Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Do you feel that SE is inferior product to the 6S?

• Total voters

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
Not exactly valid as 5C got watered down processor vs 5S.
It's totally valid.

The 5c was not and was never intended to be the flagship (but it WAS superior in features to the 5). That went to the 5s. The iPhone SE is not and Apple does not intend it to be the flagship iPhone (why does everyone think this new phone was supposed to blow the 6s out of the water?).

Apple, did, however see fit this time around to give the SE a metal casing instead of a "premium" plastic casing. And if you look at the phone as the upgrade to the 5s as I believe Apple intended it to be - it's not an inferior phone.

It's all about your perspective.

C64

macrumors 65816
Sep 3, 2008
It's perfectly fine. The newer one is better, but the original one is good too.
Not liking the one on my iPhone 6. Slow and inaccurate. I can re-train my prints, but after a few days it's somehow loses the speed and accuracy. A real bummer, and makes me think a bit harder.. but probably not a deal-breaker for me. Especially now that 2GB is confirmed; that compensates a lot.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Not liking the one on my iPhone 6. Slow and inaccurate. I can re-train my prints, but after a few days it's somehow loses the speed and accuracy. A real bummer, and makes me think a bit harder.. but probably not a deal-breaker for me. Especially now that 2GB is confirmed; that compensates a lot.
Don't think that's necessarily because it's the 1st generation TouchID as while there have certainly been people with those kinds of issues many more haven't really had those types of issues with it at the same time.

Perry Rhodan

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2015
I think it's a lot of technology and features packed in such a small phone.

I'm not a fan of the 5 design though, I find the sharp angles make the phone uncomfortable to hold unless it's in a case.

Reactions: Jetcat3

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
It's totally valid.

The 5c was not and was never intended to be the flagship (but it WAS superior in features to the 5). That went to the 5s. The iPhone SE is not and Apple does not intend it to be the flagship iPhone (why does everyone think this new phone was supposed to blow the 6s out of the water?).

Apple, did, however see fit this time around to give the SE a metal casing instead of a "premium" plastic casing. And if you look at the phone as the upgrade to the 5s as I believe Apple intended it to be - it's not an inferior phone.

It's all about your perspective.

Interesting point. Arguably in the 5C era Apple could have afforded to launch a sub-par handset. Now more competition is driving a need for a more refined option, they also recognise the need to advance services such as Apple Pay / Music (ensure the handsets are active circulation for longer). The trick is SE can't have everything, but most substance of the current gen product survive in essence with the SE. With the 2GB ram update - I think they've pull off a coup with SE. Will pop into the shop at some point - completely forgot how 5S fit into the hands (used to 6S sized display now).

Last edited:
Reactions: eyoungren

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Maybe it's because I still have a perfectly usable iPhone 5, but I just don't think the SE is worth the upgrade for me, personally. If I wanted the newer processor and features, I'd just get the 6s or wait for the 7. The SE just looks the same as the phone I've had that came out in 2012. It's an almost four year old design.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Maybe it's because I still have a perfectly usable iPhone 5, but I just don't think the SE is worth the upgrade for me, personally. If I wanted the newer processor and features, I'd just get the 6s or wait for the 7. The SE just looks the same as the phone I've had that came out in 2012. It's an almost four year old design.
Nothing wrong with the design, just looks. Internally it's quite new in good part. I guess depends if someone wants a different design just so that it looks different vs. someone liking the design and wanting a faster and more powerful device.

PDFierro

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2009

I get what you are saying, but even me going from the 6 to the SE, it's totally worth it. I get the 4" form factor back that I love, and get an upgraded phone in the process.

KUguardgrl13

macrumors 68020
May 16, 2013
Kansas, USA
Yeah, I'm just not sure I love the 4" form factor enough to upgrade to a new phone that looks effectively the same as my 5. I had gotten to the point of resigning myself to the newer design and size when I next upgrade, and now suddenly they're offering a 4" upgrade that keeps the old design. I honestly expected them to at least change something so that the old cases wouldn't fit or something. It's very unlike Apple to bring out a new device with an old design, at least in terms of iPhone.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
I think Apple are testing the market with reusing the old body of the 5S, if the phone sells really well I can see them updating it next March with a complete redesign (matching the 7).

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK
It's inferior to me because of the screen size and the resolution of the display. All the other features are roughly on par with my 6S plus.
[doublepost=1458720121][/doublepost]
Yeah, when you tried current gen touch id, its hard to go back
Well I still use touch ID 1 on my iPad air 2 and mini 3. It's useable. I think I might notice the difference if I were using an iPhone with touch ID 1 as I unlock my phone hundreds of times a day. My iPads probably not more than 10-15 times in a day.

However if you're coming from a 5S or older you won't notice the difference. If you're willing to give up the resolution and screen real estate of the 6S plus/6s then I don't think you'd care about touch ID being a little slower.

Last edited:

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
If you look at the screen size alone [display doesn't matter in terms of resolution]... then maybe to some.
But for the pricepoint having same internals as the 6S/6S+ literally minus the OIS bit. I think the SE is more capable of selling more. I hAVE A thread outlining it in some detail, it's in this subforum [iPhone] too if anyone wants to comment and have a look... That thread I have put it up for more "detailed" discussion... as I don't want to invade this guys thread

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
It's not inferior. That's the sort of rationale that current iPhone owners are throwing around to justify their need to not purchase one. God knows Apple has them brainwashed into buying the latest model every time it comes out. ;)

Bottom line is that is screen size that is now the limiting factor and not the internals.

The iPhone SE is a perfect product for those of us who prefer smaller mobile phones. My iPhone 4s will be up for retirement in the coming weeks.

Blujelly

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2012
South East England
I'm not interested in SE BUT that being said, just going from the event alone! I feel its a lot of phone for the price!

If I wanted a 4' phone I'd be well pushed towards the SE

xsimplyjosh

macrumors regular
Oct 21, 2015
It's not inferior. That's the sort of rationale that current iPhone owners are throwing around to justify their need to not purchase one. God knows Apple has them brainwashed into buying the latest model every time it comes out. ;)

Bottom line is that is screen size that is now the limiting factor and not the internals.

The iPhone SE is a perfect product for those of us who prefer smaller mobile phones. My iPhone 4s will be up for retirement in the coming weeks.

Agreed, for me even as a 6s Plus user I feel the SE is more valued for money when COMPARED DIRECTLY to a 6S... since 1) battery is same almost with 100mAH difference... 2) resolution is very close to each other ... 1136x640 vs 1334x750 [300k pixels diff]

Reactions: BillyBobBongo

Shanghaichica

macrumors G5
Apr 8, 2013
UK

Agreed. I have no problems with the internals. I just prefer to have a bigger screen. I'm happy that Apple released it because I know there are people out there that like smaller phones.

mariachi4

macrumors member
Aug 11, 2015
It's inferior to me because of the screen size and the resolution of the display. All the other features are roughly on par with my 6S plus.
[doublepost=1458720121][/doublepost]
Well I still use touch ID 1 on my iPad air 2 and mini 3. It's useable. I think I might notice the difference if I were using an iPhone with touch ID 1 as I unlock my phone hundreds of times a day. My iPads probably not more than 10-15 times in a day.

However if you're coming from a 5S or older you won't notice the difference. If you're willing to give up the resolution and screen real estate of the 6S plus/6s then I don't think you'd care about touch ID being a little slower.

I dont have ipad with touch ids, the only touch id v.1 i used was 5s, which was acceptable for that time, now i am using the 6s touch id, which is a feature, along with 3D touch, i can't live without. If i buy the SE i will need to re-sync my pace. But maybe its not that big deal on a smaller device. The flagship specs and reasonable price could make up for it.

konicky

macrumors regular
Mar 20, 2012
I dont have ipad with touch ids, the only touch id v.1 i used was 5s, which was acceptable for that time, now i am using the 6s touch id, which is a feature, along with 3D touch, i can't live without. If i buy the SE i will need to re-sync my pace. But maybe its not that big deal on a smaller device. The flagship specs and reasonable price could make up for it.
is it just the speed which is different or is the new Touch ID more accurate too ?

Tulani

macrumors 68000
Dec 6, 2012
Yeah, I'm just not sure I love the 4" form factor enough to upgrade to a new phone that looks effectively the same as my 5. I had gotten to the point of resigning myself to the newer design and size when I next upgrade, and now suddenly they're offering a 4" upgrade that keeps the old design. I honestly expected them to at least change something so that the old cases wouldn't fit or something. It's very unlike Apple to bring out a new device with an old design, at least in terms of iPhone.

or they could have shaved off the bezels??
something please to make it different from what we already have.
that could have been a greater selling point

Quicklite

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 1, 2011
or they could have shaved off the bezels??
something please to make it different from what we already have.
that could have been a greater selling point

I guess there is a sort of arrogance to this; saying that you could have "most" of 6S's internals - provided it's in an old body.

Qbnkelt

macrumors 65816
Oct 15, 2015
Mid-Atlantic
I guess there is a sort of arrogance to this; saying that you could have "most" of 6S's internals - provided it's in an old body.
Well, for me, the old body is what's making me decide to retire my iPhone 6s Plus and get this one. Some of us are not obsessed with internals.
After getting my 6 I missed this design so much that after several months I looked for a new 5s gold 128GB and I couldn't find it anymore. Then I started looking in silver and even that one wasn't available, not even in 64GB.
So here is my chance to get my favourite design back.
THIS time, I won't let the chance go. I'll get it unlocked and since it's way past time for me to get a new iPad, I'll get an iPad Pro for media. Keep my SE with only music and the rest on the iPad, and get the 256GB configuration. In rose gold, to match my new SE.
Perfect.
So the "old body" will be making me VERY HAPPY. Count me in as one who will get it, not giving one iota about the slighty lower specs.

Reactions: UltraInstinct
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.