Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Do you have an iPad Compatible Printer?

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
I love my iPad and around the house it's almost entirely replaced my notebook. But the one thing that still makes me crazy is that I can't print because none of my 5 printers are compatible. I could buy a new printer, but to be honest then I dont print enough to justify the cost and I'm in love with my old Dell Laser printer.

How about everyone else? Are you printing from the iPad or having to run to a computer when you need to print?

steadysignal

macrumors 6502a
Dec 21, 2010
using printopia on an always-on mini and a brother wifi laser printer... works great. you never think you need to print off an ipad or iphone but the more i use them, the more i find i want to print something...

AJayAgliolio

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2009
At Christmas, my wife really wanted a new printer so I went out of my way to find one that was 'AirPrint' compatible... she uses it all the time from her iPhone... and loves it....

Personally I have only used it once with my iPad to test it out when we first hooked the printer up, but if I ever need to print anything it will definitely be convenient.

Phil A.

Staff member
Apr 2, 2006
Shropshire, UK
I'm still using the print enabling hack to share my printer from my iMac (which is always on) and it works great - it wasn't affected by the update to 10.6.7 either

Mdifilm

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2010
Cleveland
I love my iPad and around the house it's almost entirely replaced my notebook. But the one thing that still makes me crazy is that I can't print because none of my 5 printers are compatible. I could buy a new printer, but to be honest then I dont print enough to justify the cost and I'm in love with my old Dell Laser printer.

How about everyone else? Are you printing from the iPad or having to run to a computer when you need to print?

I use an app called printer pro, basically, you use it on the ipad and also install the program on the pc and it can send info via wireless to my computer that has the printer hooked up

gr8tfly

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2006
~119W 34N
+1 for Printopia running on my MBP. Prints to Mac (PDF), Brother 2040 laser, and Epson 2200. I find I use the print to Mac as PDF most often.

LightSpeed1

macrumors 6502a
Jul 13, 2009
Washington D.C.
At Christmas, my wife really wanted a new printer so I went out of my way to find one that was 'AirPrint' compatible... she uses it all the time from her iPhone... and loves it....

Personally I have only used it once with my iPad to test it out when we first hooked the printer up, but if I ever need to print anything it will definitely be convenient.
Which printer did you end up going with?

ninoe99

macrumors newbie
Mar 16, 2011
I use an app called printer pro, basically, you use it on the ipad and also install the program on the pc and it can send info via wireless to my computer that has the printer hooked up

Thanks for the tip!

emgoodman

macrumors regular
Mar 18, 2011
I have the HP Photosmart C410.

When they enabled AirPrint, I decided to trade in my non compatible canon. Staples was offering $50 for a trade in plus there was a sale going on so ended up walking out with a new all in one printer for about $100. I have no regrets. It works without a hitch. Just select print and the iPad always sees the HP and printing starts almost instantly. I am sure they will be enabling more printers as time goes on but for now I would highly recommend an AirPrint eligible printer.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
I just picked up an HP with "AirPrint" technology. It was a today's special value item on QVC. Couldn't pass it up for $129 w/ free shipping & easy pay. LOL. I love that I can print from both the iPhone & iPad.

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
You guys are lifesavers. I didn't know there were non-jailbreak printing apps. They're both a bit expensive so I'm not sure whether to go for Printopia or Printer Pro yet, but the fact that they exist makes me happy.

Anyone have experience if these will work with airport express?

phyrexia

macrumors 6502a
Sep 3, 2010
I use the JB program, TruPrint. A recent update included support for my HP LJ 4, ancient though it may be.

KittyKatta

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 24, 2011
SoCal
Bought Printopia. fantastic program because it doesn't require anything other than a preference panel, Just printed a bunch of groupons and it worked perfect.

scorpio1973

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2009
Get ready to feed that beast $

I'm guessing ink costs are crazy? Oh, well. I don't print all that often (I've actually been without a printer for 6 months), but I wanted something that would be compatible with my iOS devices.

nicegoogly

macrumors regular
Jan 23, 2008
AirPrint Activator

That's what I use. It enables the built-in AirPrint functionality for any printer shared through your Mac.

This works great. I have been wondering if any of the printing apps were worth and almost bought it. Watch the video because it has you delete and then re-add your printer so you iPad and iPhone will recognize it. worked awesome first time.

OCJeff

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2010
HP m1536nf

I have an HP M1536nf and never really thought about printing.

Just tried, and it just works. No configuration.

-J

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.