Displays for 13-Inch Retina MacBook Pro Now in Production

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Trying to understand pricing here. On the 15" MBA...

- Replacing the HD with an SSD add $500.
- Adding 4GB of memory adds $100

But the rMBA is only $400 more than than the legacy MBA, meaning upgrading the screen to retina costs -$200.
theres no MBA air with an HD and if i'm not mistaken they all have 4GB of RAM as standard now+

edit:nvm read it wrong

zeiter

macrumors 6502
Jan 19, 2008
Canada
will the components be maxed out like the 15 inch version (lag etc..)...might wait to buy the haswell version?

maccuser

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
I hope it has a dedicated graphics..

I tested the 15 inch retina for a week. The integrated graphics would give u headache while scrolling as it is so slow and sluggish, everything drags especially on Facebook. When integrated was off for better performance, using the dedicated graphics was much better but not as fast as my last yr 13 inch mbp... so unfortunate.

Does anybody know if the current Graphics card in the retina MBP the most powerful one?

Jasoco

macrumors 6502
May 28, 2006
Nice. Though I already have my new 13" Air it'll be just great next year when the Rev. B comes out. Can't wait to see its specs though. Hopefully it's a dedicated GPU as well as the integrated one. Or if not, at least let it be fast enough to not be laggy.

Also hopefully it has the same options as the 15" including the 16GB RAM option and 256GB SSD baseline.

RBR2

macrumors 6502
Jan 12, 2003
Trying to understand pricing here. On the 15" MBA...

- Replacing the HD with an SSD add $500.
- Adding 4GB of memory adds $100

But the rMBA is only $400 more than than the legacy MBA, meaning upgrading the screen to retina costs -$200.
The Retina display may actually cost less than the standard display once production is ramped up. There were several cost saving features incorporated into the display. If "competitively priced", the Retina displays could provide a rather attractive reason for people to switch to an Apple product.

Last edited:

iRobby

macrumors 6502a
Mar 22, 2011
Fort Myers, FL USA
I predict if they offer the same pricing method (with the baseline rMBP price being equal to the upper end standard MBP) the price of this product will be $1,499. That is a price I can work with. one requirement though is that it needs a quad core cpu.
That pricing guide you are using may not work since there won't be any standard (classic) MacBook Pros next year.

maccuser

macrumors regular
Aug 28, 2007
More people than Apple seems to have thought want the smaller form factor (and lighter weight) of the 13" MBP, but want a quad-core processor and discreet graphics processor. If that means slightly shorter battery life, so be it, but the Haswell CPUs are supposed to have a smaller power draw which should at least cancel out the additional power requirement of the quad-core and discreet graphics.

What is unclear to me is whether the article is suggesting that Retina displays will become standard, i.e. the only screens available or whether they will simply be "available" in all models.

I certainly would be very interested in a quad-core/discreet graphics 13" MBP.:)
I hope it has a dedicated graphics..

I tested the 15 inch retina for a week. The integrated graphics would give u headache while scrolling as it is so slow and sluggish, everything drags especially on Facebook. When integrated was off for better performance, using the dedicated graphics was much better but not as fast as my last yr 13 inch mbp... so unfortunate.

Does anybody know if the current Graphics card in the retina MBP the most powerful one?

kegler

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
Get rid of e cd drive....and put in msata ssd and 650m!!!! and its only 1.5kg....take my money now!!!!!

caligomez

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2011
San Juan, PR
REally looking forward to this rumor...

But before buying one, I will have to seriously consider the benchmarks of this laptop vs the 13" MBA ultimate that I was considering before these rumors..

newdeal

macrumors 68020
Oct 21, 2009

Here is the problem for me...sure retina looks nice, I have it on my ipad and don't question its smooth graphics. However given the choice between extra battery life and a better display I would choose battery life every time. Give me the new design, the new battery and the old display (or actually maybe just a res bump to the same display resolution in the macbook air) and I will be very happy

dkersten

macrumors 6502a
Nov 5, 2010
The integrated graphics on my MBA drives my thunderbolt display pretty well so I wonder if Apple will just keep that as the only graphics on the 13in retina or if they can find a way to squeeze a dedicated card in there and keep battery life around 7 hours (real life)

damir00

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2011
The Retina display may actually cost less than than once production is ramped up.
That's kinda what I'm wondering. So either they'll go all flash on the 13" - hey, don't we call that the Air? - or they'll simply replace the existing 13" with the Retina at essentially the same price point.

What other options are there, really?

HalfBlazed

macrumors newbie
Aug 17, 2011
If this is true Apple is going to have to finally move away from using Dual-Core CPU's and integrated graphics in their 13in model. I am of course assuming that they will get rid of Non-retina models in the not to distant future; most likely next year.

There is no way in hell Intel Graphics will be able to push that display and provide a good experience. Hell, the Nvidia 6-Series graphics on the 15in MacBook Pro with Retina display is just barely suffice.

:apple:

Mikey7c8

macrumors regular
Sep 15, 2009
Montreal, Canada
What is unclear to me is whether the article is suggesting that Retina displays will become standard, i.e. the only screens available or whether they will simply be "available" in all models.
Upgrading the air with this is doubtful at this point, the additional graphics horsepower and battery requirement in this generation wouldn't allow it to work out.

Unsure about Quad core in the 13", some of the new low power parts use less juice than dual core parts of not so long ago - so it might actually be possible for once.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
would the required battery even fit into a slimmer rMBP 13 inch? or would they simply use the current mbp with an upgraded retina display.

now that i think about it, if they slim it down, they might as well use the mba for it ^^

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
That pricing guide you are using may not work since there won't be any standard (classic) MacBook Pros next year.
While you are correct and i desperately hope that the price of these retina devices are lowered to the price of the current classic products, i was only referring to the launching price, as in this year.

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
13-inch = ouch

I would have expected the following more realistic.

"Simultaneously supports full native resolution on the built-in display and up to 2560 by 1600 pixels on an external display, both at millions of colors"

But on an internal display, and only on a 13-inch ??... You eyes would hurt,,,,, "just not as much" as the Retina reading text.

Thats comforting to know.

Just want we need. More squinting, plus "thow-away" Macs.

I'll just keep my "upgradable" 15-inch 2.3 :)

Last edited:

chriscrk

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2011
Planet Earth (?)
People who bought the first RMBP must have been quite eager and desperate. Seems much wiser to wait it off, prices are bound to go down a bit in time...

eagandale4114

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2011
I highly doubt that this will get quad core.
Most likely integrated nvida + dual core top of the line i7.

AlPlPlLE

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2012
I'm putting off buying a 15 inch MacBook Pro with retina display until Microsoft updates Office with retina support.

I know, I know…iWork...

But the fact of the matter is Office is still much superior to iWork in my job requires I work with Word documents all day.
So you know the pages app easily opens and exports word documents. ;) lol

Last edited: