Do you know anyone with a Zune?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by nbs2, Jun 21, 2007.

1. nbs2 macrumors 68030

nbs2

I mean to post this last month, but I was wondering if, 6 months (now 7) after the much ballyhooed launch, you guys know anybody who actually bought one and still uses it. How has the Zune Music Store (or whatever) grown and developed? Is it living?

I haven't met anybody yet...

2. 66217 Guest

No one thankfully.

But one friend of mine actually said the he likes the Zune more than the iPod. Obviously, he isn't my friend any more.:p

3. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

4. BoyBach macrumors 68040

BoyBach

No. But it hasn't been released in the UK yet.

Does anybody know if Zune will see light of day outside the USA?

5. swiftaw macrumors 603

swiftaw

Another interesting question, when was the last time you saw an ad for a Zune. I certainly haven't seen one on TV for a long time (if ever).

6. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

I don't KNOW anyone but I did see someone one time on a bus that had a brown one. I started chuckling as a walked by but he seemed to be enjoying it so more power to him i guess :p

7. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

I thought "sometime 2007" was the UK release. And I haven't seen a TV ad for it in....well, a long time. If I did see one, it must not have been very memorable.

This is interesting though - I would have expected that MS wouldn't give up on it so quickly. It was as if Christmas came and went and took the Zune with it. Sure it was kind of wierd looking and awkward. But, so was the 1G iPod - it took some time for it to develop. Is it just me or are they giving up on things too quickly?

8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

nope. don't know anyone with one.
    i actually wonder what the sales are like on them.

9. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

Nope, everyone I know has an iPod.

Sales are just over 1 million since launch

10. OllyW Moderator

OllyW

Staff Member

It's coming to the UK at the same time as the iTunes Movie Store :rolleyes:

11. ezzie macrumors 68020

ezzie

i don't know of anyone....all my friends/family just seem to have iPods.

it's funny...i see in the sunday sale adverts that zunes are always on sale. some places have them on sale for $50 off. i've never seen an iPod on sale for more than $10 off. seems like zunes aren't moving as fast as the stores would like. :)

12. it5five macrumors 65816

it5five

I saw an ad on TV about a week ago.

There is someone at my work with one too. We're allowed to listen to music while we work.

13. imac/cheese macrumors 6502a

I don't know anyone who has bought one. I guess brown wasn't quite the "cool retro" color they were hoping for.

14. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

No, Microsoft merely stuffed 1 million Zunes into the retail channel. That doesn't mean they've sold 1 million Zunes to consumers by any stretch.

I assume they do advertise the Zune, but only in a bunch of crappy lifestyle or music magazines targeted towards the younger demographics. Too bad their whole branding campaign is just so inscrutable that it's got little to no traction in the minds of anyone.

I have never seen a Zune in the wild, and I live in the middle of a big city and ride public transit to work most of the time. iPod nanos are far and away the most ubiquitous MP3 players. My 30GB 3G iPod makes me feel OG.

15. erickkoch macrumors 6502a

When my local CompUSA was going closing the Zune's were 30% off and still sitting there, all the iPods were sold out.

16. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

I just saw one in person for the first time a couple days ago, at Target, I think. I do not know anyone that has one.

17. xsedrinam macrumors 601

xsedrinam

"Zune is bustin' out all ov--er..."

Attached Files:

18. notjustjay macrumors 603

notjustjay

Not available in Canada = don't know anyone who has one.

19. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

I have seen a few ads for the Zune, like the This is WHy I Rock Mims ad is on every so often.

The Zune, like a lot of Microsoft businesses are just one part of a bigger piece of the pie. Microsoft is pushing the Zune hard in videogame stores (especially with something like the Halo 3 edition Zune coming out soon) and it doesn't do all that bad. I see people with all kinds of MP3 players around here, including thigns from Dell and Sandisk, although yeah obviously I see more iPods.

I'm sure their is an eventual plan for it, and I remember a few years ago people were spelling nothing but doom for Xbox, and now Xbox 360 is the #1 next-gen console, and sells at a faster rate both games and system wise than their primary competition. Personally I think the Zune is neat, it has some shortcomings but it isn't all that bad.

20. Steve1496 macrumors 6502a

Steve1496

21. nbs2 thread starter macrumors 68030

nbs2

This is the point that I was driving to with my original question. When the XB first came out, there were a lot of naysayers, but MS kept pushing along. When the Zune first came out, there were a lot of naysayers, and MS backed off. It was pretty clear that they weren't going to out-cool the iPod, and yet it seems as if they are banking on word of mouth and low key advertising to generate sales. Clearly they are the multi-billion dollar organization and I'm not. But, I would have exected them to stand up to Apple.

How can the Zune become the next XB when even MS seems to be giving up...

22. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

23. XboxEvolved macrumors regular

Yeah like I said, at places like GameStop, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy I still see displays for the machine, and I still see ads for it in mags and on TV. I don't really know what you're talking about. Microsoft also has a far larger scope of products to advertise than Apple does, they have to try and push Vista, Xbox 360 for the slow summer months, Halo 3 campaign is starting up, and so on.

I mean, you could say that about Zune, I could say that about Apple TV, to me at least, that product seems to be in the same boat as Zune, as not doing all that spectacular at this point, but then again when you have iPhone coming out, it will be over-shadowed easily.

24. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

If Microsoft were as good at creating products people wanted as they are at lies, spin, obfuscation, and good ol' fashioned FUD...

And shame on the SF Comical and the rest of the media for buying the "one million Zunes sold" line without any question.

25. killerrobot macrumors 68020

killerrobot

I met a guy at university that has one. It looked (oddly enough) like a really early version of the iPhone. (Yeah, everyone get mad!!!) It was more rectangular than the iPod, thin, bigger screen. Three main buttons at the bottom. I'm saying, they basically copied the ipod look but with a bigger screen. So if you think it's that ugly, you need to look at the ipod again.

In all honesty, if my battery dies on my iPod I would look into getting one unless the ipod gets radio and wifi in the next gen.
    (I hope I get lots of hate comments for this post for telling my hands on experience:rolleyes: )