Do you agree with Apple charging $9.95 for 2.0 for iPod touch users?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ChrisWilder07, Jun 25, 2008.

?

Do you agree with Apple charging $9.95 for the 2.0 firmware for iPod Touch users?

Poll closed Jul 12, 2008.
  1. Yes... it's a perfect price.

82 vote(s)
    26.4%
  2. Ya... it's ok.

85 vote(s)
    27.3%
  3. I don't really care, i just want 2.0

52 vote(s)
    16.7%
  4. No, i hate it, i wished it was FREE

92 vote(s)
    29.6%
  1. ChrisWilder07 macrumors regular

just a poll....i think it's an interesting question.....i personally think that its perfect because they charged 20 bucks for the Jan Soft Upgrade......anyways....big improvement

2. sushi Moderator emeritus

sushi

Why not?

Apple devoted resources to the project. They should receive some sort of fee in return for those who want to upgrade.

3. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

By law they have to. No, I don't agree with that law.

4. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Apple have to charge something for the upgrades to the iPod touch software. Whatever Apple charge some people are not going to be happy. Even if they sold it for $0.01 everyone will say it should be free.

5. dccorona macrumors 68020

dccorona

iPhone users pay monthly service fees, so their upgrade is provided for free

Touch users do not, so I believe the charge is fair.
    but for people who did not buy the first upgrade, I wonder if they will require that first or if it will be included in 2.0 or if they can run independent of each other?

I also hope Apple will at least provide Touch users with a portion of the 2.0 update for free, that is any bug fixes they may have added. You shouldn't have to pay to fix something that wasn't working the way it was supposed to to begin with

6. Nicholas.C macrumors 6502a

They should charge as they're not on contracts.. They only have it free for iPhone cus they're on contract and have to keep paying... etc

7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's been shown that Apple couldn't care less about AT&T's contracts. Apple markets the iPhone as cheaper than the original because from Apple it is cheaper. Never mind the fact that AT&T charges more and that it will cost more over time for the end-user.

Apple charges for the iPod touch updates because they are required by law to do so. I forget which law it is-it was recently discussed here-but it's fairly recent.

8. Rojo macrumors 65816

Rojo

Good question! I guess we'll know when it comes out -- but I'm going to say they will probably run independant of each other, and the first update won't be a requirement. A lot of people don't need to check mail, etc, but will want to download apps. Apple won't turn away a chance for more revenue from the App Store...

I'm assuming "bug-fix" updates will be free. They'll only charge when there's new features added.

9. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Apple charging for a new version of software for the touch is no different from the likes of Adobe charging for a new version of Photoshop.

10. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I wonder what iPhone owners would be thinking if Apple had provided updates to the iPod touch for free to begin with. Do you think they would think that was fair?

11. bacaramac macrumors 65816

bacaramac

This topic brings up an interesting point. Since the iPhone is no longer revenue sharing on Apple's part (as for the 3G anyways), will they start charing iPhone owners going forward?

I hope not, but I am not familiar with the law that requires Apple to charge for updates.

12. candyman macrumors regular

I would say it is fair, only because it was a one time purchase product with no attached fees or dues. Similar to buying a computer, you need to purchase your software upgrades, such as a new app (Photoshop CS2 > CS3 or your OS) to the newest and latest version. The reason iPhone users get it included is that you are using your hardware with a subscription type service, similar to a web hosting service. You pay monthly (or at longer intervals) and when they upgrade there product, you get it included on your end. That's just how I see it anyway...

13. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

They bought the iPod expecting to play music, not something that can be used to play all sorts of games and things that iPhone users can do.

So my point on his, who cares if they have to pay. If they want it, they pay for it.

14. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

If this is true, then why did Apple sign an exclusivity deal with AT&T? I may be missing something, but cutting off potential customers just doesn't make sense IMHO.

15. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Why does Apple not have support for more than six graphics cards in the Mac Pro? Why does Apple not support OS X on generic computers? To cut down on problems. It's easier to troubleshoot problems in one network than to have your team learn about every network. Just like it's easier to not support every PCI-E GPU in existence.

16. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Good point. I should have realized that, working in tech support in one of my former lives. :D

17. agbot macrumors regular

I know that's how Apple explains it away, but if that's actually the case why has Sony released a boatload of PS3 firmware updates that have added software and hardware support... for free?

18. thefunkymunky macrumors 65816

Doesn't that "law" only apply to mobile communication devices?

19. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

It's not the fact that they pay monthly (though it's more justified that way), it's how they account the devices. AppleTV users don't pay monthly, yet AppleTV 2.0 was free. Apple decided to account the iPhone and AppleTV as something over a span of two years. For whatever reason, they decided to not do that for the iPod Touch. They could have done it, though, if I'm not mistaken.

No, because Apple charged what, $1.99 to enable wireless-n on some of the Macbooks? Or Macbook Pros? Though I guess you could argue that they're mobile communications devices.

20. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

Sarbanes - Oxley...

There, I said it! Flame me! :eek:

21. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

sorry

but if you have xp and want vista...you have to pay

but if you have tiger and want leopard..you have to pay

if you have OS 1 and want OS 2.0..you have to pay?

are you not getting this?

22. agbot macrumors regular

That makes sense, but if that's the case Apple should be straight about it and say it's an upgrade fee, not spin some "well we really don't want to charge you but the Man makes us charge you due to the Law".

23. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

if you dont want to pay..after its out...go search google for another method

sure its illegal..but at least you will be happy getting it free!

24. italiano40 macrumors 65816

italiano40

XP to Vista you get many features
    Tiger to leopard you get 300 new features
    OS1 to OS 2.0 should be free and apple should not nickel and dime us
    for 3 new feature upgrade
    IT SHOULD BE FREE

25. Eric Lewis macrumors 68020

Eric Lewis

from OS 1 to 2 you get allot of stuff

App Store (with 3rd party applications)
    Sideways Calculator
    Bulk Delete Mail
    Video in Portrait
    Bug Fixes..

the list goes on....i dont remember all of them!