Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
I had hoped for some time now that Apple would buy Disney. With the cash they threw away in stock repurchases they could have bought Disney twice over. When it comes to real entertainment assets, Disney is second to none in my humble opinion.

What makes you think that Disney is cheap and could be bought two times over? Disney just spent 71 billion to buy up Fox.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
How can they make a profit at $6.99? Asking for a friend who owns Disney stock.

Unlike Apple, the goal of Disney is likely to be global reach and eventual profit. Disney never thinks of short term because that's not how you build a loyalty. The $6.99 to reel a family in means the opportunity for them to get them to go to the theme parks, spend money on merchandise, and other opportunity costs including film / broadway shows / etc.

Wildhope

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2017
NY
This honestly seems like a great deal to me. Does this mean all Disney shows will leave hulu/netflix?

Mendota

macrumors 6502a
Jan 9, 2019
Omaha
Ugh. I find the content awful, especially now that all the marvel series are gone. We pretty much only use it for my kid now.

Different strokes for different folks. I don't do comics and I have never seen or will ever watch Marvel movies, but I love many of the things Netflix has produced.

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I predict piracy will become popular again as consumers grow sick and tired of these subscription services
Piracy will always exist regardless, but people value convenience. As long as these services provide ease of use and access, I doubt there will be a sudden spike in piracy. Besides, all of these services provide no contract option, so you can just go in and out whenever you want without having to pay them all the time like cable. Also, ala carte option is still available. You can still just buy individual movies through iTunes.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008

jamesrick80

macrumors 68030
Sep 12, 2014
I will definitely sign up...I agree with the price and the new series plus the marvel movies will be worth it...hoping it's in 4K or HDR with that price......do we even have a forum section dedicated to Services discussions...maybe it should be added since alot of us use tech to utilize Services and many are keeping our devices longer......

Last edited:

TrenttonY

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2012
This confirms Apple TV+ will cost 7 dollars a month.

Apple and Disney who are late to the game, want to portray Netflix as the greedy cable company of the online streaming world.

cardfan

macrumors 601
Mar 23, 2012
Again can Apple TV plus looked any more doomed? Disney has tons of content at 6.99. Apple with much much less has to charge more than that. Good luck. It’s a loser.

Apple isn’t willing to spend what it takes to compete. That’s probably a good thing considering what a bad idea it is to start with.

Reactions: Mendota

symphony

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2016
I’m a Canadian, so Apple TV Channels is yet to become a reality for me.

But, ugh, it irks me that these companies won’t let their services be a part of Apple TV Channels like Netflix and Disney. Everything should just be compiled into one app.

I’m dropping Netflix when Hulu becomes available in Canada. I’ll just be streaming the Netflix’s original content on another website.

jeffreyirwin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
$6.99 isn't too bad. You can shut off other subs and switch based on your free time.

No Apple TV? weird.
There will be an Apple TV app for sure. Whether Disney Plus will go natively into apples tv app is a question I would like answered. I'm thinking nope.
[doublepost=1555039609][/doublepost]
International availability?
International Pricing? Canada?
[doublepost=1555039650][/doublepost]
"but there was no mention of the Apple TV."

Ouch !.. deal breaker for me. I would have got excited if it was Apple TV
Apple TV was on one of the released slides
[doublepost=1555039796][/doublepost]
Piracy will always exist regardless, but people value convenience. As long as these services provide ease of use and access, I doubt there will be a sudden spike in piracy. Besides, all of these services provide no contract option, so you can just go in and out whenever you want without having to pay them all the time like cable. Also, ala carte option is still available. You can still just buy individual movies through iTunes.
In and out will be the new way. No one will remain signed up for all services. We will cycle through

Reactions: haruhiko

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
I didn't know they owned Nat Geo.

That's like Icing on the Cake !

Earlier I said they hit it out of the Park ... I'm gonna correct that to (now) say "it's a Grand Slam" !

Very impressed !

Would NOT be at ALL surprised (now) if AAPL cancels or delays their own video streaming service.

jeffreyirwin

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2017
This really puts Apple in a tough spot for pricing. They don't have 1% of the content that the competition does and Disney is clearly going for the throat in the family-friendly space. Apple can't show up with a few original shows at $9.99 and expect to compete with the huge Disney catalog (for cheaper) and extremely well established Netflix.

I bet most families will hold onto Netflix and add either Disney+ or Apple TV+ since the former has the adult oriented content and the later two are for the whole family. At this point, I can't imagine why a family would pick Apple over Disney.

Apple TV Plus should be Free for iPhone scratch that, iPhone, Ipad, Mac, Apple TV users. 4.99 for everyone else, like those with a TV that will have the Apple TV app built in. If they create 3-5 Hits they will be ok. No one will loose sleep over them, Netflix or Disney. But I see Apple TV plus as a sweetener make it free for iPhone users so that they have another reason to stick around. Maybe entice those who have left, if the content is really high quality

_Refurbished_

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2007
Cord cutting CAN save money, but not if you subscribe to “everything”. Some people can get away with Netflix and Hulu and call it a day. Cord cutting, to me, is more about having a different type of TV service and being able to choose different services a la carte. Unfortunately, it can be messy to get TV like this.

I’m giving internet driven TV another three years before I’d be willing to jump from cable, due to personal needs. I will get this Disney service, though, as there’s nothing like having everything Disney at your disposal for the kiddies for $7 a month.

Reactions: jeffreyirwin

lilrush

macrumors regular
Jan 1, 2008
Cable died because of this model (pay 7-10$ per package). Now streaming services are headed in this direction? Do you want piracy? because this is how you get piracy.

Last edited:
Reactions: fluamsler and Huck

pweicks

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2016
USA
That’s about a third of the price that I was expecting. Wonder how long Disney will keep that price going.

michaelant

macrumors 6502
Apr 8, 2006
The retro art and wordmark for STAR WARS on the screen cap is leading me to make largely unsubstantiated claims that they're finally re-releasing the ORIGINAL Original Star Wars Trilogy!

You know they're not going to, but just think HOW many people would pony up $69 just to be able to see the original, un-f*kd trilogy, on demand in HD? I'd sure be one. (I'm gonna spring for it anyway, though)

EdT

macrumors 68020
Mar 11, 2007
Omaha, NE
Apple’s streaming service is going to have a very hard time making money. Disney has almost 100 years of movies and TV shows for content right now that no one else will be able to show. Classic Disney and Pixar animation, Star Wars, the MCU. Apple should have made a move to get into streaming back when Disney and Apple were more closely aligned and cooperated with each other.

Netflix, Hulu, even HBO may lose subscribers but they actually have current subscribers and established shows. Apple doesn’t.

Reactions: Mendota

Ghost31

macrumors 68040
Jun 9, 2015
I was pretty unimpressed At the idea when it was rumored, but damn. 4K content with the entire catalog plus new originals all for $6 a month? That’s actually not a bad deal. And the fact that on iTunes, I’ve bought all the marvel movies and still can’t watch them in 4K. I’m pretty excited to give this a go. Hope there’s a free trial

plucky duck

macrumors 6502a
Jan 5, 2012
All these subscription based services is basically allowing to consumer to pick and choose what they really want, a la carte, without having to be forced to pay for the basic cable service which many can do without. It lowers costs, increases competition, and provides consumer with better content and better value.

At this price, it's a day one subscription for me personally.

code-m

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2006
Disney will raise the prices slowly like Netflix does. Netflix will push to the point folks will leave.

Until we know the quality of the content announced it is challenging to say. However given the promo price so to speak and Disney’s history for content creation, this is an excellent deal. Will prices go up, possibly or maybe inline with the cost of living index as does everything else.

chewbaka

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2014
You know they're not going to, but just think HOW many people would pony up $69 just to be able to see the original, un-f*kd trilogy, on demand in HD? I'd sure be one. (I'm gonna spring for it anyway, though)

I'd rather spend $100+ on UHD discs. Star Wars streamed would look like pretty bad. Can you say "crushed blacks"? Not that the current home media offerings are particularly good in that regard...

Reactions: michaelant
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.