DisplayMate: iPhone XS Max Has Best Smartphone Display Ever

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 24, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

iPhone XS Max has the best smartphone display ever, according to display testing and calibration firm DisplayMate Technologies.

[​IMG]

iPhone XS Max has a number of notable improvements over the original iPhone X, including higher peak brightness and better color accuracy, and matches or sets smartphone display records in a number of areas, according to Dr. Raymond M. Soneira, President of DisplayMate Technologies.

For example, DisplayMate says the iPhone XS Max has a peak full-screen brightness of up to 660 nits for the sRGB and DCI-P3 color gamuts, which improves screen visibility in high ambient lighting conditions. By comparison, the iPhone X achieved a peak full-screen brightness of 634 nits in its year-ago tests.

DisplayMate measured the iPhone XS Max's screen reflectance to be 4.7 percent, close to the lowest that it has ever measured for a smartphone. As a result of this high brightness and low reflectance, the iPhone XS Max has one of the best contrast ratings in high ambient light on any smartphone it has ever tested.

DisplayMate provides an extensive overview of the iPhone XS Max display, concluding that it is a "very impressive top tier smartphone display."
    Of note, the iPhone XS and iPhone XS Max use the same display technologies.

DisplayMate's iPhone XS Max OLED Display Technology Shoot-Out article is a worthwhile read for anyone looking for comprehensive analysis and testing of the iPhone XS Max display. DisplayMate has been a provider of display calibration software for consumers and technicians since 1991.

Article Link: DisplayMate: iPhone XS Max Has Best Smartphone Display Ever

2. iObama macrumors 6502a

iObama

3. Coconut Bean macrumors member

4. ChrisMoBro macrumors 6502

ChrisMoBro

Until another smartphone is released in a few months...

5. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Fake news it has a piss yellow tint hue and brightness keeps diming using it and auto brightless and true tone night shift is OFF Loads are having this issue

6. imola.zhp macrumors 6502a

imola.zhp

If it doesn't give you a headache to look at it...

7. GuruZac, Sep 24, 2018
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2018

GuruZac macrumors 6502a

GuruZac

And just when I'm content keeping my 7 Plus, more good news on the XS Max comes out :D I keep telling myself I'll wait until next year... let's hope the temptation doesn't win out. Actually, other than deeper blacks and slightly sharper ppi, is the XS Max display remarkably better than the LCD inside the 7 Plus?

8. Mauminator macrumors newbie

9. cmaier macrumors G5

That can't be right. I keep reading on here that everything apple does is horrible, and the Max is nothing but a rip-off money grab.

10. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

The old x is much higher brightness than my xs max i think apple limit it to make batt better

11. alpi123 macrumors 6502a

alpi123

They're literally the same.

12. BigSky20 macrumors regular

That is if you win the display lottery. In night shift, mine is yellow on top (like it should be in night shift) and pink on the bottom. Significant uniformity issue.

I would pay extra if they gave me a display similar to the one they sent to Display Mate to test out!

13. trekkie604 macrumors 68000

trekkie604

The newest one always has the best screen though, lol.

14. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Here come the note 9 fans saying it’s not true :)

15. dan9700 macrumors 68030

dan9700

Same

16. Focusx0131 macrumors member

Focusx0131

This makes me interested to see if the XR really is “the best LCD in the industry.”

People will still complain about it though.

17. farewelwilliams macrumors 68000

goto the apple genius bar. i have no such problem so your iPhone is probably defective

edit:
    i just read your post about Apple replying to you. they're going to fix it. so what's "fake news" about this article? displaymate got a non-defective device. their article is accurate.

18. rulymammoth macrumors regular

Love the Debbie downers in here claiming about massive issues with the screen. Not discounting anyone's problem, but the XS Max screen is probably one of the most beautiful screens I've seen on a smartphone. Yes, I'm an Apple fanboy, but still. :)

19. happyslayer macrumors 6502a

happyslayer

20. puma1552 macrumors 603

pages and pages of macrumors members would disagree with displaymate's findings.

isnt it odd how testers never seem to get a junk display? Sure there are millions and millions of good units, but seems their chances of getting a bad one wouldn't exactly be that low either. you can walk into any store at any time and find poor display units anywhere.

21. fokmik macrumors 68040

both Xs and Xs max has more dynamic range on the displays

22. DeanLubaki macrumors 6502

DeanLubaki

Oh okay, DisplayMate, MacRumors, stop everything. This guy is having an issue so that means everyone must be having that issue and it means DisplayMate lied!

23. BootsWalking macrumors 6502a

Finally, a rationale we can use to drop over $1k on a phone :p

24. decypher44 macrumors 6502

decypher44

25. MauiPa macrumors regular

non-fake news includes info from reliable sources, of which you have provided none. If you are in fact correct, I wonder if there is a quality problem with the LG displays, Samsung has been making them for awhile and they rate well, Apple has used them to great results, but LG is new in the OLED arena. If it is in the Samsung displays, then Samsung would just be evil.......something to think about.