Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. M.PaulCezanne macrumors 6502

M.PaulCezanne

Buying is ridiculous anyway. Streaming is the future!

To infinity and beyond!

2. Xavier macrumors 68020

3. J___o___h___n macrumors newbie

Shame on Disney. Milking the kids for all their pennies.

4. WatchFromAfar macrumors 6502a

WatchFromAfar

Seeing as Steve Jobs was Disney's biggest shareholder is this a sign of trouble in paradise?

5. Zenithal macrumors 68040

I wonder what would happen if Disney were to pull all their content from the iTunes store, including all their assets. They're one of the world's largest conglomerates. Anyway, I personally prefer buying or renting from Amazon.

6. thisisnotmyname macrumors 65816

thisisnotmyname

The theaters are already yelling, and are taking a big hit (for various reasons not just these proposals).

7. Mabus51 macrumors 6502

My guess is a lot of this has to do with the free upgrade from HD to 4K. Disney films were already $5 higher than other films. I’m pretty sure Disney wants you to re-purchase a film to gain 4K access.

8. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

I find it hilarious we have so many people crying out at Disney for wanting 25$ instead of 20 yet nobody batted an eye when Apple just raised the prices on all iPhones and the Apple TV.

9. iReality85 macrumors 6502

It should be noted that Disney is planning on launching its own streaming platform probably sometime in 2018. Whether or not it'll be successful as a stand alone service, who knows. But it's been a bone of contention in the industry, as Disney has since removed it movies from Netflix as well. They're also one of the last holdouts on Dolby Vision.

10. jimbobb24 macrumors 6502a

Nice of Apple to automatically upgrade old movies - but all mine are a Disney.

11. MacKai macrumors regular

MacKai

The complaint is that Disney does not discount their older movies like other studios do.

12. gsurf123 macrumors newbie

Reality is that the 4K movies are not worth more to 99.9% of the people on earth as they don't care or won't notice the picture quality difference. The move to 1080P was big and did add value to what we had before that, which was abysmal by any standard. Additionally 4K cannot improve upon the crappy scripts and writing that most movies have.

13. xsistor macrumors newbie

--- Post Merged, Sep 13, 2017 ---
    Recently I Purchased Guardians of the Galaxy 4k to my surprise the digital copy that it came with it,is only in HD if you wanted the 4k version you had to pay another $25 for it which is total BS in Disney's part. My co worker called Vudu thinking it was a mistake Vudu answered that all the 4k blurays only come with the HD digital copy. Total crap.

14. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

You can call DMA now. That code issue has been fixed. DMA will see your redeem and push the 4K to Vudu for you.

15. newdeal macrumors 68020

I gotta be honest, I must be a dinosaur or something but I would rather own a physical copy if I am paying full pop for it, not an iTunes Digital movie

16. craigmak macrumors newbie

So I won't be watching 4K Moana with my kid when I get my new Apple TV?

17. newdeal macrumors 68020

Well with Disney planning its own streaming service and pulling their movies from all other streaming services in a couple of years I can imagine that they aren't really in a rush to play nice with any company offering streaming content

18. MadeMyDay macrumors regular

MadeMyDay

Never expected Disney to act like a Daffy Duck

19. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

No. Only Disney movie that is currently in 4K is Guardians of the Galaxy 2. Next two up are Cars 3 and Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Men Tell No Tales. Disney is just getting into the 4K business.

20. 1applerules1 macrumors regular

21. efp722 macrumors regular

At first I thought it was odd, but like others are saying, Disney just got into the 4K game a few weeks ago. I'm sure they will join in soon enough.

Also, it seems like a lot of users seem to be confused- this is about the iTunes Store selling 4K content, as well as the auto upgrade from HD to 4K with your previous purchases. This has nothing to do with Disney starting it's own streaming service.

22. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

These are all HILARIOUS:

Used "Disney" and "losing" and "lose" in the same sentence.... LOLOLOLOL....

Yeah, like that will happen because they won't let Apple set their pricing - what's next, Apple sets the price for their movie tickets? :eek:

You don't watch Disney cartoons, but you do watch their Sci-Fi and Comic shows... :rolleyes:

iPhone X starting at $999 = okay, Disney 4K not $20 = not okay... :rolleyes:

This...

23. sdwaltz macrumors 6502

Eh who cares, nothing good comes from Disney anyway.

24. Michael Goff macrumors G3

Michael Goff

So you don't like Marvel movies or Star Wars either?

25. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

Yes, in fact it is, believe it or not.

Remember that writers have to cater for all educational/comprehension levels.