Do you leave cellular data on?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by appleuser15, Dec 2, 2015.

1. appleuser15 macrumors member

As title says

Do you leave it on all the time, or only when WiFi is unavailable.

2. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

Yes. I have unlimited data and I pay for it. I am going to use it.

3. posguy99 macrumors 6502

Is there some reason why I wouldn't leave it on all the time? If the phone has a wifi connection, it will use it, if it has a cellular connection, it will use it.

Please don't spout the "wifi assist" paranoia at me, either. If you have a reasonable rationale for turning it off... what is it?

4. Ortiz7983 macrumors 6502

I pay for 15 GB and I still leave it on. Never know when I'm out of wifi range. I really don't care. I'll pay $15 for an extra GB if I go over or hell 2GB.

5. erayser macrumors 65816

erayser

Cellular data is always on for me, and I rarely turn on wifi.

6. Moi Ici macrumors regular

Yes. I get better speeds sometimes on LTE than my home wifi sometimes. Also have 30GB family share and don't even go near that limit. So LTE it is.

7. C DM macrumors Westmere

Both cellular data and WiFi on all the time--the phone uses WiFi when available, and otherwise cellular for data.

8. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

9. mlody macrumors 6502a

wow, it actually never crossed my mind to even think about turning it off.

10. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes unless I somehow am about to go over my data cap, but I have wifi in most places I need internet so I never get close. Also in the past I was on prepaid plans and didn't always pay for data, then I had it off so I wouldn't run through all the money I had on the account. I didn't notice any real difference in battery life using solely wifi vs using a mix of wifi and data so I don't see any good reason to turn it off unless you are out of data for the month and want to avoid overages.

11. XTheLancerX macrumors 68000

XTheLancerX

I used to turn cellular off when I was using wifi and turn cellular back on when I left the house just to save a little battery (I have a kinda blah signal at my house) when I used to be a battery nazi but I don't worry about it anymore. Didn't seem to help much anyway.

12. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

Dude chill, I was just asking a question, I don't even know what "wifi assist" is.

And thanks for the answers. I guess it seems a bit pointless leaving it off.

13. convergent macrumors 68000

convergent

14. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

Does just leaving cellular data 'on' use up any data?

15. einmusiker macrumors 68030

einmusiker

I have unlimited. But I do turn it off sometimes to conserve battery

16. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

When not on WiFi, it can use data. If on WiFi, it can use data, but a very small amount unless you have WiFi Assist turned on and on a poor WiFi network.

17. appleuser15 thread starter macrumors member

Thank you. What exactly is 'wifi assist'?

18. HopefulHumanist macrumors 6502a

I have 6GB a month and I always leave it on. I leave all the features of the phone on since turning them off saves you negligible data/power but seriously undermines the benefits of having an iPhone [or smartphone in general].

I'd never tell anyone else what to do with their phone but I don't really get why anyone would want to turn this stuff off.

It's a feature introduced in iOS 9, where if you're connected to wifi but the signal is poor, your phone will use cell data instead. It changes the symbol in the status bar, so you do know when that happens but some people really disliked the feature. I like the idea but still end up having to to turn off wifi when I'm out and about [especially driving], otherwise, it tries to connect to public networks even though I'm not there long enough to get a good signal lol.

19. I7guy macrumors G5

No, I have unlimited and while vzw just raised my rates :( and I don't "abuse" it, I turn off when home to save battery life, such as it is.

20. cynics macrumors G3

I never turn cellular off, I "technically" have a 2gb plan I try not to exceed and rarely do. Its a business account so my company covers overages without question, I just try not to abuse it.

21. maxsix Suspended

maxsix

22. C DM macrumors Westmere

In which case you basically wouldn't be on WiFi anymore when WiFi assist functionality kicks in and drops you to your cellular connection (due to the WiFi connection being bad).

23. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I never turn off cellular data.
    But if there's decent wifi I connect and use that when available.
    Sometimes if the wifi is too slow or congested I just turn it off and stick with LTE.

24. eyoungren macrumors P6

eyoungren

I would think that being at home you'd be in the one place where battery life doesn't matter. ;)

25. I7guy macrumors G5

True, but turning it off, only takes about 5 seconds.