Do you regret upgrading to Leopard?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by calhotdog, Oct 28, 2007.

1. calhotdog macrumors newbie

I've always been an Apple fan. But Leopard is a huge, huge disappointment.
    So many incompatibilities. So unstable. And not many improvements.
    The OS has crashed on me once. NTFS-3g doesn't work any more. The Apple remote doesn't work with VLC any more. And even the humble little wClock doesn't work any more. :mad:

2. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I actually don't agree. I see where you are coming from, many people in this forum have been complaining, but it's just part of the upgrade process. I'm confident that Apple will fix many bugs (and I've experienced them and have been reporting them).

I think it's refreshing to see the OS improve, however, I think there are some things that we will need to get used to. For instance, I like the new Front Row interface, but there are some things I don't like about it.

Overall, I think Leopard's a great improvement and the bugs and crashes will go away soon.

3. Cheesecake macrumors member

I don't regret it at all. At least not yet. I haven't gone through my third party apps to see what works and what doesn't, but so far the biggest thing for me is Spaces. I had been running a similar program in Tiger but for some reason the way Spaces implements itself really does the job for me. It really speeds things up for me, and so far is the most used out of all of the new features in Leopard thus far.

4. tersono macrumors 68000

tersono

Hell no! Best OS upgrade I've ever done, to tell the truth. Everything worked perfectly first time on both machines I've upgraded. No issues at all

5. poppe macrumors 68020

poppe

Wow that is really sad. I am sorry.

My experience has been quite the opposite. Everything works amazingly! All my files transfered wonderfully. All my preferences/settings etc. transferred and are in working order.

I have only had 2-3 things that have not worked. One was HTTP hotmail thing for the mail app. Now I have to check it via safari (sad day).

When I bought my MBP it was my first computer (that I owned and worked to own; damn you blockbuster). Because of all the reading and information I collected on OS X, I was not all that impressed by Tiger. It was better than windows, but I was not all that amazed or happy. The worst problem I had with tiger was its stability. My computer always got Beach Ball of Death, random restarts, and programs crashing. That all changed when I got Leopard. Everything works amazingly now. For almost 6 months my address book would not open up at all, but after I installed Leopard I can once again add entries to my address book!!

My friend on the other hand is having the worse time with Leopard as well. His computer would not install at all. It installed enough to leave him in limbo between leopard and tiger, so now he can access his files (work files especially) because of the problem. He doesn't know what to do because the files can not be seen by anyone so he can't take it in to the geniuses...

6. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

Im not disappointed at all. I have installed it on two computers with no problem and tried installing it on a third but did not realize it did not have enough RAM. But thats my fault.

It seems most of the complaints about stability are directly related to 3d party applications. This is not Apple's fault - but rather developers that failed their customers and users by not being prepaired - everyone has known about Leopards release for years now. There is no excuse for developers that charge for programs if they are not working. If free programs have a problem - well you get what you paid for - still not Apple's fault.

I'm a Graphic Designer and Cloned my drive just in case because I need my MacBook Pro. I highly recommend this method on any update.

7. iBunny macrumors 65816

I do not regret upgrading. It has been the best so far. Everything works for me, and its approx 20% faster (by my approximation) than Tiger was.

8. mcdj macrumors 604

mcdj

I humbly reinstalled Tiger tonight. Leopard has too many omissions and wonky implementations of well intentioned ideas gone bad.

My bigger issues were...

Lack of Safariblock support.
    Stacks are dumb and I don't want to have to make a stupid alias to add a folder to the dock.
    The 3d dock is fugly. The 2d dock fix is too opaque.
    Printing in Lightroom is hosed.
    The straw that broke the back was not being able to sort Finder searches by size, date modded, etc.

Not unlike the iPhone, with Leopard, Apple seems to have spent more time polishing several things we don't really need than improving a few key things we do need. And their increasingly prevalent see-sawing methods of adding one feature while shackling another instead of offering both, is becoming increasingly problematic and tiresome.

I liked the hope Leopard brought more than the reality. I guess I'll just wait out the updates and/or 3rd party fixes.

9. ivnj macrumors 65816

10. mmendoza27 macrumors 6502

I think that's part of the reason people are upset at Leopard, because of 3rd party apps problems. For instance, if you were a user of Application Enhancer (APE) then you probably had a very frustrating time installing Leopard.

This is just the beginning, give it some time, let developers hop on board and start improving their programs. I think that by MacWorld 2008, Leopard will be a much more appealing upgrade.

11. pjarvi macrumors 65816

pjarvi

Zero crashes here. Of the 3 3rd party apps I've installed (EyeTV, Turbo.264, and VMware Fusion), all three are running perfectly.

I love Leopard, it's sooo much better than Tiger. :D

12. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

I'm a bit disappointed. Leopard cost £85 in the UK ($170) for single licence, whereas Tiger and Panther cost only £69 even when the US exchange rate was worse.

Stacks look nice but they actually lose functionailty over the previous folder-in-dock arrangement. In previous versions, dragging a folder into the dock full of application aliases for example would enable a stacked 'Windows Start Menu' by holding down the button. You could delve deep into folders contained within via stacked menus. But now, folders within a stack are ironically not stacked, meaning a laborious opening of the finder is now neccessary. Plus, a fan view stack can only display 7 items before displaying the 'more in Finder' menu. Style over function or useability. Sigh.

It's nice that the Finder is now a Cocoa app (finally!), but the view behaviour can be a little odd. For example, in the simple view, you can set your Mac HD to always view as simple icon view but, e.g. if you keep your default view as cover flow, then any further generated windows will be in cover flow, with no easy option to change view. Cover Flow looks nice but its useability is pretty rubbish (being a very slow way to navigate), and unnecessary in my view seeing as quick look functions well.

The number of usability changes from Tiger staggers me, and will cause much confusion for lots of users. Doubly bad if you are caught without internet, as I was this weekend, as the help system is completely online only. Spotlight has changed - if you click on the 'show all' it goes to a Finder window, not the previous Tiger window with many options.

But the worst culpit is the new window appearance. Apple has seemingly consigned the Aqua and its pinstripes to the graveyard, preferring a drab grey instead. It has also increased the depth of drop shadows to give windows a more 3D and cartoony look. However, in doing so, inactive windows now appear pretty much exactly like active windows did in Tiger, which could be confusing. This came up before, when inactive Panther windows looked similar to active Jaguar windows (althuogh Panther introduced more subtle pinstripes and so the effect was less marked than in Leopard). Interestingly, iTunes doesn't support the new unified interface.

My Mac doesn't even support the fake transparency in the menu bar (preferring a drab grey that looks like Mac OS 9 instead), even though all other effects are fast and supported.

There are lots of things I like about Leopard, but there are some annoyances as well.

13. ProstheticHead macrumors 6502

I'm torn on Leopard, I mean I like it, but I like Tiger as well.

I am disappointed that Apple did not implement the Classic environment for PPC users. That was a major upset for me. Can't play The Oregon Trail any more thanks to that. :mad: Now I'll have to find a copy to play through VPC! :D

The stacks get a little ugly when you have bunches of various things, and I refuse to use them in fan formation, too much of a phallic resemblance for my liking.

I will say that I do enjoy the speedier behavior of Front Row, but my Activity Monitor no longer opens.

We'll see in the next month or so if there's any improvements on some of the other minor issues, or else I may be transitioning back to Tiger as well, at least til future updates can make things a little smoother on my end.

And in response to johnnyjibbs about the menu bar, be thankful your PB doesn't support the transparency. It annoys the heck out of me. I am thankful the airport menu actually lists whether a network is locked or not though.

14. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

What?! If true, that's completely and utterly absurd. And yeah, the price of it here in the UK is steep for what it is...

15. merc669 macrumors 6502

merc669

Sorry but quite happy so far. Yes there are a few incompatabilites which I have already upgraded (TABS for Safari, smcFanControl, etc). Unstable - No! The Clock works fine for me. Cannot answer on VLC. NTFS (NT File System?) after reading a number of links was hit or miss but now connects to my main internal server. So far quite pleased with the upgrade. I am sure there are some programs that will need to be updated and Apple will probably be out with a Bug-Fix or two. But disappointed - No.....

Bill......:apple:

16. Taylor C macrumors 6502a

No compatibility issues at all, I'm absolutely loving Leopard. Huge improvement over Tiger, I love it.

17. cooknwitha macrumors 6502a

cooknwitha

I guess one thing we've all got to put in perspective is that this is version 10.5.0 and I'd be really interested to find out how stable and harmonious everything was back with 10.4.0.

Remember Leopard isn't 10.5.0, it's 10.5.x so give it time. Besides, isn't it a rule of thumb that all x.0 releases are a little buggy??

So perhaps instead of people complaining about Leopard, look at it as a starting point. Apple listens. Things will improve. (Remember the widget manager's arrival??!)

18. Bigtree macrumors 6502

NO!

Everything went perfect, no problems, it is fantastic!!!!!!

It was well worth standing in line for; even in the cold!!!!!!

19. DerChef macrumors 6502

DerChef

I was going to start a thread saying

No problems with leopard SHOCKER:mad::mad: :eek: but didn't want to be branded a troll

I installed Leopard as a straight upgrade no problems at all.

After all the indexing and cashes got cleaned out performance is at least as good as Tiger and very much improved in some areas namely the lightning fast new spotlight.

Spaces is a godsend on my small screened Macbook when on the move as is icon previews of PDFs !

Stacks works a dam site better than the old way the applications folder worked in the right hand side of the dock.

Quick look works instantaneously and I have no choppy video playback

also certain apps people are reporting as DONT WORK is a plain and simple lie namely Flip4mac and Parallels.

The apps that dont work I knew in advance namely supderduper and the Tinkertools

Only grips I have is slowness in disk utility and Quicksilver icon not hiding in the dock.:p

20. Wayfarer macrumors 65816

Wayfarer

Something's definitely wrong there. I've been using Leopard since release day. It is quite stable, fast and impressive on my iMac G5 1.8Ghz, 1GB Ram. Better than Tiger, I would say.

All of my favorite applications work. No crashes yet, and I use wClock and it still still runs great!

I suspect Apple will gradually improve it through incremental updates.

21. erandall38 macrumors 6502

No way! I love the new OS...no problems... yet.

22. Malcster macrumors 6502

Not at all, loving it so far, the only bug ive found so far is my iTunes Library Art Screensaver is pink! but other than that no problems.

How did i ever manage without Quicklook before? its awesome.
    Mail is so much faster its untrue, RSS feeds is a great touch.
    Time Machine works so well i don't even realise its running.
    I adore Spaces, initially i just thought it was just a nice touch, but its become integral to my use of the mac now.
    New Dock looks great, some visual representation of which Space an App was running in would be sweet tho.

Very happy, glad i upgraded.

23. rushmere macrumors 6502

rushmere

I'm really surprised by the number of complaints about Leopard.

I fear it's a sign of the times - there are far too many people now who expect instant perfection. Writing Operating Systems is a complex business, and it will never be perfect first time. Sadly, there are many people on here who updated the minute Leopard was released (or before in some cases), and complain bitterly because their favourite application isn't working, or something they used to do doesn't work exactly the same way as it did before. Even worse, there are a few out there who claim they depend upon their Mac for their livelihood, and they've upgraded on the first day, with no prior testing, and are now complaining that their productivity is suffering. Frankly, anyone who upgrades a working environment on the day of a new Operating System release is a fool.

Upgrading to a new Operating System on the first day of release is an adventure that should be relished. I've had a great time playing with Leopard over the last couple of days. It's a fantastic piece of software, and I'm loving discovering the new features. Sure, there are some bugs, and some applications haven't caught up yet, but it will get there over the next few weeks. Apple have done a superb job with this new release. It's the best upgrade I've experienced for many years, and it's one of the most polished new releases I've ever seen (although, admittedly, I was a Windows guy until about 18 months ago, so I'm new to the Apple way of releasing new Operating Systems). When I compare it with the problems I had with Vista, it puts this release into perspective. The great thing is, it's going to get even better over the coming weeks and months.

Report those bugs to help Apple and other developers iron out the problems, but don't forget to enjoy yourself along the way. I hope you don't all have to wait too long to get your favourite applications and/or features working 100%. However, these kind of launch events don't happen too often, and they should be savoured!