Do You Regret Purchasing... Wifi/3G iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by HelixOmnimedia, Aug 12, 2011.

1. HelixOmnimedia macrumors 6502a

HelixOmnimedia

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_5 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8L1 Safari/6533.18.5)

So I looks like I'm going to puchase my first iPad come September.

After looking at them both today in the online Apple Store, I asked my flatmate why he picked a WiFi, he has the first generation.

I had an iPhone, got it stolen and went back to an iPod Touch, (have since went and got a new iPhone) but I didn't like not being 'connected'.
    I would be using my iPad for Internet and writing and watching video and stuff, I will be using it when I'm out and about, but I've come to the point of Wifi only or pay the extra 100 for 3G.

To those who have wifi - do you regret not getting 3G

Or

To those who have 3G - do you regret it because you realise you don't use it enough.

2. engelke2010 macrumors 6502a

My iPad2 is 3G and I don't regret spending the extra $$ to get it. I use public transportation to go wherever I am going and because of that, it's not easy to find a WiFi signal. If I am in a place where I can get WiFi, I use it instead of 3G. I'm just glad I have the option to use 3G if I need to. Unlike other tablets, I can stop 3G service anytime I want to and add it back whenever. I am not stuck on a 2 year contract. If AT&T required a contract, I would have gone with the WiFi only.

3. erawsd macrumors 6502

This is one of those things that is entirely unique to you and your habits.

For me, the Wifi model makes the most sense. I only take my iPad with me if Im going to work, school, or my parents house... Which all have wifi. If this were 3 years ago when I didn't have a car and my work place didn't have WIFI everywhere, I'd have been all over 3G.

If you anticipate being connected to wifi 90% of the time I'd spend the extra cash on a WIFI 32gig.

4. Mattstkc macrumors 6502a

Mattstkc

I got the ipad 2 3g, even splurged and got the 64gb. I love always having it with me even if I have another device with connectivity (my iPhone). I prefer using my iPad for everything and have a great case for it that I can carry around, but then again it doesn't go into the Grocery store or movie theater, or most restaurants that I may easily leave it unless I'm planning on using it while in there.

Travelling it has been a lifesaver. I don't even have to carry my work computer any more since I use JumpDesktop to RDP in and can access my entire system when I need to over 3G.

It's definitely worth the 3G, as you can always cancel the data plan and then only activate and pay when you need it. It's a great tool to have available even if you're only using it one or two months per year.

5. Contiguous macrumors member

I got the wifi version; I live in Canada and didn't want to pay through the nose for 3G. I don't regret getting wifi-only; I plan on getting an iPhone once my flip craps out, so I didn't want to pay twice for a 3G plan.

There's only been a couple of times that I'd have wanted 3G anyways; one while stuck in traffic (as a passenger) on the TransCanada and at my parents' house (no internet whatsoever.) Fortunately, I don't mind taking a break from email etc. occasionally...it's relaxing.

6. danpass macrumors 68020

danpass

I had wifi thinking I could live with it ............. nope.

Bought the 3G ............ much better.

But I sold that one as well. I kept trying to make it do what a laptop could do and that just wasn't going to happen.

Got a MBP13i5 yesterday. All that needs is a built-in 3G radio lol

7. boy-better-know macrumors 65816

boy-better-know

My ipad 2 is 3g, and it is definitely worth it. But it is down to preference. You should 1) check availability of 3g in your area. 2) work out if you will use the 3g often. And 3) is there a contract or pay as you go tarrif to suit your needs. Its gonna cost you extra remember.
    My advice is 3g, for sure.

8. Zcott macrumors 68020

My carrier offers free Personal Hotspot from my iPhone, so it's a no-brainer to choose the wifi model. I had a 3G first-generation iPad, and it was excellent, but for the iPad 2 it made sense to go wifi-only.

9. muckymucky macrumors member

muckymucky

those with wifi regret not having the gps radio for when they want to use gps applications like tomtom

10. ATC macrumors 6502a

I was all set to get the 32GB 3G but then I realised my iPhone data plan included tethering for free (I'm in Canada) so I got the 64GB Wifi instead and I do not regret getting the wifi model at all.

I have 6GB of monthly 3G data and I only average about 1GB of that on my iPhone, so that's 5GB for the iPad and it works great with the Personal Hotspot feature on the iPhone. Having said that, I have wifi almost everywhere I go (home, work, hotels, airport etc...) so in hindsight the 3G may not have been the best option for me in any case.

11. bruinsrme macrumors 601

bruinsrme

no regrets, i intentionally bought the 3G version knowing I may never use it but wanted to have the option if I chose to.

12. mpaquette macrumors regular

Have 3G, no regrets. I like knowing I can be connected just about everywhere I go.

13. RossMc macrumors 65816

RossMc

I don't regret getting WiFi only I'm always around WiFi at Home/University etc but when I go out somewhere that I need to take my iPad and theres no Wifi I just use MyWi on my iPhone for connectivity to the iPad.

14. iMrNiceGuy0023 macrumors 68000

I have a WIFI iPad2 and iPhone 4 jailbroken

I tether to my iPad with jailbreak tweaks for free

no regrets here

15. palpatine macrumors 68040

I have wifi and like it, because I refuse to get fleeced any more than I have to by rapacious carriers and their outrageous data plans. Currently, I have a myfi personal hotspot, so all of my devices are always connected (ipod, mbp, ipad, and netbook). You could always try and find a plan allowing tethering, but usually the companies will bleed you with that, and of course, your phone battery will likely evaporate so quickly that you end up unconnected anyways.

In a couple of weeks I will be moving and lose the myfi. I plan to rely on university connections when on campus, but during the periods I am off campus I will simply re-arrange my workflow. The US carriers have designed policies that discourage Internet use beyond emails and light surfing, and they regularly steal from customers with hidden fees, so rather than pay over a thousand dollars a year for that pathetic, throttled access, I'll give my money to companies that respect their customers a bit more. I actually tend to get a lot more done without the Internet sometimes, so it isn't so bad.

If you haven't guessed, I am pretty incensed about the whole mess in the US and it is pretty much impossible for me to even consider locking myself into a carrier with a 3G iPad at this point. Bad news for Apple and bad news for the carriers, but until we extrecate US lawmakers from the pockets of carriers like ATT (merging to become more powerful than it ever was as a regulated monopoly in the 20th century!) I don't see the situation improving.

16. IrishVixen macrumors 68020

IrishVixen

I can honestly say I never once regretted not having GPS on the wifi iPad. And I've never once used it on the 3G version.

As with others though, this really is a matter of personal choice. I had the wifi only for about 9 months, the 3G for about 5 now. I made the switch because my lifestyle changed for a time and I needed the access when outside the house more. Without that change, I would have been happy enough to stay with the wifi only.

17. vstephenson macrumors member

Doesnt matter

There are so many options now depending upon your needs...

Get the 3g one
    Get a myfi dongle thing (hotspot generator so you can connect more devices)
    If you use an iphone, jailbreak it
    If you can afford it and have suitable plan, use iOS tethering

Work out you needs and pick one that fits them and your budget

18. anjinha macrumors 604

anjinha

For my first iPad I picked the WiFi one and it was fine at that time. For the iPad 2 I picked the 3G model because I'm now traveling enough that 3G makes sense. It's very useful in airports when they don't have free wifi or the wifi is slow because everyone else is on it, in trains... Also I can just buy a local micro SIM when visiting a new country.

19. greytmom macrumors 68040

greytmom

I have 3G and I don't regret it at all. I use it quite a bit.

20. Batt macrumors 65816

Batt

3G for these three letters, if nothing else: GPS.

21. ChristianJapan macrumors 601

ChristianJapan

as long we will see simlock in Japan also on iPad I will never buy one in 3G again; don't make sense. Actually I have one now but the contract is prepaid and auto-recharging disabled. So defacto not relevant.

I don't have a need to GPS as I also have a iPhone which is more of the time with me.

Plus I got finally a nice little 4G/LTE mobile router and connect all my mobile devices to the internet (MBA, iPod, iPad, ....) and even can invite a friend to join my network. Much more flexible.

Once the SIMLOCK is gone I would buy again in 3G as the resell will be better

22. karilynn macrumors regular

karilynn

I have wifi only and I love it. I have a jailbroken iPhone 4 with unlimited data and I tether to my iPad. If you're using your iPad mostly at home, there really isn't a need. Or if you have an iPhone. But it really depends on what you do with it. I just don't like spending 130 dollars more for something along with an additional 20+ a month for something I don't even need anyway.

23. Matthew9559 macrumors 6502a

Matthew9559

I have the 3G, prolly won't get a 3G next time.

Everywhere I use my iPad has wifi and really haven't used the 3G aspect much. Maybe 4-5 months total out of having it since release. It is nice but not worth the $ for my use. Wifi it is for me!

24. aristobrat macrumors G4

Weird the US gets totally unlocked iPads and Japan doesn't. So Japanese iPads are SIM-locked while in Japan, but aren't locked when used outside of Japan? Odd...

25. Batavian macrumors 6502

Batavian

ditto.