Do you miss wider Plus screen size

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by lancastor, Nov 4, 2017.

?

Is the X screen size a problem for Plus switchers?

1. Wider Plus is better

54.9%
  2. Taller X is not a problem

45.1%
  1. lancastor macrumors 6502a

Is the iPhone X screen size (taller, rounded edges) a big problem for iPhone Plus switchers?

I prefer the iPhone 8 Plus because I think the screen of the iPhone X is to tall for me.

2. cwilliams706 macrumors regular

cwilliams706

It took some time for my eyes to completely adjust, but I wholeheartedly prefer this size over the Plus models.

3. IconIc215 macrumors 6502

I am one who after a day have not gotten used to it....in my opinion, although the difference is slight, almost feels like a downgrade to me in terms of screen real estate. I think the quality of the screen is better on the X by a small margin but not sure if I will ever overcome these tall narrow screens.

4. YoungHov718 macrumors member

Nope its slightly better i can actually use the device with one hand again.. also reachability works well.

5. djdownhill macrumors regular

djdownhill

I miss it and this is why I'm taking back the X. If the X was as wide as the Plus but didn't have the chin or forehead then I would probably keep the X. I have big hands and the width of the X wasn't working for me. I'm just going to wait until next year to see what's what.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

So far the only issues I have read from the majority, seem to be adjusting to the smaller keyboard on the iPhone X, which the Plus had the wider keyboard for typing.

7. Jinkst macrumors 6502

I don't consider it a problem at all. It was somewhat strange at first given I've been using a 6 Plus for three years, but the narrowing of everything including the keyboard hasn't been an issue at all.

The smaller form factor is great. I didn't have problems with the Plus handset size, in fact I really liked it given the screen real estate, but I can comfortably use the iPhone X one handed top to bottom and the Plus was a stretch to do that.

8. meikdunj macrumors regular

Not missing the heft and two handed operation of the Plus. X is a perfect size.

9. jamin00 macrumors 6502a

jamin00

Having had a 6+ and then a 7+ because I like the big screen sizes I can honestly say I can’t really notice it tbh. It’s such a small difference.

I have big hands so could use the + models one handed but not that comfortably. This is perfect, great screen size and great phone size

10. KmanOz macrumors regular

KmanOz

It's literally has 4mm less width but it's taller than a plus model. It really is an optical illusion though because you are use to a bigger body and because you're holding a smaller body you feel the screen is much smaller but it really isn't.

The plus for me at least is a pain to carry and stick in pockets. This is just right
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    So did I and 1 day later and I'm loving the new layout. When apps are natively designed to use the whole screen they look great. Apps that don't fill the screen now look dated. It's freaky

11. lax28 macrumors 6502

lax28

I like the X, but coming from a plus I do notice and miss the screen size and difference when in landscape mode. Unfortunately, this is more like a bigger 8,than a smaller plus. But I knew that going in. I will be fine/adjust to it and see what next year brings.

12. thomasfxlt58 macrumors regular

While I like the Plus, the size was a result of a lot of wasted space. The X is a good trade off and the display aspect is better for most movies. It’s easier in the hand and the gestures are a more relaxed method of navigation. I’m sure there will be a market for a mega-X but I think this is a pretty well thought out package overall. I miss landscape mode for the homepage (but honestly I didn’t use it that much).

13. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

If you can manage it, reduce the text size. It can make the screen feel bigger.

The pixel density is higher, so it should stay sharp.

14. KmanOz macrumors regular

KmanOz

That's exactly what I'v done

15. Shadowbech macrumors 601

I have both the 8 Plus (iUP) and iPhone X in hand and I can say that I now much prefer the iPhone X size.

16. RedlegsFan macrumors 6502

That is a good suggestion. I’m getting the X soon, moving from 6 plus. This might be a great solution.

17. geraldem macrumors regular

Only thing that is problematic....wallpapers. All of mine are too big now, so they look cut off on my iPhone X. Other than that...

18. Mornnb macrumors newbie

19. jbachandouris macrumors 601

jbachandouris

Not liking the slightly smaller keyboard and the narrower screen.

Have yet to decide if the notch is a deal breaker.

Two buttons to power off is just unnecessary.

20. spooky23 macrumors 6502

spooky23

Pictures above make it look like the X has more screen space but at the same time less. The question should be, what is the comparison of actual usable screen space? Because there isn't that much of a difference. So making the jump to an X probably benefits people that don't like the size of a Plus. And of course, no home button / Face ID and OLED.

21. Gryfter macrumors 6502

Gryfter

I miss it...and Im leaning towards returning my X.

Gonna give it the whole weekend...

22. Ryan1524 macrumors 68000

Ryan1524

^ Maybe, but when would you ever power these off? I only do it maybe once or twice a year.

23. BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I don't really miss it. I will need to get used to a slightly smaller keyboard again.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 4, 2017 ---
    Why not give it 12 days. By then, you will have embraced the notch mindset. :eek:

24. DNichter macrumors G3

DNichter

I’m not losing anything with the X and I like narrow size better. My Plus feels dated and fat.

25. KmanOz macrumors regular

KmanOz

Appreciate your pictures but what you should show is the same app, say PayPal in both formats. Personally after having the X for 1 day and primarily because I use my phone in portrait mode mainly I prefer the longer display. Native X apps look the goods.