Dinged-up "new" iPhone 6+ from ebay...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by wermy, Oct 14, 2014.

1. wermy, Oct 14, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2014

wermy macrumors regular

[EDIT] I decided to go ahead and return it (and shipped it off this morning). Thanks for the input.

So I got really impatient and bought a 6+ from ebay, advertised on the listing as being new. The seller is obviously not just an individual (they have a company site and email address) and have 100% positive feedback.

The phone got here today. Box and accessories look brand new, and the phone looks new, with the exception of a scuff/scrape on the top left corner.

I emailed the seller and they responded quickly, were very apologetic and assured me that the phone was indeed new, only taken out of the box to activate it and remove the sim. They said it was possible that the phone came from Apple like that and they just didn't notice (and I've seen several threads on here about that very issue, so it is at least plausible).

They offered either a full refund with return shipping paid, or a $50 refund if I'm willing to deal with the scrape.

It seems to work perfectly fine, has a perfect screen, no bend (hah), etc... But it does have a really loud vibrate motor that I'm worried was caused by whatever caused the scrape (which could have been a drop), but again, that seems to be a hit-and miss issue currently plaguing iPhone 6+es, so it could have just been luck of the draw with that one.

Just looking for input from y'all. I think I'm ok with the scrape but I'm worried about warranty issues down the line - though maybe that worry is unfounded.

What do you guys think? :confused:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Looks terrible. I wouldn't take $50 to live with that.

Cosmetic defects out of the box can happen whether from Apple or ebay so I'd just return it for a full refund and try again.

3. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

4. Shadowbech macrumors 68040

I would definitely ask for a full refund and just wait a bit longer. I'm sure after the 17th, they will start showing up at the Apple store.

5. TraceyS/FL macrumors 68040

No way... that looks sever enough to deny you warranty service if needed.

6. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

I would definitely return it for a full refund.

The fact that the seller is "only" removing the phones out of the box to activate and remove the SIM sets off red flags for me. Why do that? Something smells fishy here. And in any case, you have only the seller's word to go on, and Apple will very likely blame you or the seller for dropping it.

So yeah, just get the refund. Its bad enough when you sign your own electronics; at least then you have yourself to blame. But to have it come like that out of the box? No way.

7. localboy28 macrumors 6502a

Whoever took the sim out prob dropped it
    Send it back

8. Chatter macrumors 6502a

Agree with poet - IF the phone is from Apple, why "open to check sim"? Get your money back if you can.

9. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

No, cosmetic damage does not void the warranty. Aluminum is soft enough that you could easily induce that by brushing/bumping against something.

$50 is not worth it to live with such an eyesore though.

10. tubbymac macrumors 65816

tubbymac

That looks like it was dropped. $50 is not worth having that damage imho.

11. Rlong405 macrumors member

In a month or so time when you can easily walk into an Apple Store and buy a perfect phone then you will kick yourself because you took a bit of money to have a scuffed phone just because it was available and in your hand.

My thought anyway.

12. 617aircav Suspended

Op send it back. That's not a new phone by any description.

13. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

14. deeddawg macrumors 604

I'd send it back and try again. Not worth keeping, especially for only $50. Supply constraints are a temporary thing, Apple's making half a million a day and you'll survive until you get one that's pristine.

Now that's said as one who isn't frothing at the mouth over an iphone 6 and my used phones typically look mint.

If instead I just had to have one now and my six month old phones usually looked pretty beat up, then I'd keep it and maybe ask for a little more than $50 compensation, say $75, and go buy an Apple leather case. :D

15. yanki01 macrumors 68040

yanki01

16. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

That honestly would bother the heck out of me. For the amount of money you probably paid for it, I would just return it for a full refund.

17. dopeman macrumors regular

being impatient could hurt your emotions and your wallet....
    seriously though...why ebay out of all places...you had to go with ebay..not judging...but really.

18. Ramio macrumors 6502a

Ramio

At least with eBay he has some kind of buyer protection. Not so much with Craigslist or other avenues. What other options did he have?

19. WilliamG macrumors 604

I've never seen anyone say their iPhone 6/6 Plus has looked like that out of the box. Never. That's clearly been dropped.

Send it back.

20. macduke macrumors 604

macduke

Send it back if you're concerned with warranty service. Otherwise you're going to need a case with the Plus anyway. It's so slippery. If the case covers it up and you don't care about the warranty or think you could take the chance that it would be ok then take the money.

21. JayLenochiniMac macrumors G5

Maybe not for 6/6+, but we saw plenty of out of the box damage like that with the iPhone 5.

Again, cosmetic damage like in the OP won't void the warranty due to aluminum being soft.

22. HenryDJP macrumors 603

Don't keep it. Return it. That Ebay seller is full of it. He/she dropped it. That's why they were clearly willing to offer you $50 to keep it. After a very short time that $50 won't mean nothing to you and you will still have a damaged phone.

23. Eileen89 macrumors 65816

That definitely looks like it was dropped. I would take the refund rather than deal with that. I ordered my Verizon iPhone 6 on eBay as the seller listed it as sealed. I got it last Friday and it was in fact sealed and in perfect condition. I would look for another 6 Plus that is listed as New in factory sealed box. Hope everything works out for you.

24. tigress666 macrumors 68040

I'd say that the damage looks like it is from a drop so depends on if you're comfortable with the fact the phone has been dropped.

25. pdxmatts macrumors 65816

pdxmatts

Another vote for a full refund. It was dropped for sure :(