'DirecTV NOW' Launches on the iOS and Apple TV App Stores

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Two days after the initial announcement, AT&T's new streaming television service DirecTV Now has officially launched on the iOS and Apple TV App Stores as a free initial download. [Direct Link] The service will allow customers to stream and subscribe to various channel bundles that range in price from $35 to $70, "with no commitments, no equipment, and no installers."

Specifically, the bundles start with 60+ channels ($35/month), 80+ channels ($50/month), 100+ channels ($60/month), and 120+ channels ($70/month). A seven day free trial is available for customers to check out any of the packages, and a limited time offer is knocking down the price of the 100+ channel bundle to $35 to entice new users into subscribing. Premium channels, like HBO and Cinemax, can be added onto any package at $5 per channel.

DIRECTV NOW lets you stream top live channels and thousands of On Demand movies and shows instantly upon sign-up. It¹s hassle-free TV, with no commitments, no equipment, and no installers. Watch your favorite shows on your favorite devices. Start on one device, pause, and continue watching on another. Missed the first part of your favorite show that started airing 10 minutes ago? No worries! Restart your show from the beginning. Enjoy TV freedom with DIRECTV NOW.
AT&T is offering new subscribers a free Apple TV if they purchase three months of pre-paid DirecTV NOW. The new streaming service is also available to watch on the web, and on Android and Amazon devices. The company promises a seamless viewing ecosystem across all of a user's devices, so they can pause a show and pick it up on any smartphone, tablet, or web browser that supports DirecTV NOW.

Article Link: 'DirecTV NOW' Launches on the iOS and Apple TV App Stores

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
Last edited:

macsplusmacs

macrumors 6502
Nov 23, 2014
thank you very much Auero

FYI one can do the "sign up for 3 months and get a free apple tv" from within the sign up process. I originally thought i would have to go to an Apple store.

George Zip

macrumors member
Jan 2, 2011
Someone tell me -- if I subscribe to this, does it give me the "Single Sign On" I need to make other channels on the AppleTV (Disney XD, FX Now, etc.) work (i.e., watch all content, not just a few free shows)?

Suspended
Dec 6, 2012
Finally. I always thought that Comcrap had a good app, but refused to put it on ATV or to sell it without cable. Now the pressure is finally on. And this is great for DirectTV as this could reduce their cost if they can sell subscriptions via the internet instead of having to maintain satellites.

Reactions: nperei

Jukens

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2013
No SSO and very limited TV apps to use your login info for as well they are charging me 14% in taxes for each month...no thanks.

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
Heh. Signed up for three months at 6:30 eastern time, been searching for the app all morning.

To the questions above: they will ship the ATV (4th gen, 32GB) via FedEx, but give a 2-3 week estimate. Single-sign-on does not work with DTV Now; ESPN was the only app I tried that would accept DTV Now credentials.

They only promise SD quality video via the iOS app (I assume you'll get HD where appropriate via computer or set-top box), regardless of whether or not you're getting the free data use from AT&T. Pretty good for mobile, though, from my limited testing.

Reactions: FJB

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/directv-now/id1136238277
[doublepost=1480525342][/doublepost]I've been using the service all day and I'm blown away with how smooth it's been running. The quality is fantastic and noticeably better coming from Sling. I jumped on the free Apple TV offer with 3 month prepayment too.
Thanks for the URL! It worked great from my iPhone.

The "Start Watching Now" link that you get after you register from an iOS device was taking me to the App Store on my iPhone and saying that the app wasn't available in the U.S. store yet.

I, too, jumped on this deal and prepaid to get the Apple TV. Quality has been phenomenal so far. Hope it keeps up as more and more people try the service out and subscribe. The best part so far for me is that I can stream from my desktop in Chrome without having to install any special plugins. I am also a DirecTV customer and when I tried to watch content on my desktop in Chrome, it forced me to download a plugin that never actually worked despite me trying to re-download the plugin multiple times over the past several months. I finally just gave up and watched through the DirecTV app on my phone. Now, thanks to DirecTV Now, I can watch on either my desktop or phone and the cost (if it continues to work well and I keep it) will be about 1/3 the cost of what we're currently paying for DirecTV and we get some additional channels that we don't get through our current DirecTV package. Love it!

cjgrif

macrumors member
Oct 25, 2011
Salisbury, MD
It must not be indexed for search yet...if you search for AT&T in the app store, click on myAT&T or some other app by AT&T Services, Inc. you can see their other apps of which DIRECTV NOW is at the bottom of list for me anyway.

I also signed up to get the free Apple TV. I've been using Sling TV which has been okay with some annoying freezing from time to time. Hopefully Directv Now doesn't have the same issues.

Reactions: nightowl

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013
BTW, for those who jump in to the 3-month pre-pay (like myself), they give you the 7 day free trial plus your 3 months, so today's signups won't be billed again until March 7.

Dwight1989

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2016
They need to fix the Native DirecTv app,I load a channel after a minute its goes away yet I can hear audio? Talk about buggy.

Reactions: FJB

dylanlive

macrumors member
Mar 7, 2012
San Francisco, Calif.
Someone tell me -- if I subscribe to this, does it give me the "Single Sign On" I need to make other channels on the AppleTV (Disney XD, FX Now, etc.) work (i.e., watch all content, not just a few free shows)?
According to DirecTV, yes. I haven't had a chance to try it yet though.

https://help.directvnow.com/hc/en-us/articles/215395423-Can-I-use-my-DIRECTV-NOW-account-to-sign-in-to-network-sites-and-apps-

EDIT: My apologies, you were talking about Apple's SSO. That I'm not sure.

co.ag.2005

macrumors 68020
Jun 17, 2009
Fort Worth, TX
https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/directv-now/id1136238277
[doublepost=1480525342][/doublepost]I've been using the service all day and I'm blown away with how smooth it's been running. The quality is fantastic and noticeably better coming from Sling. I jumped on the free Apple TV offer with 3 month prepayment too.
is everything just "live"? Any DVR or VOD options? just Live is a non-starter for me but I'm curious to try this service. Also, are you in a location that you receive the live, local OTA stations?

Lord Hamsa

macrumors 6502a
Jul 16, 2013

MarkNY

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2010
I was concerned about 5.1 sound. I scanned a few channels, and only an episode of Westworld was in 5.1 DD. Better than nothing, but hopefully more channels in the future will have it. I thought picture quality was better than Dish satellite signal.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Looks like movies and tv shows are on demand but no cloud DVR it seems. Hopefully that comes soon then I'll drop the hell out of Comcast TV
AT&T mentioned at their event on Monday that DVR will be coming in 2017, I believe.
[doublepost=1480527589][/doublepost]
is everything just "live"? Any DVR or VOD options? just Live is a non-starter for me but I'm curious to try this service. Also, are you in a location that you receive the live, local OTA stations?
There are a bunch of On Demand movies and TV shows available.

swamplynx

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2016
Anyone know if this app works on the Apple TV with an existing DirecTV (satellite) login? This would be great for those of us that are subscribers, but also have a vacation house.

auero

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2006
I haven't tried every channel, but it appears so far every channel is live and there are on demand options to watch shows on certain networks. DVR is reportedly coming sometime in 2017. And yes, I do receive my local OTA stations. I'm in Central NJ and get NYC local stations.

Reactions: co.ag.2005