Disney Is the Only Major Hollywood Studio Not Backing Apple's Plan to Sell 4K Films at $20

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 13, 2017.

1. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

But every other studios sells their 4k at $29.99 on VUDU/Sonystore/Fandango etc.

Disney is at $24.99. Why are we not calling those studios greedy?

2. Phil in ocala macrumors 6502

Phil in ocala

3. monster620ie macrumors member

4K wont work for me. Got limited AT&T internet service - capped at 1tb a month. 4K will gobble that up.

4. ipponrg macrumors member

People here are forgetting that Apple takes a large cut off sales. It's one of the many big reasons why studios are hesitant in jumping onto the Apple eco system.

Also, there are MORE users globally on the android platform than there are on the apple platform. There is no immediate threat to Disney at the moment if they don't get in bed with Apple.

5. rpe33 macrumors regular

Because as a consumer I will side with the company that's trying to save me money, not overcharge me.

6. ArtOfWarfare macrumors 604

ArtOfWarfare

IDK. 2 adults + 4 kids at a matinee is probably around $40. Skip the "food" (or just bring your own food), factor in the higher quality screen and sound, and I can see theaters being a better deal.

The real place I see this being awesome would be as a company perk. Once a month, screen a movie in a meeting room after work. Could easily see 20+ adults (maybe even some will bring their spouses, kids, friends, etc, depends how big a room is available) all watching together. That would be an amazing deal and perk to offer as a company.

7. ipponrg macrumors member

You are siding with Apple products which are the epitome of overcharging...

8. lowendlinux Contributor

lowendlinux

I'm not sure it's a great call for Disney to try to blaze a trail alone. The catalog is pretty narrow from what I've seen which spells bad streaming and bad individual sales they should be working out deals with everyone and be on every box and on every streaming service.

9. rpat701 macrumors member

Streaming service, hardware and possible a disney store coming soon from Disney themselves. Probably in that progression.

10. LordQ macrumors 68040

LordQ

Good thing I'm not on the Marvel / Star Wars boat.

11. djeeyore25 macrumors regular

djeeyore25

I wonder if this has to do with the Disney Anywhere program that links digital movie purchases to a variety of streaming sites. I've bought Disney movies on sale at Vudu that also show up in my iTunes account. I can't really demand that those get upgraded to 4K if I didn't buy them through iTunes.

12. cardfan macrumors 65816

Have to agree there. Imagine if Best Buy told Apple but we promised iphone wouldn't go above 699..sorry. At the same time this is great for everyone as Apple is a big market influence. Hopefully we see a massive push to 4k hdr content now.

13. pat500000 macrumors 603

pat500000

I wonder if the next update of apple watch would eliminate mickey mouse UI or have new mickey mouse ui holding a sign "will work for food."

14. Return Zero macrumors 6502

Return Zero

Part of me is starting to hate Disney. ABC/ESPN and Disney Channel have become politically-correct abominations. They are turning Star Wars into just another money machine like Marvel (with pretty good movies, but I fear they will get worse over time). They do stuff like this, where Apple is doing something very respectable and surely still quite profitable, but Disney thumbs their nose regardless. As a side note, I'm actually glad they are taking their stuff off Netflix, but only because I also hate what Netflix has become and I want them to fail.

The online community was so naive to think that "cord cutting" could ever be beneficial to consumers. Every time a major industry shift happens, the media conglomerates are guaranteed to win in the long run. As long as we are addicted to their content, they will continue to profit off us hand over fist.

15. cube macrumors G5

If you want to see a movie immediately after release, just go to the cinema. Otherwise, waiting a month for the disc is nothing.

16. GizmoDVD macrumors 65816

That's such a silly example. I can go through any studios catalog and complain about the prices.

17. Starfyre macrumors 68000

Starfyre

This I am pretty sure if Steve Jobs were around, this would not be an issue given all of his contributions.

18. Cronowerx macrumors member

This news doesn't bother me one bit. I have unlimited internet and I steal all of my 4K content of torrents!

19. jlseattle macrumors 6502

jlseattle

Disney is lucky they produce good content. It sucks they don't offer 4k for $20 but it is in alignment with their view of their premium content. They restrict access to movies like Lion King for years to build up demand. They will pull movies for 10+ years and make unavailable so they can make more $$ when they produce. So it would make sense they want more money for 4k. They are selling privilege to access their content. Luckily I don't have a 4k tv so can't really use. :)

20. a.gomez macrumors 6502a

a.gomez

Because Disney does not need to care. Nobody is not getting StarWars/Marvel movie @4K because of a 5 dollar difference or not on an Apple device. They will just buy it where it is at.

21. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

If theaters want me to go, don't change $5 for a skinny water bottle

22. mhilferty108 macrumors newbie

This is a great question. Any one have an answer?

23. jetjaguar macrumors 68030

jetjaguar

That’s how they make money tho

24. Gherkin macrumors 6502

IMO even $20 is pushing it as too much. If Disney is holding out because they want to price higher than LOL.

25. netnothing macrumors 68040

netnothing

The way I read this is that Apple basically went to the studios and said (strongly demanded)......we have two buying options in iTunes: SD and HD. We aren't adding a 3rd option (4K) at a different price. We want to just give people the 4K stream in the HD option (much like how they currently have 720p and 1080p in that HD option). That's means we have to keep prices the same as they are today - can't raise a 1080p stream to $25.00.

So all the studios but Disney finally agreed (gave in).

So I'm guessing when you go to buy a movie, you'll still just see the SD and HD options.....and the HD option will include 4K if it's available?

Maybe?!?

Who knows about code redeems.