Do you swim/shower with your AW?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by matt9013, Feb 27, 2016.

1. matt9013 macrumors 6502

matt9013

I've seen a lot of videos of people swimming with the AW and nothing happens. Anyone hear actually swim or shower with it? I basically need it to be splash proof with some light submerging.

2. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

Not regularly, but I did today. I had just finished a 100 minute indoor bike workout, and it was due for a deep cleaning. Most of the time, I give it a very good rinse under the faucet after a workout.

3. Umbrarian macrumors member

Shower no, an occasional swim yes. Some underwater apps would be cool to have.

4. Michael/O macrumors member

Michael/O

I've showered with the watch after a workout a number of times. No problems.

5. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Shower with mine nearly every day. Only have been to the pool once.

[​IMG]

6. SilentDoom macrumors member

Shower with mine and regularly dunk it into water at work. Being in the food industry, you're not really supposed to be wearing watches(raw chicken and other bacteria). I dunk it into the sink to pull the drain, and probably wash it throughly 25-50 times a day with soap as well as sanitizer... Soap is a no-no even for rolexes as it likes to get into any cracks, but I've had an Apple Watch since day one and haven't had any problems! Ymmv

7. odHbo macrumors member

I've showered with mine nearly everyday since I received it. No problems whatsoever! Its not as easy as using it when it's dry (which is my personal belief why Apple says it's not water-proof and only 'water-resistant') but I use a simple, button free watch face in the shower and it's fine. image.jpeg

8. matt9013 thread starter macrumors 6502

matt9013

Awesome, thanks for the replies. Sounds like it meets my water needs.

9. andyt3 macrumors member

Good to know, I'll have to give that a shot! Thanks.

10. ericgedi77 macrumors member

Mine went on a 4 hour creek tubing trip a couple of times this summer.

11. zhenya macrumors 603

zhenya

My guess, based on experience with previous watches glued together, is that it will hold up for a year or two of regular water exposure before the glue breaks down and it starts to come apart.

12. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Likely true. Apple's been gluing gadgets together for quite a while, but it's still a reservation I have. For now, I'm sticking with Cook's comments about how he showers with his own, and that the AW will tolerate water better than my unprotected iPod Nano could.

13. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

The only thing to be aware of is that sometimes a little droplet of water stays in the speaker hole. When this happens, you lose sound. But, if you just blow into the hole, it clears it out.

14. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

I keep hearing that he never actually said that...

15. exxxviii macrumors 65816

exxxviii

16. BarracksSi, Feb 28, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 28, 2016

BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

^^^^^ Besides, why would Apple not learn from the 6th-gen iPod Nano's lack of waterproofing? I think even Phil Schiller had taken to wearing his Nano as a watch.

When I tried it with my own Nano, I thought it was neat all the way up to when I washed my hands in the bathroom. I had never been so worried about getting a watch wet. It was the last day I tried wearing my Nano as a watch.

Adding the MacRumors page about the same report:
    http://www.macrumors.com/2015/02/25/apple-watch-water-resistance/

17. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Do you wash dishes or wash hands with the watch on?

18. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Yup.

19. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Went back after I posted and saw you said you showered with it. Decided to make things interesting and leave the post...

For the first month, I'd always take the thing off to wash dishes with it. I'm past that now, but I'm going to need to be talked up to showering..

20. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

When it gets weird is when you send a text or take a call in the shower.

I was glad the AW doesn't have a camera.

21. IphoneIssues macrumors 65816

Some guy posted in the iPhone forum about an incident that occurred with his new 6s. He sent his parents a picture of something outside his apartment window, and the phone was accidentally in Live Photo mode. He took the picture of what he wanted, and then he turned away. He was naked and the live photo caught a shot of his junk...at least it's something they've seen before...

Maybe I'll try the shower thing just for the hell of it. Think I need to be extra mindful of water where on the watch the water is hitting?

22. BarracksSi macrumors 68040

BarracksSi

Maybe.

One of the texts I sent from the shower was to a group, so "Hey Siri" wasn't enough -- I had to manipulate the screen (Motley Crue tickets were at stake!). The only way I could work the screen was to blow the water off the watch and my fingertip.

23. The Doctor11 macrumors 603

The Doctor11

I shower with mine daily and took it for fast 25 yards down the pool but that was an accident :eek:.

I work in a water park and I think it's kinda interesting how many people were wearing their watches on the various water rides. I was seeing at least one watch a day and that was back in August. I can't wait to see how many watches I spot this year as I take it many more people own watches now.

24. ladytonya macrumors 6502a

Wow, those videos are amazing! Not sure if I have the balls to do that although I would love to keep my watch on at a water park. I love my Apple watch and would hate for anything to happen to it!