DisneyWorld with or without the watch

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by Arquique, Apr 17, 2015.

1. Arquique macrumors newbie

I'm excited for 2 reasons:
    1. I'm taking my family to DisneyWorld, arriving on Saturday April 25th
    2. I pre-ordered a watch (42mm Space Grey Aluminum-black sports band) with expected delivery 24/4-8/5
    In a perfect world, I receive the watch on launch day Friday, customize the face to toe tapping Mickey and take it along on our trip. It would be a total bummer if the package arrived the week I was away. I have the patience, now just need a little luck on my side. If all goes well I'll upload a pic of my watch with the Magic Kingdom castle in the background or better yet next to Mickey himself.

2. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

3. gorkt macrumors 6502

gorkt

Hell, Magicbands are one of the reasons I want the watch. I bet that eventually Disney will have an app for the watch that makes it act like a magicband.

4. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

YAY! A Disney World post. (Yes I'm a Disney Park fanboy, deal with it). I would not bother until they release the My Magic + app for the watch (NFC support, FastPass+ Reservations, etc). If you want to go for it, they accept Apple Pay in the parks anyway, but the bands work even faster and are way more fun!

5. gwynne macrumors 68000

gwynne

I'm curious to see how the watch will behave on my upcoming Disney cruise, where I'll have very limited internet connectivity.

6. Aces2412 macrumors regular

I am in the same boat as they say... headed to Disney Cruise on the 24th and one day at the end in the park. BUT I got the June date so I have no chance. Have fun.

7. zacheryjensen macrumors 6502a

zacheryjensen

Some people believe the long play on Apple Watch is to essentially bring the magic band experience to... everywhere. Tech's surely there. Cooperation though... that seems to undermine these dreams. Just look how hard it is to get all EV Makers to support the same, high power charging standard.

Still, I prefer to be hopeful for such things. It's partly why I use Apple Pay whenever possible, to make sure I'm adding whatever support I can to these sorts of more futuristic approaches to daily life.

8. puckhead193 macrumors G3

puckhead193

I'm not a "Disney person" but those magic bands look cool. Wish I had those when I went as a child.. :p

9. thenumbersrbad macrumors 6502

thenumbersrbad

I'd be curious to hear your experience! We're going on our third Disney cruise at the beginning of 2016, hope I'll have my watch by then :)

10. zea mays macrumors 6502

zea mays

Yes! After using the MagicBand two years ago - I was convinced I needed one for my daily life. This is THE reason I'm buying the Apple Watch. I loved the MagicBand experience!

11. BrettDS, Apr 17, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 17, 2015

BrettDS macrumors 6502a

DisneyWorld with or without the watch

I live in orlando and spend a lot of time at disney. Remember that apple pay works in the parks and at the resorts, so be sure to get that set up too:)

It actually saved my wife the other day. We had split up at the park and she had our kids and went to get food, but realized that her credit cards were in our backpack with me. She had her phone, so she was able to get food with apple pay.

12. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

Careful on Expedition Everest if you don't have a locking band.

13. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

I would be more worried about Rockin Rollercoaster, those Vekoma over the shoulder restraints and bumpy Vekoma trains in the dark spells disaster.

14. LePigeonBleu macrumors 6502

*yet....

it's never too late. seriously, go!

15. backfire103 macrumors member

I'm heading to the World on 5/9 and my watch will be here at the latest by 5/8. Definitely wearing it. I hope the Leather Loop I ordered gets here sooner than later. After trying it on in store I have no worries about it coming undone. It uses some strong magnets.

16. gcooldude86 macrumors 6502

I'll be in Florida (I'm from Ontario, Canada) in September so i'll definitely be wearing mine there with the Mickey watch face. Just too bad I can't use Apple Pay, Canada doesn't support it yet.

17. ozziegn macrumors 6502a

ozziegn

Me and my wife are Disney fanatics by heart. We don't drink and party so going to Disney with our annual passes are our form of partying. We get plenty of usage from our Magic bands.

18. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

IMO leave the watch at home so you can focus on the Disney experience and the magicbands.

19. Qrispy macrumors regular

Qrispy

Oh ****, coaster enthusiast alert!

I think the ultimate test will be wearing a magnetic band on Twisted Colossus when it opens up in a month or two.

20. Steve686 macrumors 68030

Steve686

In a way I hope you don't get it before Disney.

Enjoy your family without distractions. :)

21. Southern Dad macrumors 65816

Southern Dad

I was in the same situation with the iPhone 6 Plus release. It was supposed to be delivered the week prior to my leaving. It arrived the day I got home from Walt Disney World. And I was so looking forward to that upgraded camera.

22. D.T. macrumors 603

D.T.

So funny, we're headed to Universal**, won't get our watches, but it's almost a good thing. I mean, we'd get our new watches, and the next day be at the park - it would just be too distracting :) Plus imagine it gets smashed on the first day of ownership while riding The Hulk or Harry Potter - and we spend a goodly amount of time around/in the pool.

At least I'm telling myself it's a good thing we'll miss our delivery before we leave :D

** Thread here: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1781390

23. Gdgtguru macrumors member

Regarding Apple Pay in the parks, many of the cast members don't realize it actually works. I am in Disney World for work right now and had about a 50% success rate of them not telling me "that doesn't work". The problem is, they actually think it is like the Magic Band and so they press that button which of course fails with :apple:Pay. For the remainder of the trip, I just told the folks who says it doesn't work to just press the button for credit card, not Magic Band and it worked every time.

The retailers really need to do a better job of educating their employees on how to accept different forms of payment.

24. mrcobra92 macrumors 6502

Have found found another enthusiast in the wild? Very true! Some of those drops look almost uncomfortable! (Green track right after the big five element) Though I am beyond excited to see how RMC does with this project as far as how comfortable it is. Wonder if Universal Orlando will force people to take that off as well when getting on rides. (Seeing as they are using metal detectors to scan each guest as they get in line) Overall, I think the watch could bring some very interesting changes to the theme park industry. (Flash Pass comes to mind for six flags)

25. ckiggins macrumors 6502

Heading to WDW on the 14th and a Disney cruise on the 15th. Glad I'm in the 4/28-5/8 camp. Though I wished I had ordered a sport band to go with my classic buckle. Unless they have them in store, I don't think I would be able to get it before leaving.