Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I hate to break this to you, but Tetley's IS tea. You may not like it, but that gives you no right to act superior.

If by "Tetley's is Tea" you mean it's made from dried black tea leaves, sure, why not.

It's not about acting superior. Your grocery store has much better tea brands than Tetley's. They aren't even more expensive than Tetley's. Heck, some might even be cheaper than Tetley's.

I recommended 2 to you. Try them and come back here and say "Tetley's just fine".

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
I drink Starbucks on occasion. It's very burnt tasting though.

I've come to the conclusion that all drip-based coffee is the US is a hot, burnt mess. Even when I get Cafeè Americano outside the US, it doesn't taste burnt and it's not so hot that the cup requires an extra cardboard ring.

I still can't figure out the fascination with super high temperatures and burnt tastes in the states.

davidjearly

macrumors 68020
Sep 21, 2006
Glasgow, Scotland
If by "Tetley's is Tea" you mean it's made from dried black tea leaves, sure, why not.

It's not about acting superior. Your grocery store has much better tea brands than Tetley's. They aren't even more expensive than Tetley's. Heck, some might even be cheaper than Tetley's.

I recommended 2 to you. Try them and come back here and say "Tetley's just fine".

1. What don't you understand about this not being fact? It is your opinion only.

2. You are clearly acting superior.

3. I have tried many brands of tea, including the two that you mention and even some teas from regions of Europe you probably haven't tried. That doesn't change the fact that Tetley's is tea, and that I like it.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
If you want to buy 100% Kona for me, I'll grind the beans myself. ;)

They're only 30USD/lb, which doesn't strike me as super expensive. Think about what volume you could get out of that one pound compare to 30USD of K-cups, or whatever they're called. And, I'm sure that the freshly ground stuff tastes much better.

----------

1. What don't you understand about this not being fact? It is your opinion only.

2. You are clearly acting superior.

3. I have tried many brands of tea, including the two that you mention and even some teas from regions of Europe you probably haven't tried. That doesn't change the fact that Tetley's is tea, and that I like it.

He's right actually. I wouldn't be caught dead with Tetley's.

rhett7660

macrumors G5
Jan 9, 2008
Sunny, Southern California
Good lord the amount of snobery in this thread is boiling over..... And you say people who drink Starbucks are snobs...

Who would have thought we would have tea experts, coffee experts and expresso experts all in one thread.

jsolares

macrumors 6502a
Aug 8, 2011
Land of eternal Spring
They're only 30USD/lb, which doesn't strike me as super expensive. Think about what volume you could get out of that one pound compare to 30USD of K-cups, or whatever they're called. And, I'm sure that the freshly ground stuff tastes much better.

----------

He could do what i do, use a reusable filter with the keurig, i like the fact that i can make only one cup of coffee with no mess and not much waiting around, whereas a french press is a bit messy and you have to wait, haven't tried the aero press tho.

I like folgers in the keurig :p, classic roast medium a bit strong.

The coffe from here is very good supposedly (Guatemala) but i don't like it, too acidic. haven't tried much variety tho.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
I drink Starbucks on occasion. It's very burnt tasting though.

I second you on the Kona blend for Keurig. I also really like the Donut Shop and Black Tiger!
It's supposed to be. It's the European style they intentionally try to emulate. French, Italian, Spanish style roasting creates a comparatively smokey flavor, even Starbucks' 'medium' roasts, like the standard Pike Place leans toward the Italian style.

Don't like it? Stay out of premium establishments, your local gas station probably serves something more American with less flavor.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
It's supposed to be. It's the European style they intentionally try to emulate. French, Italian, Spanish style roasting creates a comparatively smokey flavor, even Starbucks' 'medium' roasts, like the standard Pike Place leans toward the Italian style.

lol

i think staying out of starbucks is a much better idea.

if you consider Starbucks premium, I'd hate to see what you consider lousy.

Last edited:

Firestar

macrumors 68020
Sep 30, 2010
221B Baker Street.
He's not right. He's stating that Tetley's isn't tea. It may not be the type he likes, but that doesn't make it fact that Tetley's isn't tea. If davidjearly likes Tetley's, then that's his choice.

Anyways, I don't have a Starbucks Gold Card because I can't really afford to spend $5 a day on a cup of coffee. However, I do get a free birthday drink, which is nice. Whenever I do go there, I get a green tea frappuccino.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
He's not right. He's stating that Tetley's isn't tea. It may not be the type he likes, but that doesn't make it fact that Tetley's isn't tea. If davidjearly likes Tetley's, then that's his choice.

It's like calling a Bud/Miller/Coors, a beer. Sure, it may be a beer in the literal sense of the word, but we all know that it's not really a beer.

GibMcFragger

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2012
Vancity, BC

Don't like it? Stay out of premium establishments, your local gas station probably serves something more American with less flavor.
If "premium" means I have to pay more for coffee that tastes like it was strained through charcoal.....i'll pass. Stronger/burnt doesn't mean better.

There are plenty of premium coffees ouf there that AREN'T Starbucks.
I don't mind Starbucks mochas/lattes/etc, but I can't tolerate their drip coffee.

LostSoul80

macrumors 68020
Jan 25, 2009
The point is that Starbucks' coffee does not taste like real coffee. If you don't get this, it's probably because you don't like its taste, or perhaps have never tried a "real" coffee.

r6girl

Administrator/Project Manager
Staff member
Sep 6, 2003
New England
I have a Starbucks gold card, though I prefer paying with the app on my iPhone, a novelty I never tire of. :p

My favorite drink is a grande, no-water, no-foam chai tea latte. I rarely drink their coffee - I find that it's too bitter/burnt-tasting. If I want coffee instead of tea, I'll go to a Dunkin' Donuts.

rcepek

macrumors newbie
Jan 18, 2012
Cleveland, Ohio
favorite tasty beverage

I find myself to be a simple human being,
My defacto standard goto drink "venti brew with room, bold" my second drink would be a Venti 6 shot americano.

Menel

Suspended
Aug 4, 2011
Some say that Bud/Miller/Coors are to beers what Starbucks is to coffee... :D
But bud and miller are flavor-less beers. Starbucks is full of roasted bean flavor, evidenced by the complaint here of the strong roasted flavor.

It's more like an imported classic English style IPA : beer :: Starbucks : Coffee.

It comes down to whether the person likes the flavor of roasted beans, like it depends on the consumer if they like the flavor of brewed hops.

If not, there's flavor-less options.

charlieroberts

macrumors 6502a
Feb 5, 2007
Reading this thread, I can't help but go back to this picture :

31.jpg

Really, Starbucks just drowns all taste with vast amounts of fat and sugar. It's to the point that why bother with the coffee anyhow ?

Anyway, not a big Starbucks fan, their Tea selection sucks (too commercial) and I'm not a coffee guy. I just buy my own tea and bring it in to work.
Im sorry but anyone who says a tea selection is "too commercial" comes off like a giant D-bag.
You may call a tea selection bad, because of poor quality (And I believe Sbucks has good quality teas, even if they only do have pretty standard selection).

I like starbucks, their coffee is quite good.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
But bud and miller are flavor-less beers. Starbucks is full of roasted bean flavor, evidenced by the complaint here of the strong roasted flavor.

It's more like an imported classic English style IPA : beer :: Starbucks : Coffee.

It comes down to whether the person likes the flavor of roasted beans, like it depends on the consumer if they like the flavor of brewed hops.

If not, there's flavor-less options.

Look, I've gotta say if that the drip-brewed coffee is being sold as "European" roasted, it's kind of a joke. It tastes burnt, not roasted. I think their espresso is OK, not great, but not horrible (like a DD espresso). The espresso containing drinks don't really taste like anything except milk. Why people would want any flavors/whipped cream in their coffee is beyond me.

They have a decent business plan, ranging from no-taste (Lattès) to "European roasted" (burnt drip coffee), but I think it's ridiculous to consider them "high-end" any more than a hopeless person would consider COACH or Michael Kors "high-end." It's all marketing and the quality of the product is actually quite average.

firestarter

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2002
Green and pleasant land
They have a decent business plan, ranging from no-taste (Lattès) to "European roasted" (burnt drip coffee), but I think it's ridiculous to consider them "high-end" any more than a hopeless person would consider COACH or Michael Kors "high-end." It's all marketing and the quality of the product is actually quite average.

You seem to be constructing some sort of straw man. I'm not sure that anyone in this thread has called Starbucks 'high end'.

Credit where credit is due... the US and UK (not sure about Germany) used to have a good coffee culture that all but disappeared. Starbucks has been the main company responsible for bringing that back - and while their own offering isn't 'high end', it's reliably pleasant, and blows away much of what went before.

The public's taste for good coffee has been re-awakened and there are now better shops (and chains) out there that cater for those with different tastes. Without Starbucks, I'm not sure that would have happened... so for that, and for their ability to provide a ubiquitous cup of nice coffee on every high street I give them their props.

acidfast7

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2008
EU
You seem to be constructing some sort of straw man. I'm not sure that anyone in this thread has called Starbucks 'high end'.

[Menel;14179126]It's supposed to be. It's the European style they intentionally try to emulate. French, Italian, Spanish style roasting creates a comparatively smokey flavor, even Starbucks' 'medium' roasts, like the standard Pike Place leans toward the Italian style.

Don't like it? Stay out of premium establishments, your local gas station probably serves something more American with less flavor.]

Credit where credit is due... the US and UK (not sure about Germany) used to have a good coffee culture that all but disappeared. Starbucks has been the main company responsible for bringing that back - and while their own offering isn't 'high end', it's reliably pleasant, and blows away much of what went before.

I'm sorry.

The public's taste for good coffee has been re-awakened and there are now better shops (and chains) out there that cater for those with different tastes. Without Starbucks, I'm not sure that would have happened... so for that, and for their ability to provide a ubiquitous cup of nice coffee on every high street I give them their props.

It's done the same thing that McDonalds did for America.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.