Do you have an iPad Compatible Printer?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by KittyKatta, Mar 30, 2011.

1. KittyKatta macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

I love my iPad and around the house it's almost entirely replaced my notebook. But the one thing that still makes me crazy is that I can't print because none of my 5 printers are compatible. I could buy a new printer, but to be honest then I dont print enough to justify the cost and I'm in love with my old Dell Laser printer.

How about everyone else? Are you printing from the iPad or having to run to a computer when you need to print?

2. steadysignal macrumors 6502a

steadysignal

using printopia on an always-on mini and a brother wifi laser printer... works great. you never think you need to print off an ipad or iphone but the more i use them, the more i find i want to print something...

3. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

At Christmas, my wife really wanted a new printer so I went out of my way to find one that was 'AirPrint' compatible... she uses it all the time from her iPhone... and loves it....

Personally I have only used it once with my iPad to test it out when we first hooked the printer up, but if I ever need to print anything it will definitely be convenient.

4. Phil A. Moderator

Phil A.

Staff Member

I'm still using the print enabling hack to share my printer from my iMac (which is always on) and it works great - it wasn't affected by the update to 10.6.7 either

5. Mdifilm macrumors regular

I use an app called printer pro, basically, you use it on the ipad and also install the program on the pc and it can send info via wireless to my computer that has the printer hooked up

6. gr8tfly macrumors 603

gr8tfly

+1 for Printopia running on my MBP. Prints to Mac (PDF), Brother 2040 laser, and Epson 2200. I find I use the print to Mac as PDF most often.

7. melman101 macrumors 68030

8. LightSpeed1 macrumors 6502a

LightSpeed1

Which printer did you end up going with?

9. ninoe99 macrumors newbie

Thanks for the tip!

10. emgoodman macrumors regular

I have the HP Photosmart C410.

When they enabled AirPrint, I decided to trade in my non compatible canon. Staples was offering $50 for a trade in plus there was a sale going on so ended up walking out with a new all in one printer for about $100. I have no regrets. It works without a hitch. Just select print and the iPad always sees the HP and printing starts almost instantly. I am sure they will be enabling more printers as time goes on but for now I would highly recommend an AirPrint eligible printer.

11. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I just picked up an HP with "AirPrint" technology. It was a today's special value item on QVC. Couldn't pass it up for $129 w/ free shipping & easy pay. LOL. I love that I can print from both the iPhone & iPad.

12. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

You guys are lifesavers. I didn't know there were non-jailbreak printing apps. They're both a bit expensive so I'm not sure whether to go for Printopia or Printer Pro yet, but the fact that they exist makes me happy.

Anyone have experience if these will work with airport express?

13. imutter macrumors 6502

imutter

There is an App for that ........
    I use it on iphone and ipad and you can print over 3G too.
    "Print N Share"
    It get's better you can print even over 3G network away from home (WiFi)

14. icecrystal23 macrumors 6502

AirPrint Activator

That's what I use. It enables the built-in AirPrint functionality for any printer shared through your Mac.

15. phyrexia macrumors 6502a

I use the JB program, TruPrint. A recent update included support for my HP LJ 4, ancient though it may be.

16. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

Get ready to feed that beast $

17. KittyKatta thread starter macrumors 6502a

KittyKatta

Bought Printopia. fantastic program because it doesn't require anything other than a preference panel, Just printed a bunch of groupons and it worked perfect.

18. scorpio1973 macrumors 6502a

I'm guessing ink costs are crazy? Oh, well. I don't print all that often (I've actually been without a printer for 6 months), but I wanted something that would be compatible with my iOS devices.

19. AJayAgliolio macrumors member

AJayAgliolio

Got the HP Photosmart Premium all-in-one with the touchscreen display... Pretty solid machine

20. HDJulie macrumors demi-goddess

I have the HP Premium too & like it very much. HP also has an AirPrint one that is on sale for $69.

21. gameboy213 macrumors 6502

gameboy213

Printopia all day

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

22. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

You can print with any printer shared by the Airport Extreme.

23. nicegoogly macrumors regular

nicegoogly

This works great. I have been wondering if any of the printing apps were worth and almost bought it. Watch the video because it has you delete and then re-add your printer so you iPad and iPhone will recognize it. worked awesome first time.

24. iggypod macrumors 6502a

iggypod

Good choice. Works well!

25. OCJeff macrumors regular

HP m1536nf

I have an HP M1536nf and never really thought about printing.

Just tried, and it just works. No configuration.

-J