Do you carry your iPad around in a case or naked?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by Theraker007, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Theraker007 macrumors regular

I have always used a case but I feel like I am missing out on the feel and sleek appearance because of it. I've been thinking I'm going to start using it without a case so long as I'm not going anywhere crazy.

Does the iPad back scratch easily if put down on a table or slid on a table at all? It looks kind of fragile to me.

2. leomac08 macrumors 68020

leomac08

I kept my iPad protected from day 1 till roughly this month, it is semi naked, I keep a silicon case around it with no screen protector, no scratches :)

3. blackberrypilot macrumors 6502

4. Blakjack macrumors 68000

Blakjack

Switch between my incase and my apple case. I'm scared to streak.

5. saberahul macrumors 68040

6. filmbuff macrumors 6502a

filmbuff

I had it for about a day when I noticed that my watch was leaving scratches in the aluminum back. That's when I put it in an Otterbox commuter. No screen protector though. If I'm going to stuff it in my backpack I put it in a neoprene sleeve.

7. henry2 macrumors regular

henry2

i keep it in a socalled Cimo soft gel tpu skin case and then it carried around in a sling bag unit for protector

8. Moyank24 macrumors 601

Moyank24

+1

And the position for typing is a lot more comfortable than just holding it naked.

9. Alvi macrumors 65816

Alvi

I use the iPad case because it doesn't make it bulky and I actually just care about the position thingy, if the back scratches, that's it, I don't care about resale value because I won't resell it

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

I use a case, mostly since I'm in a country that doesn't officially have the iPad, and I don't want to advertise to everyone around that I've got one.

11. rhinosrcool macrumors 65816

rhinosrcool

Having a case with a built-in stand makes the ipad a lot easier to use. Not only does it help for typing, but it helps for video viewing, too.

12. Built macrumors 68020

13. iPhoneCollector macrumors 6502a

iPhoneCollector

i use a case. not to protect it but to hide it. if you know what i mean.

14. bid2ask77 macrumors regular

bid2ask77

15. 0815 macrumors 68000

The first couple of weeks I had it nacked .... but I was always afraid that it slips out of my hand while moving around, so I got the Apple case which allows for a good grip.

16. Joined:
    May 30, 2010
    Apple case 99% of the time. Naked the other 1% to clean it.

17. slicecom macrumors 68020

Naked since day 1. Cases ruin the experience IMO.

18. poloponies macrumors 68030

"Ruin the experience"? Hardly.

19. slicecom macrumors 68020

IMO = In My Opinion

Maybe for you, it doesn't.

I appreciate Jonathan Ive's industry leading industrial design and covering it in a case is blasphemous to me. I've also never put a case on any of my iPhones or Macbooks and have never broken one or had them scratched up any more than they get in cases. I find cases actually cause more scratches than they prevent.

There's a reason Apple never uses cases in their commercials, even though they sell official cases themselves it's because their products are beautiful. They're one of the few companies who puts design at the top of their priority list. I realize most people don't care, but I do.

To be clear, when I say case, I mean something you keep it in while using it. I transport my iPad and Macbooks in sleeves, but when using them, they're always naked.

20. nburwell macrumors 68040

nburwell

When I originally purchased my iPad, I didn't intend to put a case on it. Especially since I don't use a case/bumper on my iPhone 4. However, after a day, I decided that I would get one. So I have the Apple case, and it works great since I don't have to worry about the screen accumulating dust when I carry it around.

21. From A Buick 8 macrumors 68040

From A Buick 8

Case that asle acts like a stand, also since day 1. Might try it naked and see what that is like.

22. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

This. I have always had mine naked when in use, but I use a neoprene sleeve made for a netbook to carry it in. I was just given a portfolio type case for Christmas. I put it on the iPad, but only time will tell if it stays there or not.

23. DuckSoup macrumors 6502a

DuckSoup

My iPad and myself are both naked at home, both in leather when not home ;-)

Mike

24. Nukemkb macrumors 6502a

Nukemkb

25. Stealthipad macrumors 68040

Stealthipad

Me too, love their sleeves. I use the EXO model which is bigger and keep black Speck shell on the back as it makes it more easy to hold.

The naked iPad is just not that comfortable to hold onto for me. Plus you can sit you iPad down any where and not worry about it denting the back or scratching.