Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JGIGS

macrumors 68000
Jan 1, 2008
CANADA!
War? LMAO

Disney has a massive library of content.

Apple will have less than a dozen at launch.

If only Steve Jobs didn't sell Pixar to Disney

If Disney does things right, seems like they already are, they should eventually become the king of streaming services.

Like you said they already have a massive library and heavy hitters like marvel and Star Wars.

They will still release content and make money at the box office as well which can financially support content that they make only for their streaming service and their streaming content could also lead to more merch sales. With this they can keep the subscription lower as well. = more subscribers then more expensive services and less subscribers pausing the service because it’s so much more affordable.

Time to buy some Disney stock!

jimbobb24

macrumors 68040
Jun 6, 2005
Sure they are competing on the same way the Patriots are competing with Clemson. Both great but on streaming, in different leagues.
[doublepost=1568428323][/doublepost]
I'd love to see Disney fail because they've destroyed Star Wars, but considering their back catalogue you'd imagine that it's almost impossible.
Several of my friends with kids jumped on the 3 year plan for less than $4 a month. Netflix ... please don’t die.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: hxlover904

mikethemartian

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2017
Melbourne, FL
Jony Ive isn’t on the board?
Generally the board of directors of a company is made up of independent members that are not usually employees of the company. The CEO (vs just being president) though is both an executive officer and a member of the board. Actually since Jony Ive is leaving it probably makes sense to give him Iger’s seat.

Reactions: Veinticinco

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
disneybobigerbloomberg-800x533.jpg

Image via Bloomberg

If this is how he looks when he's visiting the happiest place on earth, I can't imagine what he's like in a corporate board room...

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
Currently enjoying Disney+ in The Netherlands.
What a fantastic streaming service! Almost all Marvel movies are on it (no Endgame yet and no Spiderman) including all Star Wars movies and a huge library of Disney content. New movies (eg. Black Panther) are in 4K and with Atmos sound and it all works without any issues. Disney Originals such Mandolorian are not in yet, they obviously do not want those shows to end up as torrents before the official launch.

Bob is pushing Disney to new heights and it's a pity he had to leave Apple's Board of Directors.
Instead of buying overrated companies such a Beats and Shazam, Apple could have bought Disney.

Reactions: Beyo

Chytin

macrumors regular
Oct 24, 2013
I would not be opposed to Bob Iger taking over as Apple CEO when Tim steps down. He’s been Disney’s most successful CEO to date and he gets Apple in the same way that Steve Jobs did. Iger has announced that he’s stepping away from Disney in 2021. The timeline could work.

I really hope so. Bob Iger is pushing his company forward and if you read more about him and what he means for the people working for the company, then you know he is not just a greedy but a authentic and genuine person. Disney+ with a huge library with quality content (which Apple+ doesn’t have) is priced aggressively. He really could have asked more, it for sure will be more expensive later.

Same qualities can be said to Tim in many ways as well, but pushing the company forward in other areas other than making lots of money, isn’t his thing. Jeff Williams may be the next Apple CEO, but Bob Iger would be a better fit.
For now, Tim isn’t going away anytime soon. There is no other company with the same ethics and focus on quality and his users as Apple so I do not expect he will leave Apple for some other company.
He may so if he ever go into politics, Tim for President :)

PickUrPoison

macrumors G3
Sep 12, 2017
Sunnyvale, CA
I really like Bob Iger. Unlike Google’s Eric Schmitt who remained at Apple while Google was building up an Apple offensive with Android, Iger stepped aside when the conflict of interest became too apparent. TV+ is still a tiny business on Apple’s balance sheet but Iger knows that Disney and Apple will become direct competitors and stepped aside before that happened.

I would not be opposed to Bob Iger taking over as Apple CEO when Tim steps down. He’s been Disney’s most successful CEO to date and he gets Apple in the same way that Steve Jobs did. Iger has announced that he’s stepping away from Disney in 2021. The timeline could work.
I think Iger’s stepping down from Disney in 2021 because he’ll be 70 and probably wants to enjoy some of his millions :) I don’t think he’d be interested in another gig with the time commitment that CEO of Apple would require but who knows?

Last edited:

itsamacthing

macrumors 6502a
Sep 26, 2011
Bangkok
Apple is going to own this space with non-binary, gender neutral, decaf content that does not offend anyone. Yea, good luck with that. I will sign up for Disney+, already have Netflix... but why would I buy into Apple? They couldn't even land Bad Robot because of their greedy tactics

ryanwarsaw

macrumors 68030
Apr 7, 2007
I really like Bob Iger. Unlike Google’s Eric Schmitt who remained at Apple while Google was building up an Apple offensive with Android, Iger stepped aside when the conflict of interest became too apparent. TV+ is still a tiny business on Apple’s balance sheet but Iger knows that Disney and Apple will become direct competitors and stepped aside before that happened.

I recently bought some Disney shares after Bob Iger said the streaming biz was "the most important thing ever" for Disney. My quote might not be exact but when a guy like Iger says something like that I listen.
[doublepost=1568471591][/doublepost]
I think Iger’s stepping down from Disney in 2021 because he’ll be 70 and probably wants to enjoy some of his millions :) I don’t think he’d be interested in another gig with the time commitment m that CEO of Apple would bring but who knows?

I think the streaming thing is his last hoorah at Disney. He will steer the ship for that and after it is massively successful he can step aside as his work is done. Not saying he couldn't do more but as you said he is 70 years old and has been one of the top CEO on the planet.

Regbial

macrumors 6502a
Jul 10, 2010
Wow that picture... really makes Disney and the Disney castle look ominous.. O_O

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I am not convinced that Apple and Disney are competitors, given that TV+ is a small segment of Apple’s business, and both are (still) cheap enough that I can see many people opting to subscribe to both.

Iger likely stepped down to avoid any potential conflicts of interest, but I don’t think this is Google 2.0. Given that his streaming channel is going to focus largely on Star Wars and Marvel content, there doesn’t seem like there is much he can copy from Apple’s own content portfolio (or vice versa).

There is likely still a lot that Apple can do to collaborate with Disney. In the very least, I expect Disney to support the TV app far better than Netflix ever did.

I think people are simply reading too much into nothing.

ipponrg

macrumors 68020
Oct 15, 2008
I am not convinced that Apple and Disney are competitors, given that TV+ is a small segment of Apple’s business, and both are (still) cheap enough that I can see many people opting to subscribe to both.

Iger likely stepped down to avoid any potential conflicts of interest, but I don’t think this is Google 2.0. Given that his streaming channel is going to focus largely on Star Wars and Marvel content, there doesn’t seem like there is much he can copy from Apple’s own content portfolio (or vice versa).

There is likely still a lot that Apple can do to collaborate with Disney. In the very least, I expect Disney to support the TV app far better than Netflix ever did.

I think people are simply reading too much into nothing.

Iger and many others have said this repeatedly over and over. Disney+ is a complement not a competitor. Who knows what is the real meaning of that behind the curtains. I say this because many here naively interpret public statements at face value.

I do think that most people are more likely to adopt either Disney or Apple, but not both. At 4.99 for the limited Apple content, it doesn’t seem as great of a value when you complement it with Netflix.

icanhazmac

Contributor
Apr 11, 2018
 TV+ is definitely not a competitor with Disney+. They're not even in the same league. The only thing they've got in common is streaming. Disney is going to wipe the floor with all the other streaming wannabes.

Hopefully not, some of us don't have kids.

wigby

macrumors 68030
Jun 7, 2007
War? LMAO

Disney has a massive library of content.

Apple will have less than a dozen at launch.

If only Steve Jobs didn't sell Pixar to Disney
If Steve didn't sell Pixar to Disney, they would be a fraction of what they are today. Pixar was the things that brought Disney back from animation failure. It led to the biggest moves they've made over the past 20 years.

travelsheep

macrumors 6502a
May 30, 2013
"and I am forever grateful to have served as a member of the company's board."

"Iger earned a salary of nearly $2.9 million, up from $2.5 million a year ago. He collected options worth $8.3 million and non-equity compensation of $18 million."

I would be so grateful to have served too!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.