Do you check your phone at traffic lights?

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Well that was me honking to tell you to move your ass as the light is GREEN. Stop fannying about please.
I do if a text came in or if I need to send one out, but only very shortly, and while checking the light every two seconds or so. Can remember the last time I had to be honked at. I agree thoroughly with your sentiment...my honking has grown tremendously in the last year or two.

Suspended
Jan 18, 2005
Nope. Phone gets put on Do Not Disturb mode after selecting a playlist on the music app.

Reactions: Daria

Huntn

macrumors demi-god
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Frequently, the light turns and the car in front sits for several seconds until I honk. They are messing with their phone. Driving down the road, when a car slows down and speeds up, or are veering towards the edges of their lanes, it could be drinking, but more likely it's PHONE!!! And I'm convinced that that unusually high number of accidents that occur in my planned community where the speed limit is 40-45 mph on the main thoroughfares are due to people driving in traffic, following too close and messing with their phone, so they don't see it when the brake lights come on, it seems like every frick'n day.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
Frequently, the light turns and the car in front sits for several seconds until I honk. They are messing with their phone. Driving down the road, when a car slows down and speeds up, or are veering towards the edges of their lanes, it could be drinking, but more likely it's PHONE!!! And I'm convinced that that unusually high number of accidents that occur in my planned community where the speed limit is 40-45 mph on the main thoroughfares are due to people driving in traffic, following too close and messing with their phone, so they don't see it when the brake lights come on, it seems like every frick'n day.
These are the individuals. They should lose their license and their phone privileges.

sdilley14

macrumors 65816
Feb 8, 2007
Mesa, AZ
I do on occasion. Much, much less frequently than I used to. I used to be pretty bad with texting and driving, checking social media while driving, etc. Terrible, I know. I've broken that habit though. I only check my phone if I'm at a complete stop, and it's only a quick glance. I definitely make sure to keep the stop lights the top priority over my phone - I do NOT want to be the guy holding up the line! If it is a text or something that requires a response of more than a couple words, I wait until I'm at my destination. It's just too much of a hassle and too dangerous to try and drive and send lengthy messages and whatnot.

bradl

macrumors 601
Jun 16, 2008
No. $163 fine here if you're caught doing it at a traffic light or stop sign; $427 if you are caught while the car is in motion.

If the phone or whatever message is so important that you can't concentrate on driving, pull off the road. I'd rather people do that than not pay attention and hit someone.

BL.

dogslobber

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 19, 2014
Apple Campus, Cupertino CA
No. $163 fine here if you're caught doing it at a traffic light or stop sign; $427 if you are caught while the car is in motion.

If the phone or whatever message is so important that you can't concentrate on driving, pull off the road. I'd rather people do that than not pay attention and hit someone.

BL.
I must say that all responders here are very sensible. I guess those I have honked at recently don't subscribe to this forum :)

shinji

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2007
I don't interact with the phone while driving, but I have a car mount so I can see notifications, GPS, etc.

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.