Do you live in the state/city/county you were born?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by Hello.there, Jul 8, 2008.

1. Hello.there macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Just curious, how many of you here still live in the state/county/city you were born (whatever the country)?

If you don't, do you ever intend going back to live there?

Where I come from, Ireland, there's generally a ferocious loyalty to the county in which you were born and a desire to return there if you had to leave. Do most of you feel the same way about your own 'home place'?

2. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I live in the same city in which I was born, but I love traveling and seeing the world - I'm definitely a globetrotter. I wouldn't rule out experiencing living in another part of the world at some point in time, but the quality of life here ranks so high that it's hard for me to leave. ;)

3. dmr727 macrumors G3

dmr727

Incidentally I still live in the same state and county, but I don't live in the same city (born in Newport Beach). I haven't lived here the whole time though - I lived in Austin for nine years before moving back.

4. Hello.there thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hello.there

Me too. I kind of envy people who can uproot and start a new life far from home, I often wish I had that courage, but I just prefer to keep home as my base and wander away every so often. :) More than anything I just can't imagine being away from family, that more than anything keeps me where I am.

5. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Yeah, it really depends on the individual, but as much as I like traveling, there is something to be said for having a home, something familiar, to return to. :) The bulk of my friends and family are here, the cost of living is relatively low, the quality of life is superb - I really have no reason to leave. Sometimes the grass isn't always greener... But, as I said above, I definitely wouldn't rule out the opportunity of living somewhere else for a while just for the experience.

6. ErikCLDR macrumors 68000

Born in Manhatten. Lived there until I was 5.

Now I live in Connecticut (currently 17 yrs old)

Probably going to college in Massachusetts. Might move there too since both my parents work there.

I don't know if I'll ever move out of New England/North East.

7. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Yes, born in Toronto (a rarity these days) and still less than 50 miles away.

I have travelled, but the change of the seasons holds me here.

Even though my province is the size of some countries, I don't feel the need to venture forth.

8. thechidz macrumors 68000

thechidz

I was born in a small town in wisconsin. after living in New York City I dont think I can ever return, I could perhaps live in Madison but not my hometown...

9. quigleybc macrumors 68030

quigleybc

Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    no i have lived all over.

I talked to a girl today that had never been outside of West Virginia. Broke my heart.

10. ZiggyPastorius macrumors 68040

ZiggyPastorius

Yep. I live in the very same town I was born in. Moved out of some apartments in this town at the age of 2 after being born in this town, now I'm still in the same house in the same town...yawn.

11. zebraman macrumors member

Born in miami. Raised in dominican republic. currently living in miami again :D

12. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Born and raised in Miami, now I live in Colorado.

13. maestro55 macrumors 68030

maestro55

I am in the same state, different city. I actually never lived in the city I was born in. I was born in West, Texas (A small rural city) grew up in Eddy, Texas (an even smaller city) living in Waco, Texas now (a mid-size city).

14. hayduke macrumors 65816

hayduke

I've lived abroad (NZ) and in 5 cities along the East and West coast of the U.S. (Baltimore, DC, San Diego, Menlo Park/Palo Alto, and L.A.). I lived in the same house until I was 18, traveled about until recently and now live about 5 miles from where I grew up in LA.

15. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

basically, yes. i was technically born in the burbs, although my parents lived in the city and still do. i chose to stay in chicago when i moved out and have enjoyed it. spent four years away in a small town when i was at uni. served me well and made me realize just how much i enjoy the urban life.

16. themadchemist macrumors 68030

themadchemist

I don't--not even the same country! There's no way I'm moving back, but I definitely visit family as often as I can.

17. alexlovesmacs macrumors 6502a

i live in the same state california moved from orange county to riverside county

18. furcalchick macrumors 68020

furcalchick

no and no. city has been in decline for years and literally went down the toilet a few years back. plus, much of the extended family that actually came back there have gone nuts in recent years, so not really in the mood to be near them as much as i used to.

19. Stampyhead macrumors 68020

Stampyhead

That's just sad. WV is such a small state, how hard is it to get on the freeway one day and just keep driving?
    I was born in Canada (Winnipeg), currently live in the U.S. (Kansas City area) and in a few weeks I'm moving to the UK (north London). I'd love to move back to Canada though. Maybe someday...

20. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Yup. I've been around and there's nowhere else in the UK I'd like to live at this moment.
    Wouldn't be opposed to moving abroad though.

21. Dimwhit macrumors 68000

Dimwhit

Born and raised in California. I moved to Idaho when I was 27 years old, and I hope to never leave.

You couldn't pay me enough money to move back to California.

22. foidulus macrumors 6502a

Born near Pittsburgh

but now live in Germany. Doubt I will ever go back to the states, too many SUVs, that and George Bush :p

Doubt I will stay in Germany forever either, just not my cup of tea.

23. joepunk macrumors 68030

joepunk

Still live in the same state and still live in my home city. Would love to live in other countries but will always miss the Seattle area and it's music culture/festivals/venues.

24. gonyr macrumors 6502

Same state, but a totally different area. Although I have lived other places in the past, I'm back here for the foreseeable future.

25. Mitthrawnuruodo Moderator emeritus

Mitthrawnuruodo

I've lived inside this area all my life (7 different locations, within that area, as far as I can remember):

_Skjermbilde 1.jpg

Not planning to move out of it any time soon, either... :)

Thinking about it, I could probably just increase it ever so slightly to the north to include all places I've ever worked or gone to school, too... :D