Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you agree with Apple charging $9.95 for the 2.0 firmware for iPod Touch users?

• Yes... it's a perfect price.

Votes: 82 26.4%
  • Ya... it's ok.

Votes: 85 27.3%
  • I don't really care, i just want 2.0

Votes: 52 16.7%
  • No, i hate it, i wished it was FREE

Votes: 92 29.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
I'm assuming "bug-fix" updates will be free. They'll only charge when there's new features added.
Correct. Apple has released more than one free iPod touch "bug fix" update.

This topic brings up an interesting point. Since the iPhone is no longer revenue sharing on Apple's part (as for the 3G anyways), will they start charing iPhone owners going forward?
Remember, when they say "subscription model", they're referring to how Apple books the iPhone/iPod touch sales as revenue, not about the revenue sharing with carriers.

I know that's how Apple explains it away, but if that's actually the case why has Sony released a boatload of PS3 firmware updates that have added software and hardware support... for free?
Didn't Microsoft give a free update to all old Zune users for free?
If Sony and Microsoft are recognizing the revenue for the PS3 and Zune over a period of time (like Apple is the iPhone), then there's nothing stopping them from doing free updates (and not having to restate their earnings).

The iPhone isn't involved in all this because Apple announced up front that they were going to be adding new features to the device throughout its lifetime.
Right, and I think they were initially pretty set on not adding any major new functionality to the iPod touch ... until they finally had to address the public uproar that was going on a few months after its launch. They've totally about-faced on the iPod touch since then.

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
This will always happens in the technology world. The early adapters will always pay more for the same service today...:mad:
Not really. If you buy an iPod Touch today, you're not an "early adopter", but you'll have to pay the same fee for the iPod touch 3.0 upgrade later this year (totally assuming that there is such a major upgrade later this year) as the person that bought it on launch day. :confused:

drewsof07

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Ohio
....so theyre supposed to have teams of people spending hundreds + hours on coding, and not make anything off it?:apple:
They spend that much or more on OS updates (10.5.2, 10.5.3) without charging and that includes new features like menu bar transparency, time machine options, etc. And no, I don't think they should do it for free, but as someone proposed before, maybe offer a $10 app store credit for those who pay for 2.0 upfront.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Apple devoted resources to the project. They should receive some sort of fee in return for those who want to upgrade.
That would be true if this wasn't Apple's plan from the start! They have had the tech ready since releasing the Touch, don't be fooled. They release a little at a time and the masses will keep paying for each step along the way. Just like how the masses pay for software that really isn't ready for release. We do the beta testing for the companies for free.

jazz1

Contributor
Aug 19, 2002
Mid-West USA
Just Happy They Are Updating

I've owned the first iPod and several in between it and the IPT. In the early days it was rare you could get any kind of upgrade (via firmware) in functionality when the new models came out. So, I'm thinking, for me at least, that the money is worth paying for the upgrade. I don't feel like I'm being gouged at all.

My friend, who bought hers at the same time I did, feels pretty burned by this and the previous upgrade costs. But I sure seeing her taking advantage of the first upgrade's new features. I guess I'll go first and let her play with my upgraded IPT. Heck she plays games on it already via the WWW. I can't see here resisting long.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
No

No, it has to do with the Sarbanes-Oxley act and Enron. iPhones are counted as a different type of revenue source.

beg_ne

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2003
$10 is fine with me, you get a helluva lot more stuff than the 1.1.4 update which cost twice that!

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I probably won't even upgrade, JB'd 1.1.4 (with Macworld update) for free is good enough for me, given that I will get the iPhone 3G when 2.0 comes out.

mojohanna

macrumors 6502a
Jul 7, 2004
Cleveland
iPhone users pay monthly service fees, so their upgrade is provided for free

Touch users do not, so I believe the charge is fair.
but for people who did not buy the first upgrade, I wonder if they will require that first or if it will be included in 2.0 or if they can run independent of each other?

I also hope Apple will at least provide Touch users with a portion of the 2.0 update for free, that is any bug fixes they may have added. You shouldn't have to pay to fix something that wasn't working the way it was supposed to to begin with

MONTHLY SERVICES FEES HAVE NOTHING TO DO WITH IT. Those fees are ATT's (although shared now, will not be with 3G release). It has everything to do the sales accruals on the iPhone versus the touch.

Apple realizes the sales revenue for the iphone over a two year period of time. (I believe that is the correct time period) The touch is realized immediately. If you go back to the original release of the iphone, this was mentioned many times over. I am pretty sure it was even mentioned in the keynote. The Apple TV is the same way as the iphone.

Stop complaining about the fees. It's $10 for christ sake. You spend $400 on an unnecessary gadget and yet you complain about $10. Just don't eat out for lunch for only 1 day and you have paid for it.

ezekielrage_99

macrumors 68040
Oct 12, 2005
Apple charging for a new version of software for the touch is no different from the likes of Adobe charging for a new version of Photoshop.

I do agree, the Touch is a different animal inside compared to the other iPods but I don't think too many users will see it that way.

For $10 I really don't think it's going to break the bank if it does have some measurable improvements.

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
Why does the law not require that we pay for all the intermediate updates (those other than the January and 2.0 updates)?

Granted, I don't think a $10 charge is unreasonable.

hansvon

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
I've searched for this all over but I can't seem to find a definitive list. So when (and I say when not if lol) I buy the 2.0update, without having bought anything fromthe appstore....what am I getting?

Also, any guesses on what the price ranges will be for some of the apps (say, Supermonkeyball)? And do you think that the ones that are free will be utter crap?

atomheartmother

macrumors regular
Aug 27, 2006
I've searched for this all over but I can't seem to find a definitive list. So when (and I say when not if lol) I buy the 2.0update, without having bought anything fromthe appstore....what am I getting?

Also, any guesses on what the price ranges will be for some of the apps (say, Supermonkeyball)? And do you think that the ones that are free will be utter crap?

Didn't they say Super Monkey Ball would be $10? My guess is that apps will range from $5-10. Maybe more, but not much.

Aside from the App Store, you get a new calculator as well as 802.whatever wifi connection functionality (great for those who have been trying to get on corporate wifi networks, such as university campuses). There are probably other small updates as well.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
To all the whiners...

If you can't afford to spend $9.95 after throwing down $299 plus, you shouldn't have bought the touch in the first place.

AND, if you don't want to pay for the upgrade, DON'T BUY IT. Pretty sure your touch won't cease to work without 2.0.

UltimateSyn

macrumors 601
Mar 3, 2008
Massachusetts
This has nothing to do with my previous post, so I thought it would be better to double-post.

In v2.0, for all you people that don't think $9.95 is justified:

Microsoft Exchange ActiveSync support
Support for Apple's new MobileMe service
Push email
Push contacts
Push calendar
Global Address List
Certificates and Identities
WPA2/802.1x
Enforced security policies
Extra keyboard languages including Chinese and Korean
Cisco IPsec VPN support
Device configuration
Remote wipe
Ability to view PowerPoint attachments
Mass email delete
Mass email move
Bonjour service discovery protocol
Support for SVG
Parental controls
Ability to search contacts
App Store (To manage third-party applications)
New "Calendar" menu in "Settings"
Updated calculator with extra features in portrait mode, a scientific calculator in landscape mode and an updated icon.
Updated iTunes with a new icon and reordered category icons within iTunes application.
Ability to save or open images from websites in Safari
Support for Traditional and Simplified Chinese handwriting recognition

And it mine as well list "Lot's of free cool Apps from the App Store just at launch, and many more to come"

Plus their might be new features in the GM that haven't previously been mentioned. I'm hoping for customizable background of the Home Screen, and I'd really like to be able to switch my dock back to the reflective one :mad:

savanahrose

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2006
greer SC
Why complain about 10 bucks? How much do you spend at Itunes per visit? It isn't like you are being charged 129.00 dollars for the upgrade. How much do you pay for software? I have an iphone but if I had an ipod touch, I dont' think I would be complaining. I can spend that 10 dollars at itunes without blinking.

crmccashin

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2008
Are you all kidding???? If you can't afford $9.99 for an upgrade you have two options. One, DON'T purchase the upgrade and continue to b**ch about the outrageous price of $9.99. Two, toss your IPT in the trash and go buy a cheap knock off that will never be any better than the time you purchased it.
Show of hands...how many of you are still using "Windows 95" or "Windows Me"? No?, Did MS give away "XP"??
I would be willing to bet the ones complaining are the same ones that download music from "free" sites that screw the artist.
You get what you pay for......... unless you steal it!

JMHI

CalmEnvy

macrumors 6502a
Feb 9, 2008
I believe it's fair, I'll be buying it seeing as I won't be getting an iPhone now. Also, does anyone know if you can still get the January update for the iPod touch?

.Andy

macrumors 68030
Jul 18, 2004
The Mergui Archipelago
More than fair. I was happy with the functionality of my touch when I bought it. To have more functions added for a miniscule price compared to a complete new purchase is great with me. It's less than the price of two beers and I'll enjoy my touch a lot longer :).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.