Do you like MacRumors ?

Discussion in 'Site and Forum Feedback' started by fredsarran, Jul 5, 2008.

?

Do you like MacRumors ?

1. Yes

85.2%
  2. No

7.1%
  3. Maybe

7.7%
  1. fredsarran macrumors 6502

fredsarran

Do you like MacRumors ?

I do. The best I found :).

2. aosman macrumors 6502

Definitely like it. I like the forums more, though! :apple:

3. bandaros macrumors member

4. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Yeah, same here. I originally joined for the rumors, but now have become addicted to the forums and only visit the main page about twice a week.

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

This thread gets my nomination for thread of the month. If we didn't like MR, what would we be doing here? :rolleyes:

6. Mr Skills macrumors 6502a

Mr Skills

I come here to troll. Oops, blew my cover :eek:

7. anti-microsoft macrumors 68000

What does Maybe mean?? I maybe like Macrumors...??? I think sorta would work better there...

8. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

Macrumors itself? I've never actually looked at it. I found my way here via the forums and I don't go anywhere else. So I like the forums at least. :)

9. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

10. McGiord, Jul 5, 2008
    Last edited: Jan 30, 2011

McGiord macrumors 601

McGiord

11. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

It lists their names in the poll ;)
    7031, Compile 'em all, rdowns so far

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

12. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

13. 7031 macrumors 6502

I did. Seriously, I'm a troll and I came here for no real reason whatsoever.

Jks.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

As a mod and relatively long-term member, I probably see things from a different perspective. There is a hell of a lot to like and things that I personally don't like might be (necessarily) hidden from view or just a matter of personal preference. Sometimes the things I don't like are not that easy to fix... and in my idealism, I sometimes forget that.

And because of being a mod, I'm also occasionally restrained from publicly giving opinions on various matters, even though they might just be personal opinions unrelated to MacRumors itself. Sometimes, I just have to take a break from here now and then to free myself from the stuff that many of you don't have to worry about.

However, what I really like is how Arn and the other admins have been pretty good at implementing changes and taking suggestions on board from forum members that have undoubtedly improved the forums over time. The existence of this forum alone — Site and Forum Feedback — shows a willingness to engage with its members and at the very least, helps encourage a dialogue about the things we all like or don't. Not all boards I frequent have this kind of space.

I like that we have a Politics forum; it adds a richness and variety to the board, although it's not an easy place for some. I like the team of people that help run this place and although we may not always see eye to eye, there's certainly a great deal of mutual respect. I like the Demis (contributors) as they also have a vested interest in keeping things running smoothly and are not shy about speaking up if something isn't right. The private forum to which they have access to almost always has something interesting to read or get involved with.

I like that we're kind of tough on stuff that you will see on other forums that can make them less satisfying over the long run; things like pics in sigs, one word posts, preventing all-out flame wars...

I like the community stuff we do, from the various competitions and other regular features, including the London picnic, and I also like that there are some very talented and dedicated people running the ship upstairs and that features such as the live coverage of Apple events comes about through a combination of technical chops and well-planned teamwork... and I like the community. Mac users can be a really interesting bunch of people. :)

15. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Thanks BV for bringing a sense of dignity and purpose to what was seeming to be a pointless thread!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

16. cube macrumors G5

I don't like moderator abuses:
    - Deleting reasonable posts
    - Merging posts (how is the people following the thread going to know there's new info?)

17. skunk macrumors G4

skunk

Agreed. The abuse of moderators is quite intolerable.

18. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

I, on the other hand, appreciate the intervention of the Mods
    I believe their oversight has helped to create the environment we currently enjoy

And yes, I have had posts deleted and threads merged too

But they have a thankless job and take far more abuse than they deserve
    And they are accused of far more abuse than is warranted

Just my opinion

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

19. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

And I must ask what purpose is served by having this a "public" poll?? :confused: :mad:

20. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What some may see as an abuse is often done for very good reason, and those reasons may sometimes not be able to be shared because of time or resource limitations. What some might think is reasonable, may from experience, may not appear so to the moderators... and as frustrating as that might be, they're sometimes done with a view to the larger picture.

Before I became a mod, I occasionally complained about threads or posts that were deleted or other things that mods did without explanation, but having seen the other side of things, there is always a compromise between what an individual's needs are and the larger community. On the whole, I think we're also pretty reasonable about giving consideration about serious complaints, especially if we're approached in the right manner through the Contact Us form.

The other thing is that people often overlook is that we're all volunteers, taking time out from our personal lives to spend time keeping the place tidy and organised for the community, balancing our needs, the site's needs and the expectations of its members... and as pointed out in the forum rules, we're human as well. We get tired, we (occasionally) get ratty, we get bogged down with people who take up our time... but we all have our own senses of humour and if approached reasonably and calmly will sort stuff out for you. We're often busy behind the scenes helping people out with all sorts of matters that will never see the light of day.

Consecutive posts annoy many; they're listed in the Forum Rules as a thing not to do, and we receive a lot of post reports about them. That's why we merge them.

21. MacDawg macrumors P6

MacDawg

Well said BV, well said

On another note, the swiftness of the Mods to deal with spam is greatly appreciated! That is another area that is quite time consuming I am sure. Much of it is never seen by the general population. There are times when it pops up, and I try to report it only to find it has already been handled!

Woof, Woof - Dawg [​IMG]

22. scotty96LSC macrumors 65816

scotty96LSC

The posts are informative for the most part. I like the threads from the community section as well.
    Of course, there are the occassional threads that you have to look to the big :apple: in the sky and wonder, "What the _____?"

23. AppleFan360 macrumors 68020

As an administrator of another couple of very large forums I can echo what BV is saying. It takes a lot of hard work behind the scenes to keep things running smooth. Lots of discussion between staff members take place. Decisions are made carefully.

I do commend this site for being brave enough to allow discussion of politics. On the sites I administrate, we had to do away with talk about politics, religion and sex. The staff was spending more time resolving issues in those forums rather than in our main forums.

MacRumors is a great place and is well run. We should feel lucky a place like this exists.

24. MrSmith macrumors 68040

MrSmith

Being a mod sounds similar to self-flagellation.

25. a104375 macrumors 6502

a104375