Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

chad.petree

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Feb 2, 2013
Germany
It was the price hike the iPhone 7 received in the UK that stopped me getting it this time. I went from the iPhone 6 to the 6S instead. I really couldn't justify a phone that was considerably more expensive but only marginally better this time around. I'm loving the 6S and the saving too. :)
That's what happened here in Germany , the iPhone was always expensive but it used to be around 700-750 euros but wow 900 overnight ?
:/

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

x34

macrumors 6502a
Oct 19, 2014
That's what happened here in Germany , the iPhone was always expensive but it used to be around 700-750 euros but wow 900 overnight ?
:/

du verwechselst da etwas... iphone 6 or 6s plus was never available for 700-750 eur.

mrex

macrumors 68040
Jul 16, 2014
europe
if you are rich and have to pick between corola and BMW, I know which car you will be driving.

what is the point?

i have a cheap new car (only 20k euros) but i can afford to buy new bmw. but why should i buy bmw when the other car does the same? sure there are differences between the materials etc., but that is a car, and both are safe, tested etc - not a bed and surely not a phone.

and im not yet boldy old guy wearing sunglasses at nights and driving like a douchebag..

i dont see any benefits to throw your money away just because you can. that is stupid.

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I think the luxury car analogy is a bit redundant here as it really doesn't reflect the subject matter here. A brand new BMW is out of reach of a lot of people as not everybody can afford to spend £30k on even the lower spec car. A new Auris (replaced the Corolla in Europe) is £25k. An iPhone on the other hand is obtainable by many walks of life even if they shouldn't really stretch themselves to buy it, but it's more affordable than a luxury car brand.

I could afford the iPhone 7 if I really wanted it, but I didn't want it enough to spend an extra £200 on my contract. When I consider I am doing all the same things on the 6S that I did on my 6, I'd be no better off with the iPhone 7 in both expense or the experience.

Reactions: TrueBlou and mrex

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
I think the luxury car analogy is a bit redundant here as it really doesn't reflect the subject matter here. A brand new BMW is out of reach of a lot of people as not everybody can afford to spend £30k on even the lower spec car. A new Auris (replaced the Corolla in Europe) is £25k. An iPhone on the other hand is obtainable by many walks of life even if they shouldn't really stretch themselves to buy it, but it's more affordable than a luxury car brand.

I could afford the iPhone 7 if I really wanted it, but I didn't want it enough to spend an extra £200 on my contract. When I consider I am doing all the same things on the 6S that I did on my 6, I'd be no better off with the iPhone 7 in both expense or the experience.

Indeed I agree. If comparisons must be drawn they should also reflect the original items attainability in the same manner.

So then. Häagen-Dazs or the absolutely delicious Kelly's Clotted Cream ice cream? :D

Reactions: The-Real-Deal82

Mr_Killjoy

Suspended
Sep 19, 2016
Christ.

ITT:

-The Flaws of Globalism, realized.

-How to buy an iPhone (spoiler: have more money.)

-Morphine Ramblings.

-How to suck at reselling devices.

-Dick measuring via luxury car analogies.

What a wild ride. 10/10, a worldwide effort to show that inadequacy and a lack of intelligence is universal. Well done.

oftheheavens

macrumors 68000
Jul 9, 2008
cherry point
When you think of it like that it's not even a buck a day. Hell some people spend more than that on coffee

exactly my point and I use my phone for entertainment, grad work, email, communicating via phone/text, ordering food, paying for things with apple pay and the list goes on. For about a buck a day I think that a phone even if you have really bad credit and had to buy it outright is still worth the money (plus you can resell it next year and get back around half what you paid).

TrueBlou

macrumors 601
Sep 16, 2014
Scotland
exactly my point and I use my phone for entertainment, grad work, email, communicating via phone/text, ordering food, paying for things with apple pay and the list goes on. For about a buck a day I think that a phone even if you have really bad credit and had to buy it outright is still worth the money (plus you can resell it next year and get back around half what you paid).

For a buck a day I wouldn't care if I didn't get any money back, if I did it would just be a bonus. At that kind of money I think at the end of the year you've had your money's worth, hard to argue with that kind of value.

Reactions: oftheheavens

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
I've had android ( to be specific nexus phones) for as long as I can remember, good prices and unlocked phones , no contracts whatsoever. I really liked them but I hate the direction google is moving now, it's not only that the pixel phones are very expensive, but google is fragmenting android even more, so I figured why not go the apple route this time, no update dramas, a working browser unlike the lag fest that chrome on android is and a really quick camera ... anyways I want to get an iphone 7 plus, but damn 900 euros? I don't want to let myself pay that amount of money for a phone.

How do you guys do it? Yes I know a lot of people buy them in contracts, but I pretty much get a new phone every year because I'm never satisfied ( yes how terrible of me I know) , so it doesnt make sense for me, specially seing how bad the iphone bezels are in need of trimming, besides contracts here in germany are awful, 68 euros a month plus an inicial payment of 290 euros? No thanks!

Is there people out there ( who are not rich ) who pay 900 euros upfront for a phone? :(

P.s. im a student earning 700 euros a month
You don't have to get the iPhone 7.
Apple still sells the 6S and SE.
And Nexus/Pixel is not the only Android phone in the world.
Moto G, OnePlus 3, there are plenty of alternatives.

The questions is not who paid 900Euros for a phone, but instead how many Euros do YOU want to pay for a phone, and then go from there.

petsk

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2009
Regarding the resale value, I've had iPhone 4/5/5s/6/6s and all of them lost around 35% of the value during the first year. The first one, iPhone 4, I had for two years and it lost 60% of its value.

I paid 849€ for the 6s and sold it last week for 540€, in perfect condition, with 36% (-309€) loss of value.

iPhones are expensive and you do get better deals on Android. Take the Google Nexus 5X as an example. Its launch price was 470€ in my country and less than a year later you get it for 220€.

Sure the iPhone 6s is better than Nexus 5X, but is it that much better to justify the huge price difference? It depends on what cash you have in your wallet.

Now I'm rocking the iPhone 7.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.