Do you engrave your iPods/iPads?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by fireshot91, Sep 25, 2011.

?

Do you engrave your iPod/iPads?

1. Yes

2 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. No

56 vote(s)
    88.9%
  3. Sometimes

5 vote(s)
    7.9%
  1. fireshot91 macrumors 601

fireshot91

I know that some of you have to engrave them.

And some don't.

Yeah, engraving it kills the resale value, so I'm just curious. Do you engrave your iPods/iPads?

Why or why not?

2. Firestar macrumors 68020

Firestar

I currently don't own one, but I wouldn't engrave any electronic of mine.

3. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

I do some times. I look at it this way. I tend to own these devices for years and by the time I am done with them they would not have any resale value any how. My current iPod touch is 3rd gen 32 gig device. It will be 2 generations old by the end of the next month and chances are I still will be using it in 2 more years.

I am not someone who turns around and replaces devices every year. Hell I tend to use them for 2+ years and at that point they are not worth much in resale any how.

4. mljones99 macrumors regular

5. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

6. wordoflife macrumors 604

wordoflife

No, because I haven't ever bought an iPod from Apple before. They've been from (cheaper) places like Amazon.

My Dad engraved his iPad 2 though, with something personal. I probably wouldn't do that. I'd get something generic on it (such as: I rock, therefore I am) but not my name. I doubt something generic would impact resale value. Now, I'm not one of those people who are super anal about resale value (as in, I won't armor my devices in a tank and only handle it with rubber gloves), but there's just no point. I mean, okay it says my name on it ... then what? :confused:

7. mscriv macrumors 601

mscriv

Nope. I don't see a reason to engrave it. My phone or music player is not a sentimental object it's a tool.

8. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

The only time I've engraved an iPod was when I bought one to donate to a charity auction. I had "Thanks for supporting <charity>!" engraved on the back.

But for my personal use, since I never know if this is a device I will keep forever or sell, I don't engrave anything.

9. applefan289 macrumors 68000

No, I'd rather have an Apple item the way it's supposed to be, with no customized crap.

10. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

No need for any engrave; plus the resale value drop down ... I wouldn't buy an engraved device ...

11. gyorpb macrumors member

Always. If there were such an option, I'd get my Macs engraved, too.

.tsooJ

12. charlesbronsen macrumors 6502a

charlesbronsen

I wouldn't, but my Mum bought me an ipad for my B-day and had it engraved:)
    What a great Mumma I have !!

13. h1r0ll3r macrumors 68040

h1r0ll3r

If there was an option to engrave custom designs/logos on them, then I'd probably be more willing to do it.

14. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

If I was buying one for a non-techie like my Mum or my grandad, I would probably get it engraved, otherwise no because I would like to have the option of selling it in the future.

15. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Never did and probably never will. Given that my iPad and before that iPod had cases, it seems kind of silly to pay for engraving and not see it. Plus it would affect the resale price

16. applefan289 macrumors 68000

You don't have to pay for it.

17. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

Nah, I haven't purchased an iPod since they started the engraving.

18. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

No, personally, I don't engrave my iPods, and never have done so, but I can see situations where it might be a good idea.

Notjustjay has a nice story about engraving an iPod for a charity auction, and charlesbronsen's mama clearly has his best interests at heart for that's a lovely birthday present.

19. tjsdaname macrumors 6502

I had my latest iPod touch engraved. only because I never plan on selling it.

I had my iPod nano stolen a couple years back. I found the kid who did it and the cops would not do anything about it. because there was no "proof" that is was mine... so I got my iPod touch engraved with my last name and racing number.

20. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

No. Engraving reduces resale value and serverly limits rights under the Consumer Protection (Distance Selling) Regulations 2000. Many people in the UK/EU don't realise that!

21. fireshot91 thread starter macrumors 601

fireshot91

And what exactly does that regulation do? :confused:

22. Hey Jude macrumors 6502a

Hey Jude

Once..

My first ever Apple product ever: an iPod. I have engraved iPods that I have purchased as gifts for other people but probably won't ever engrave my personal Apple devices again.

23. iStudentUK macrumors 65816

iStudentUK

If you buy at a distance (eg online, phone, catalogue...) you have the right to return a product within 7 days from delivery for a full refund. It's because you can't inspect it before purchase.

It means if an iPod/iPad comes with, say, a dead pixel there's no need to argue about it, just return it under the Distance Selling Regs. Easy!

The Regs don't apply to customised products, which is why I don't engrave. Also if there Is an out of warranty claim later it's very hard to get anything other than a repair in law, but unengraved you may be able to argue a replacement.

24. Hexiii macrumors 65816

Hexiii

I would engrave just iPod shuffle/nano, the others are too big for the tiny writing :)

25. Obi-Wan Kubrick macrumors regular

I'm really surprised by the lack of interest in engraving. Maybe it's because I don't sell my old stuff. I don't see the appeal of selling something I spent hundreds of dollars on for just a few bucks. This is why I refuse to trade in video games.