Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
So let's work this all out..... (Based on UK prices per month)

• Sky Subscription (Entertainment / Sports / Movies / Kids / HD / Non-portable Netflix subscription) - £78
  • Netflix 4K service - £9.99 (based on my Apple subscription)
  • Amazon Prime - £7.99
  • Disney - ~£6.99
  • Total cost: £102.97 or £1,235.64 per year, (or £3.34 per day!!!)
When you finally put it all together and put it into context, it's shocking how much these services cost. People are bonkers paying this to watch content when there is so much OTA content available, (at least in the UK). You then have to add Apple Music or Spotify, news and magazine subscriptions and more on top.

Based on a combined average salary in the UK of £29,000 (£23,258 after tax), some people spend over 5.3% of their salary to watch programs on TV. That's just insanity.

The reality is Sky is the biggest waste of money. I cancelled that 3 years ago and never looked back. I now use just Netflix and Amazon Prime (since it comes with my Prime subscription which I use for deliveries). YouTube Kids and CBeebies are just fine for my son!

I think people need to consider do they need this content and can they even benefit from it all these subscription services.

I also think diluting all this content into multiple services is simply ending up costing the consumer more, reducing content and reducing the quality of service.

It's no wonder why online piracy is so rife.
[doublepost=1555055234][/doublepost]
I don't think one childrens' entertainment channel will kill Netfilx.

Parents need to stop dumping their children in front of a TV to entertainment them.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
Sky is the biggest number in your calculation, by a huge factor

Assuming a decent broadband speed, I’m not sure why anyone would get Sky now.
If you’re that desperate for the sports or specific TV, then the NOW TV app is an easy way to get it, and pay for just what you want, and as long as you need.

Otherwise, Netflix, and maybe Amazon Prime, urgently provide an immense resource of TV and movies. Plus the associated Prime benefits of Amazon. For a total of under £200 a year.

AustinIllini

macrumors G5
Oct 20, 2011
Austin, TX
Up there! At the top of the article! Is it a Netflix? Is it a Hulu? No, it's…

View attachment 831712
Except it's Disney, who are literally the largest content provider in the world. Netflix and Hulu would be "just another streaming service" next to Disney+
[doublepost=1555055435][/doublepost]

• Sky Subscription (Entertainment / Sports / Movies / Kids / HD / Non-portable Netflix subscription) - £78
  • Amazon Prime - £7.99
  • Disney - ~£6.99
When you finally put it all together and put it into context, it's shocking how much these services cost. People are bonkers paying this to watch content when there is so much OTA content available, (at least in the UK). You then have to add Apple Music or Spotify, news and magazine subscriptions and more on top.

Based on a combined average salary in the UK of £29,000 (£23,258 after tax), some people spend over 5.3% of their salary to watch programs on TV. That's just insanity.

The reality is Sky is the biggest waste of money. I cancelled that 3 years ago and never looked back. I now use just Netflix and Amazon Prime (since it comes with my Prime subscription which I use for deliveries). YouTube Kids and CBeebies are just fine for my son!

I think people need to consider do they need this content and can they even benefit from it all these subscription services.

I also think diluting all this content into multiple services is simply ending up costing the consumer more, reducing content and reducing the quality of service.

Parents need to stop dumping their children in front of a TV to entertainment them.
Don't use them. Plain and simple

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009

• Amazon Prime - £7.99
  • Disney - ~£6.99

Exactly why I think Hulu could shake up the market massively if they came to the UK.

The other alternative is to buy seasons through iTunes etc of the shows you actually watch

Reactions: beanbaguk

JamesMay82

macrumors 65816
Oct 12, 2009

• Amazon Prime - £7.99
  • Disney - ~£6.99

I agree when you add it all up it’s crazy money. The key thing in the UK is what people pay for sky!

I have Netflix and I just buy seasons passes for the other shows I watch which I find way cheaper..

I’m 35 so have a decent collection of cds/digitally purchased movies over the year which Probably spent a fair bit on. For me abandoning that and moving to streaming seems wasteful. But for a young person just starting out streaming is easy and affordable.

I also do t listen to much new music, I buy 1 or 2 albums a year so paying for Apple Music is me paying to listen to music I already own

beanbaguk

macrumors 65816
Mar 19, 2014
Europe
Sky is the biggest number in your calculation, by a huge factor

Assuming a decent broadband speed, I’m not sure why anyone would get Sky now.
If you’re that desperate for the sports or specific TV, then the NOW TV app is an easy way to get it, and pay for just what you want, and as long as you need.

Otherwise, Netflix, and maybe Amazon Prime, urgently provide an immense resource of TV and movies. Plus the associated Prime benefits of Amazon. For a total of under £200 a year.

I agree it does, but according to recent numbers (https://www.barb.co.uk/tv-landscape-reports/tracker-uk-households-by-tv-platform/), 8.56m people subscribe to Sky.

With 27m households, (https://www.statista.com/statistics/269969/number-of-tv-households-in-the-uk/), they hold a 31% share of the market so the number I quoted was very relevant.

I agree there are cheaper ways to obtain content. Like I said, I pay for Netflix and Prime, plus I also have Apple Music AND Spotify which I resent. (I prefer the audio quality of Apple Music, but the wife prefers Spotify as a whole), so it is possible to get a cheaper package, but people pay this amount of money, and we're not talking a small percentage.

I think what I'm trying to say is all these "low-cost" subscriptions mask a combined monthly and more importantly, yearly cost to the consumer. Very few companies show the yearly cost of something. Monthly quantities always look so much nicer from a marketing perspective. Daily costs are very real so unless they can make it look like "the cost of a cheap cup of coffee", or something insignificantly, they keep that quiet too.
[doublepost=1555057621][/doublepost]
Except it's Disney, who are literally the largest content provider in the world. Netflix and Hulu would be "just another streaming service" next to Disney+
[doublepost=1555055435][/doublepost]
Don't use them. Plain and simple

I certainly don't use Sky, but you're missing the point on what I'm trying to say. Too many subscription services will over-saturate the market and diminish the content quality for consumers.

There is nothing positive about this Disney service. We are better off with them teaming up with an established provider like Netflix, Hulu or Amazon Prime to bring us content.

Plus how many flipping content apps do I need on my phone!?!?!?!
  • Plex
  • Apple Music
  • Spotify
  • BBC iPlayer
  • Netflix
  • Amazon Video
  • TuneIn Radio
  • Podcasts
  • iPlayer Radio
  • Prime Video
  • Apple News
  • YouTube
  • YouTube Kids
  • BBCSounds
  • iTunes Store
  • Heart Radio
  • TV
And that doesn't include
  • Sky+
  • Sky Go
  • Disney+
It's just all a bit silly.

Last edited:
Reactions: fluamsler

TheFluffyDuck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2012
The made Lando Calrissian a guy who likes to bonk robots (something I really needed to know), and the new character Ray a Mary Sue with no weakness at all. What sort of intersectional rubbish will they inject into Boba Fett instead of story? Perhaps they make him a trans-species, tentacle friendly, BDSM ewok sub? Honestly I am sick of this politics infecting everything.

Reactions: WWPD

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
The made Lando Calrissian a guy who likes to bonk robots (something I really needed to know), and the new character Ray a Mary Sue with no weakness at all. What sort of intersectional rubbish will they inject into Boba Fett instead of story? Perhaps they make him a trans-species, tentacle friendly, BDSM ewok sub? Honestly I am sick of this politics infecting everything.
Slightly off topic

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
No more subscriptions. Enough is enough.
You don’t have to subscribe to any—none at all!

Someone else might want Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, Apple, Disney, HBO, Criterion, Showtime, WarnerMedia, Britbox and Crunchy Roll, plus OTT cable like Sling/YouTubeTV/DirecTV Now.

If there’s a problem with this, I don’t understand what it is.

Reactions: Mendota and Ghost31

Letterb

macrumors newbie
Apr 10, 2017
$6.99 isn't too bad. You can shut off other subs and switch based on your free time.

No Apple TV? weird.

Sure, 6.99. Then the grab a massive market and surprise, surprise, the steadly increase the price to 11.99 within two years. Like Netflix did.

Vjosullivan

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2013
I’m 35 so have a decent collection of cds/digitally purchased movies over the year which Probably spent a fair bit on. For me abandoning that and moving to streaming seems wasteful. But for a young person just starting out streaming is easy and affordable.
I'm some decades older than you and used to by a couple of CDs a month (and before that LPs). I now have a family Spotify subscription shared with my grown up kids (the subscription is shared, the accounts are independent and private) which works out at £5 ($6.50) per month each. So, I'm spending less than ever but accessing more than was possible before. (I still have two spare accounts which would bring the price down to £3/month each.)

Now I have access to pretty much all main stream music on tap and not just the stuff I've bought so far. I can also "browse" through music in a way that's just not possible when limited to your own collection, look for similar artists (their automated comparitor is surprisingly good), try out every cover of a particular song, dig out stuff on a whim ("Sweet/Ballroom Blitz", "Good, Bad, Ugly"soundtrack and the Icelandic top twenty being recent examples).

Today, I would no more switch back to CDs from Spotify than I would from my digital camera to a film camera.

Reactions: Mendota and jmpstar

bumbo

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2009
Cant have a big picture of Boba Fett hiding behind a YASS "Yet Another Streaming Service", and not get commentary.
Agreed - but your commentary wasn't about the fact that it's on "YASS" - it was about the content of the show and how equality and politics has reduced your enjoyment of shows

Reactions: ssgbryan

Smeaton1724

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2011
Leeds, UK
All these subscription models mean devices becoming a dumb terminal for online content, in that regard what will Apple do to get people buying all of the expensive hardware such as Homepods, Apple TV's etc.

The Apple TV 4K 64GB is £199 vs Fire Sticks, Roku boxes, Xbox and PS4. Homepods are £299 and Apple Music only, yet Echo speakers start at £30 and support Apple Music. The iPad Mini 5 is great hardware, but it's £399 - in a form factor segment vs Kindle Fires.

Similar can be said in the future about software, cloud design (creative cloud is used for storing documents, soon enough it will all be cloud based, that to me seems like the natural progression) and gaming services such as Google's Stadia will negate the requirement for local powerful hardware - so what will that do for Apple's hardware sales?

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
When has Apple ever led a segment by beating the competition on price? That’s not how they do business.

Apple is desperate for services income growth and pricing their new services as loss leaders isn’t going to achieve that goal. They charge $9.99 for magazine subscriptions. No chance they’ll price Apple TV+ close to Disney+.
Correct, Apple TV+ won’t be priced anywhere close to Disney—or Netflix for that matter. With a couple dozen originals, I’ve already posted my estimate of $1.99-2.99 per month. Of course, that’s if they’re only going to carry their own content.

However, if they have third party content that people want to watch, sure, they can charge more. But there’s no way Apple is going to price a couple dozen originals at the same price as services that have thousands of shows.

danny842003

macrumors 68000
Jun 6, 2017

• Amazon Prime - £7.99
  • Disney - ~£6.99

Just simply don’t subscribe to them all. I have Netflix ongoing but others I just get when there’s something specific I want to watch. The current system is heaps cheaper than the old way and I also think there’s more good content with different companies creating their own content and wanting to make must watch shows.

Reactions: PickUrPoison
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.