Dinged-up "new" iPhone 6+ from ebay...

wermy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2013
[EDIT] I decided to go ahead and return it (and shipped it off this morning). Thanks for the input.

So I got really impatient and bought a 6+ from ebay, advertised on the listing as being new. The seller is obviously not just an individual (they have a company site and email address) and have 100% positive feedback.

The phone got here today. Box and accessories look brand new, and the phone looks new, with the exception of a scuff/scrape on the top left corner.

I emailed the seller and they responded quickly, were very apologetic and assured me that the phone was indeed new, only taken out of the box to activate it and remove the sim. They said it was possible that the phone came from Apple like that and they just didn't notice (and I've seen several threads on here about that very issue, so it is at least plausible).

They offered either a full refund with return shipping paid, or a $50 refund if I'm willing to deal with the scrape.

It seems to work perfectly fine, has a perfect screen, no bend (hah), etc... But it does have a really loud vibrate motor that I'm worried was caused by whatever caused the scrape (which could have been a drop), but again, that seems to be a hit-and miss issue currently plaguing iPhone 6+es, so it could have just been luck of the draw with that one.

Just looking for input from y'all. I think I'm ok with the scrape but I'm worried about warranty issues down the line - though maybe that worry is unfounded.

What do you guys think? :confused:

Last edited:

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Looks terrible. I wouldn't take $50 to live with that.

Cosmetic defects out of the box can happen whether from Apple or ebay so I'd just return it for a full refund and try again.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
I would definitely return it for a full refund.

The fact that the seller is "only" removing the phones out of the box to activate and remove the SIM sets off red flags for me. Why do that? Something smells fishy here. And in any case, you have only the seller's word to go on, and Apple will very likely blame you or the seller for dropping it.

So yeah, just get the refund. Its bad enough when you sign your own electronics; at least then you have yourself to blame. But to have it come like that out of the box? No way.

Rlong405

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2013
Uk
In a month or so time when you can easily walk into an Apple Store and buy a perfect phone then you will kick yourself because you took a bit of money to have a scuffed phone just because it was available and in your hand.

My thought anyway.

deeddawg

macrumors G3
Jun 14, 2010
US
I'd send it back and try again. Not worth keeping, especially for only $50. Supply constraints are a temporary thing, Apple's making half a million a day and you'll survive until you get one that's pristine.

Now that's said as one who isn't frothing at the mouth over an iphone 6 and my used phones typically look mint.

If instead I just had to have one now and my six month old phones usually looked pretty beat up, then I'd keep it and maybe ask for a little more than $50 compensation, say $75, and go buy an Apple leather case. :D

nburwell

macrumors 601
May 6, 2008
DE
That honestly would bother the heck out of me. For the amount of money you probably paid for it, I would just return it for a full refund.

dopeman

macrumors regular
Oct 10, 2014
So I got really impatient and bought a 6+ from ebay, advertised on the listing as being new. The seller is obviously not just an individual (they have a company site and email address) and have 100% positive feedback.

The phone got here today. Box and accessories look brand new, and the phone looks new, with the exception of a scuff/scrape on the top left corner.

I emailed the seller and they responded quickly, were very apologetic and assured me that the phone was indeed new, only taken out of the box to activate it and remove the sim. They said it was possible that the phone came from Apple like that and they just didn't notice (and I've seen several threads on here about that very issue, so it is at least plausible).

They offered either a full refund with return shipping paid, or a $50 refund if I'm willing to deal with the scrape.

It seems to work perfectly fine, has a perfect screen, no bend (hah), etc... But it does have a really loud vibrate motor that I'm worried was caused by whatever caused the scrape (which could have been a drop), but again, that seems to be a hit-and miss issue currently plaguing iPhone 6+es, so it could have just been luck of the draw with that one.

Just looking for input from y'all. I think I'm ok with the scrape but I'm worried about warranty issues down the line - though maybe that worry is unfounded.

What do you guys think? :confused:

being impatient could hurt your emotions and your wallet....
seriously though...why ebay out of all places...you had to go with ebay..not judging...but really.

Ramio

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2011
Houston, TeXas
being impatient could hurt your emotions and your wallet....
seriously though...why ebay out of all places...you had to go with ebay..not judging...but really.
At least with eBay he has some kind of buyer protection. Not so much with Craigslist or other avenues. What other options did he have?

WilliamG

macrumors G3
Mar 29, 2008
Seattle
I've never seen anyone say their iPhone 6/6 Plus has looked like that out of the box. Never. That's clearly been dropped.

Send it back.

macduke

macrumors G4
Jun 27, 2007
Central U.S.
Send it back if you're concerned with warranty service. Otherwise you're going to need a case with the Plus anyway. It's so slippery. If the case covers it up and you don't care about the warranty or think you could take the chance that it would be ok then take the money.

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
I've never seen anyone say their iPhone 6/6 Plus has looked like that out of the box. Never. That's clearly been dropped.

Send it back.
Maybe not for 6/6+, but we saw plenty of out of the box damage like that with the iPhone 5.

Send it back if you're concerned with warranty service. Otherwise you're going to need a case with the Plus anyway. It's so slippery. If the case covers it up and you don't care about the warranty or think you could take the chance that it would be ok then take the money.
Again, cosmetic damage like in the OP won't void the warranty due to aluminum being soft.

HenryDJP

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2012
United States
Don't keep it. Return it. That Ebay seller is full of it. He/she dropped it. That's why they were clearly willing to offer you $50 to keep it. After a very short time that $50 won't mean nothing to you and you will still have a damaged phone.

Eileen89

macrumors 65816
Aug 12, 2014
That definitely looks like it was dropped. I would take the refund rather than deal with that. I ordered my Verizon iPhone 6 on eBay as the seller listed it as sealed. I got it last Friday and it was in fact sealed and in perfect condition. I would look for another 6 Plus that is listed as New in factory sealed box. Hope everything works out for you.