Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TBR

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2004
Blackpool - England
Naming Devices

I've always found it strange the way people name there computers, I see nothing wrong with it, I tried it for a while but it just felt strange. I name my devices like this.

iMac Ross
- Macintosh HD
- External Drive
- Lego Drive (It's a Lacie lego drive)

Laptop TBR (tbr is the name I use online)
- Laptop HD
- Darkside HD (Windows Partition... so I named 1 thing :) )

iPod Ross

Mini Me (USB Key Drive... okay 2 things)

Ross W800 (Mobile Phone)

As you can see, I name things as what they are and so that I/people know they are mine.

tekmoe

macrumors 68000
Feb 12, 2005
my 17" pb is called tekbook. my powermac is called tekmac. the 12" pb is my gf's so she gets to name it whatever the hell she wants. oh, and my ipod video is called tekpod.

jmckechnie

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2006
I name everything after philosophers. iPod-iHobbes, 15" MBP-iMachievalli, 12" iBook-iCalvin and my thumb drive is iLocke.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Fast switcher names are:

iMac - iMac G5
MacBook - MacBook

The HD names are

iMac - Juicy G5
MacBook - MacBook HD

I name the externals after what size they are.

Naming them in fast user mode helps me know what's what on a network/chicken of VNC.

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
My HD (and MBP): Nikita
My External HD: Josephine

I'm sure a few here get the reference, but given the low ratings (and eventual cancellation) I doubt too many do. :rolleyes:

My favorite related quote, taken from a review: "It makes the X-Files look like a hug-fest"

How sad we are!

my iMac G5 is called charlotte
my external HD with music RINGOSTARR
my external HD with photo HERBRITTS
my external HD with video EDDWOOD
my ipod: bambu's other little precious (bambu being my other (and capoeira) nickname, and my little precious being my canon 20D)

my old pc laptop is called aquarium for the painting i did on it

bozigle

iancapable

macrumors 6502
Oct 4, 2006
London, United Kingdom
I name my computers after simpsons characters.

Moleman (my firewall box - Celeron 450 (apt name)), Marge (webserver), Grampa (webserver/old pc Should be Abe, but will rename after I sort my network out), Homer (temp machine (was a server) being used until my iMac 24" arrives).

crazycat

macrumors 65816
Dec 5, 2005
I never changed the names of my macs, but i will do with every new one, new installed of os x or after a reinstall.

tuartboy

macrumors 6502a
May 10, 2005
PB - Swatchet
Ubuntu Laptop - Squid
Ubuntu Server - Vanilla
Win 2003 Server - Orange
Win 2003 Server at work - Paris
iPod - Sgt. Giggles
Dell 2405 - Jupiter

Texas04

macrumors 6502a
Jul 2, 2005
Texas
Hmm well at NHI (National Hispanic Institute) not many people had seen Macs before. And one girl saw it and was like wow... can I touch it? (very odd but gave me a few good laughs) :p

And then she went on to call it Manzana (which is the word apple in spanish) so from than on I refer to it, to those who know at least, as Manzana :)

killmoms

macrumors 68040
Jun 23, 2003
Durham, NC
Clearly I do, as indicated in my sig.

I also name my hard drives. Hoshiko (internal), Hisano (external), and Hiroko (external) are the drives I had connected to my PowerBook, Yaseko.

Rakka (OS X) and Reki (Windows) are the names of the two internal partitions in my Mac Pro, Velocity. I'll probably add three more HDs eventually which will obviously be named Kanna, Hikari, and Nemu. My next iPod will be named Kuu. Yay Haibane Renmei!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.