelmann macrumors 6502

maybe they meant 4K video camera. 4K screen makes no sense, wrong ratio

7. burritolove macrumors member

8. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

You're naive. Steve Jobs was the ultimate salesman. I mean that in a complimentary way. Rule of thumb: marketing should always be taken with a grain of salt.

9. warrior2000 macrumors 6502a

4k, 4 speakers, ect all nice.

But will be worthless without Pencil support.
    If Air3 does not have Pencil support I will be really pissed off.

10. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

I doubt it will, that's what the IPP is for.

If they add pencil support, they have just basically made a slighter cheaper, smaller and better IPP

11. apfelmann macrumors 6502

i bought the ipad 3 in 2012 ... still using it although its a little tough ...

but apple wont make thst mistake again. if a new ipad air 3 comes in march with 3 or 4 GB RAM and ipad pro CPU, its gonna be fine for another 12 or 18 months until next refresh

12. sinsin07 macrumors 68040

You should prepare in advance to be pissed off.

13. Kabeyun macrumors 68020

Kabeyun

And an iPad, with a screen the size of a piece of paper, is going to get 4K video before an Apple TV?

Okaaaaay....

14. Koalazub macrumors newbie

No I think they'll break even with battery life when compared with last years model. Apple usually aims for the 10 hour mark. Ohhhh the battery...

15. blackcrayon macrumors 68000

Why would it be "better" though? It would be smaller and quite probably slower (and I don't buy the 4k screen rumor) They might stick a "regular" A9 in there (though maybe higher clocked than in the iPhone). It would be more like a 13" Air to 11" Air in comparison.

16. Rogifan macrumors Core

Rogifan

Except the stiffer competition seems to be coming either from the iPhone or super cheap tablets, or people aren't updating because what they have works perfectly fine. On the first one I'm not sure it bothers Apple if iPad is being cannibalized by the higher margin iPhone. On the second one none of these rumors point to a device that would be a lot cheaper. And with the 3rd one, are people who are in the "works perfectly fine" crowd going to be enticed by 4K? I doubt it.

It just seems odd to me that a non-pro device would get better specs before the pro device does. Plus how does Apple fit a 4K display and 4GB RAM into the Air 2 form factor without impacting battery life?

17. go ipad macrumors member

go ipad

18. apfelmann macrumors 6502

don't worry, it will support pencil

I guess this ipad will be the one many people (including me) have been waiting for to upgrade from ipad 2, 3 or 4 ... I tried the ipad pro but it's too big and heavy

19. s2mikey macrumors 68020

s2mikey

PLease take care of the chassis and screen vibration problem. Then worry about everything else. Thanks :)

20. Blujelly macrumors 65816

Blujelly

Ok maybe not better in everyway,I'm just making somewhat of a point, seems like there are some features people would want on an IPP but are going on an iPad Air that costs less then an IPP.

Which to be honest should already have these features. All this comes of course if the rumors are true

21. profets macrumors 601

I bought it as well in 2012. I think then they were on an annual cycle that they didn't want to stop. But the iPad 4 with A6X is likely what they wanted to have ready for the iPad 3. It's true though, at this point these things are powerful enough to last many years. I wonder more about features that they'll skip on to get it out in spring instead of fall. All speculation though, they may have (very likely) had roadmap laid out for the Airs for several years.

22. Vanilla35 macrumors 68040

Vanilla35

While I generally agree, with diminishing effects - I very occasionally see pixels on the iPad Air 2, when looking closely and have the iPad pretty close to my face. While I don't generally have the iPad close to my face like my iPhone at night, during those circumstances I have noticed pixels occasionally on the home screen. So it could still get better for me, although I wouldn't consider it to be anywhere near necessary.

23. Zaren macrumors regular

Zaren

"Digitimes says..."

and then I stopped reading the article.

24. dude-x macrumors regular

I predict the iPad Air 3 will still have the current generation Retina display but it will have some iPad Pro things like Apple Pencil support and 4 speakers. It might even have the smart connector for peripherals. It will probably have an LED light for the camera. It won't have 3D Touch support. It will probably have an A9X chip.

I don't see how the Air 3 can have a 4K display; not even the Pro has a display that can fit a proper 16:9 4K frame. Would be nice though; but then it would make the iPad Pro a less attractive buy unless you want a larger screen.

It will probably come out March.

25. Elbon macrumors 6502a

Elbon

4K is just the number of horizontal pixels. It could easily have enough vertical pixels to make it a 4:3 aspect ratio, but as others have noted, this seems pointless since the individual pixels are not noticeable on the existing Retina display.